You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This is what he actually said!¬

"We had a certain budget we had to work within and even to get those one or two players we had to move one or two out.

I think that's more to do with wages, surely? How much have we recouped?

Not the most exciting comments, and doesn't suggest great backing. We've seen a fair bit go out, so it's not really matching up at the moment.

I think that's more to do with wages, surely? How much have we recouped?

Not the most exciting comments, and doesn't suggest great backing. We've seen a fair bit go out, so it's not really matching up at the moment.

I think it is referring to the wages as well! I think you can borrow against a transfer fee, but not the wages. ( I don't mean legally by the way, I mean from FSG point of view it would not be a big deal to argue that they will eventually sell Caroll or Adam, but the wages is different)

you've conveniently left out of your list, Agger. Is he also a burden in the wage bill, doesn't contribute much type of player?

Good to see that you are also willing to give enough time to young players like Henderson and Carroll in order to develop. I don't know what is Ferguson thinking and not trying to sell Jones and especially De Gea who had a nightmare of a season.

Oh dear lord...

Agger, when fit, DOES actually contribute something on the pitch and is one of the best ball playing defenders in the league, which is why most would actually want him to stay on.

And lets not get given all the tosh about Carroll's wonderful hold up play, and amazing heading ability, fact of the matter is, we look to play the ball on the deck mostly, and he's got almost no mobility and his technique is lacking, and speed and game intelligence is something that's very difficult to drill into someone at 23/24 years of age. We're not Shitty or the chavs, we cant afford to have a back up plan B on the bench earning 80mk per week, nor can we afford to let him waste away in the reserves whilst eating a significant portion of our wage bucket every week for doing nothing.

Henderson only performs when there is no pressure to do so. He's not the next Xavi, he's not the next Gerrard, he's a passenger, and that is exactly what we do not need. If he can pull his fucking finger out, then yeah, Rodgers might give him a go, as he's the only player I listed with some potential to actually play the game.

And you can add Downing to that list as well.

IF you're so concerned about what Slur is doing, or how he treats jones and de gea, go register on fucking red cafe.

This is what he actually said!¬

"We had a certain budget we had to work within and even to get those one or two players we had to move one or two out.

"That is something which doesn't worry or frustrate me, it is the real world we are in here.

"It just means we have to be effective with the players we have.

"If we don't have that money we have to be different in different ways and one way we can hopefully gain an edge is the way we play, controlling and dominating games.

"Everyone wants the money but you can't always have the money."

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers optimistic he can strengthen Anfield squad before opening match - Telegraph

This is what i actually heard him say

the reality is we didnt have the money this year

this is from the official lfc site

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So if we didn't have any money, where has the £25.5m come from? Where will the money come from for the two players coming in?

Honestly, the manager wont come out and say we have 100mil to spend on players (not that we do). To me (the optimist in me at least), that sounds like someone keeping their cards close to their chest.

If we aint that broke mate

why are we supposed to be trying to raise money by selling players

and taking players on loan

We seem to be falling behind the top 4 or 5 in the money stakes mate.

We are standing on our two feet, which is preferable than having a rich sugar daddy.

We are not completely broke.

I will let the pros explain this one.

Take it away Mr. Henry:

--------------------

Henry: Liverpool revival will take time - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Henry: Liverpool revival will take time

Owner John Henry says Liverpool face a huge financial challenge to compete with the very best as the English Premier League side continues to pay the price for the failings of the previous regime.

Henry told British media on Thursday that the Fenway Sports Group (FSG) were committed to restoring the Reds to the top of the English game but warned not to expect a change of fortunes as rapid as the one achieved with the Boston Red Sox.

FSG acquired the Major League Baseball team in 2002 and within two years, they ended an 86-year wait to win the World Series.

They completed their Anfield takeover in October 2010, bringing to an end the acrimonious reign of fellow Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

"The best analogy is that you can't turn an ocean liner around like you can turn a speedboat," said Henry, whose consortium paid £300 million for the club when they were on the brink of administration.

"When you look at the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United, Liverpool isn't holding up its side of the rivalry.

"That is the way it was with the Red Sox and the (New York) Yankees," he added. "The Yankees were just completely dominant when we arrived.

"We knew we could never be on an equal footing financially with the Yankees. But we had to do everything in our power to get on a level footing with them on the playing field.

"That was a tremendous challenge. You could say Liverpool is an even bigger challenge than the Red Sox."

Liverpool, who won the last of their 18 English titles in 1990, have finished sixth and eighth in the Premier League over the past two seasons.

Principal owner Henry and chairman Tom Werner said transforming the club's fortunes would take time, with a squad in need of strengthening and an inflated wage bill to reduce.

"We looked at how the situation was financially, with the player contracts and the youth system," Henry said. "The further we went into it, the more sobered we were.

"Looking back at the day we bought Liverpool, I was trying to make a point then about how much of a challenge it was going to be because of the issues we inherited.

"We had a lack of depth in the squad and some really high payrolls. We also had issues with the age of the players and so forth. We knew it was going to be very difficult."

Werner promised FSG were serious about building for the future.

"We feel that we have work to do," he said. "We feel that we are behind - but we are on it. Do we feel that it is possible to get on a level with (the top European) clubs? Absolutely.

"We can close that gap and compete at the very highest level. Absolutely."

Edited by WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Honestly, the manager wont come out and say we have 100mil to spend on players (not that we do). To me (the optimist in me at least), that sounds like someone keeping their cards close to their chest.

Yeah, possibly. Given that we've actually spent quite a lot of money, appear to have more players coming in and had very little come into the club in way of transfer fees (in fact, we've probably spent quite a lot paying off players contracts in order to get them to fuck off). Seems a little odd to say that.

However, if it's true, questions will be asked. Rightly so.

I get the feeling that people are still weary of Americans owners, scared by the precious regime.

Not only because we are still paying the price for the financial turmoil that was caused during regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillette financially but we are also still paying it emotionally.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Brendan didnt say where the money £25.5m actually came from

But I'm asking you, if "the reality is we didnt[sic] have the money this year", where did we get the £25.5m for Borini and Allen, and where are we getting the loan fee for Sahin and the money for the second player (thought to be €17m for Callejón) coming from? Have we sold players for big money?

Well Jones is not 23! And does not have a demonstrable weakness like Caroll e.g. slow as fuck and not particularly flexible. Henderson won't leave because he isn't as poor as Caroll.

Spearing and Adam are not needed, so clearly surplus to requirements. And Caroll is worth £20m!

Anyhow, judging by Henry's comments the focus seems to have been on reducing the wage bill rather than bring money in per se.

No the difference is Jones plays fpr a club which although we don't like their manager has imposed to fans and media the culture of patience with players. Jones is actually quite short(180) for a central defender. Unless he becomes the new Cannavaro, he'll find it hard to compete at the very top. There is no reason why he wouldn't develop into the next Cannavaro though.

If De Gea, Nani or Jones had signed for Liverpool, fans and media would have ruined them after their first season.

Instead of this nonsense about Carroll and Jones. Why don't you admit that Liverpool fans haven't got the culture of patience with young players? That if a player is not a wonderkid like Owen or Gerrard and doesn't hit the ground running like Torres, won't be given enough time to prove himself before they start calling him names and ruin his confidence?

This was emphatically proved with Lucas. The guy was considered for at least 3 seasons not good enough, flop, slow, boring, headless chicken etc.... they even booed him. That's how patient fans are with players. Every single pundit I can remember, was calling him "not Liverpool material", not "Top 4 material" etc... After 3 seasons with the support of Rafa he developed into one of the finest midfielders in the league, he even captained his country's national team, certain Brazil.

Yet many fans would go to extreme lenghs to justify the owners' decisions. This is a pradox. They haven't got patience with Carroll or Henderson, but they're willing to overlook the owners failings.It's got to do something with what that Canadian guy mentioned the other day. Something about authority.

Finally something about Carroll. This summer Arsenal signed the French equivalent of Carroll, a tall strong, left footed, pure target man, Giroud. Age 25, two years older than Carroll. I bet Wenger has the know how to turn him into a world class player.

No the difference is Jones plays fpr a club which although we don't like their manager has imposed to fans and media the culture of patience with players. Jones is actually quite short(180) for a central defender. Unless he becomes the new Cannavaro, he'll find it hard to compete at the very top. There is no reason why he wouldn't develop into the next Cannavaro though.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about our fans not giving players a chance but Phil Jones is utter shite and I can't see that changing anytime soon

But I'm asking you, if "the reality is we didnt[sic] have the money this year", where did we get the £25.5m for Borini and Allen, and where are we getting the loan fee for Sahin and the money for the second player (thought to be €17m for Callejón) coming from? Have we sold players for big money?

Remains to be seen if we'll sign anyone else for reasonably big money. Personally, I can only see it happening if we sell Agger or Carroll.

The real change is in terms of the wage bill, as younger players do not command as much as senior pros.

For Sahin, is there a loan fee? What is it?

If De Gea, Nani or Jones had signed for Liverpool, fans and media would have ruined them after their first season.

Instead of this nonsense about Carroll and Jones. Why don't you admit that Liverpool fans haven't got the culture of patience with young players? That if a player is not a wonderkid like Owen or Gerrard and doesn't hit the ground running like Torres, won't be given enough time to prove himself before they start calling him names and ruin his confidence?

This was emphatically proved with Lucas. The guy was considered for at least 3 seasons not good enough, flop, slow, boring, headless chicken etc.... they even booed him. That's how patient fans are with players. Every single pundit I can remember, was calling him "not Liverpool material", not "Top 4 material" etc... After 3 seasons with the support of Rafa he developed into one of the finest midfielders in the league, he even captained his country's national team, certain Brazil.

Yet many fans would go to extreme lenghs to justify the owners' decisions. This is a pradox. They haven't got patience with Carroll or Henderson, but they're willing to overlook the owners failings.It's got to do something with what that Canadian guy mentioned the other day. Something about authority.

Finally something about Carroll. This summer Arsenal signed the French equivalent of Carroll, a tall strong, left footed, pure target man, Giroud. Age 25, two years older than Carroll. I bet Wenger has the know how to turn him into a world class player.

Well, since I never mentioned Lucas, also supported Henderson and simply stated Caroll is not going to make it I am not sure why you decided to have a mad rant like that!

Caroll is not good enough and should never have been bought, we all know this! Your talk about patience is fine, but there is the flip side to that which is don't spend £35m on a 22 year old on the back of a decent 6 months in the premiership! Have the patience to see if that is nothing more than a purple patch. Form is temporary class is permanent works is not just relevant to someone out of form.

Patience isn't always about giving the youth a chance to come good, it is simply about giving them the opportunity to prove how good they are. You shouldn't write off a young player on the back of a decent season, and equally you shouldn't praise them to the hilt on the back of a decent season.

I suspect it's a lot easier to display patience with developing players when you are at the top of the league and competing in the CL.

The booing is frustration at results not necessarily aimed at the players. If you're frustrated you lash out at the easiest target.