You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Loans can be good if you get a Mascherno or Anelka like we have done in the past or an equivalent like Adebayor, someone who can make a big impact for a team like he did for spurs. Players who can improve the first team is what we need.

As long as we don't get a player out of some youth team who hasn't played much football. What is the point of improving another clubs player and blocking potential talent coming through from our own academy.

I disagree mate, I think they're still relevant. After all, Chelsea didn't just hand us £50m for Torres because they're nice guys; they did it because he had been the best striker the club had seen in 17 years since a prime Fowler, scored 65 goals in 102 games and been our attacking focal point for four years. Any understanding of our spending has be to viewed in the context of having to replace what had been a phenomenal Liverpool striker.

I definitely agree that our dealings have been awful, though.

Actually, no relevance to your response, but my post should have read over the last four years than over the last four managers. I think Benitez did quite well in the market up to the summer of Keane/Dossena.

Yeah, no doubting Torres was a phenomenal striker for us but my point was how that money was wasted. Within hours, we'd spent the vast bulk on an injured and largely unproven replacement. I just think that particular £50m is key in our decline. It needed to be spent correctly and £35m could have bought us just about any attacking talent in Europe bar Messi or Ronaldo!

Carroll scored just eleven goals in over a year and a half and has achieved some kind of odd cult status among elements of the fanbase like he's some plucky kid we signed for £1.2m, just because he knuckled down and did his best in the last weeks of the season.

I'm rambling and meandering a bit but I guess my main point is that saying that Kenny only spent £23m or £27m doesn't take into context the further deterioration of the squad over that time.

And then the players who could help with the transition, with experience playing his way have left (maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani) or we were outgunned for (sigurdsson).

Players who you would think would struggle with his pass and think look like remaining (cole).

The three you mentioned are the least likely to fit in for different reasons. Kuyts poor first touch in the position he would have had to play and Maxi and Aquilanis defensive shortcomings seem obvious. IMO he will give Cole a chance because he has shown a willingness to work off the ball (whether he can do it for 90 minutes shall be seen) and he can play some nice tight stuff in the middle third.

The three you mentioned are the least likely to fit in for different reasons. Kuyts poor first touch in the position he would have had to play and Maxi and Aquilanis defensive shortcomings seem obvious. IMO he will give Cole a chance because he has shown a willingness to work off the ball (whether he can do it for 90 minutes shall be seen) and he can play some nice tight stuff in the middle third.

Kuyt's off the ball movement, pressing and tracking made him an asset to a team that relied on a similar approach. Maxi and Aquilani both have the intelligence and technique to actually be able to play the ball under pressure; to pass and think.

It's no surprise that the only time we've played the kind of final 3rd football Rodgers' aspires to recently is when Maxi and Kuyt were paired with miereles and Suarez. Aquilani could almost certainly play that supporting role miereles did.

And cole. Nice and tight but wrong decision after wrong decision. Englands great under-achiever because he's stupid as ancelotti pointed out when he let him go. All that notwithstanding issues about injuries, fitness, wages, etc.

As an experimental theory, and I don't know the answer to this, but what impact would it have if we went all out and signed Neymar and Messi?

Seriously, as a business plan, how Risky would that be?

I suspect £45m would get Neymar, and likely £100m to get Messi.

Factor in wages, and it's £10m a year for Neymar and £20m a year for Messi.

So, over 5 years that's an outlay of £295m on two players.

What sort of deficit would the club be running at after 5 years? How much of that would we get back over that period?

If Messi were to get sold tommorow as crazy as it sounds he would go for nearer £150mil than £100mil.

I think blaming Rogers and FSG for the current transfer mailaise is very unfair, Joe Cole is costing us £5m a year, if we were to add in Maxi and Aquilani you would be adding almost £10m, that is between £10-15m, a year on three players who would not be first team players! They needed to be shifted, and if Comoli had of done his job last year rather than stick a plaster over the problem, we wouldn't be needing to focus upon wage reducation again this year!

Caroll is a £20m pound assett who won't play, which is why he is being focussed upon, and whilst Spearing, Adam and Downing should follow their wages are not as much, and they are not worth as much. We have mid table players on top wages, with little prospect of shifting them.

I still think two or three signings will arrive, and hopefully a couple of loan signings also. I really do think that people need to realise that we need to see a shift in the way we behave in the transfer market, we need to better at getting top fees, and better at negotiating with other clubs, the fact that Newcastle managed to get a sell on clause inserted in the Andy Caroll deal is quite telling, that culture needs to be ended. Caroll goes for £18-20m, or he doesn't go.

We should never have bought Jordan Henderson last season, as good as I think he could be, he was never able to play on the right, and if you bought him for the centre then Adam should never have been bought. The whole of last seasons transfer window was a monumental fuck up, and I would hope that FSG stop and think. We have been throwing money at the club for years, when was the last bargain we picked up? Who was the last youth signing to come through?

Bullseye.

Kuyt's off the ball movement, pressing and tracking made him an asset to a team that relied on a similar approach. Maxi and Aquilani both have the intelligence and technique to actually be able to play the ball under pressure; to pass and think.

It's no surprise that the only time we've played the kind of final 3rd football Rodgers' aspires to recently is when Maxi and Kuyt were paired with miereles and Suarez. Aquilani could almost certainly play that supporting role miereles did.

And cole. Nice and tight but wrong decision after wrong decision. Englands great under-achiever because he's stupid as ancelotti pointed out when he let him go. All that notwithstanding issues about injuries, fitness, wages, etc.

I think you are ignoring the reality, Pisky. I agree with you about the type of players we need, but you cannot ignore the shocking displays from Kuyt last year especially, and the fact that Maxi (who I really like and actually is one of those players you aspire to) cannot make it beyond 70 minutes. Miereles was also far more dynamic than Aquilani - they are only similar in that they are comfortable with the ball and can make and receive a pass.

Cole reminds me of a 17-18 year old, in that he appears not to have learned anything about the game, particularly when it comes to making decisions. I do believe he is genuinely slightly retarded. I'm hoping that Rodgers might think about playing Johnson further forward, as it appears that pass and move comes a little more naturally to him than it does to some other candidates. Ideally, of course, I'd like to see us upgrade the players we've shipped out, but it's not at all clear whether Rodgers has any money.

Make or break year for Henderson, this. And Gerrard.

I think you are ignoring the reality, Pisky. I agree with you about the type of players we need, but you cannot ignore the shocking displays from Kuyt last year especially, and the fact that Maxi (who I really like and actually is one of those players you aspire to) cannot make it beyond 70 minutes. Miereles was also far more dynamic than Aquilani - they are only similar in that they are comfortable with the ball and can make and receive a pass.

Cole reminds me of a 17-18 year old, in that he appears not to have learned anything about the game, particularly when it comes to making decisions. I do believe he is genuinely slightly retarded. I'm hoping that Rodgers might think about playing Johnson further forward, as it appears that pass and move comes a little more naturally to him than it does to some other candidates. Ideally, of course, I'd like to see us upgrade the players we've shipped out, but it's not at all clear whether Rodgers has any money.

Make or break year for Henderson, this. And Gerrard.

Break, if I was to put money on it. The one thing he had going for him last year was his age in that it was always thrown out whenever he was criticised. He showed nothing that Danny Guthrie wouldn't have if we'd kept him, not that he was good enough either.

'Henderson's going to be great,' is one of most bizarre lines that gets spun out here too often. Why is he going to be great? Because all players who have a poor first season suddenly improve? Because all average young players automatically graduate to a decent standard at the age of 22 or 23?

Nothing against him personally, but I can only imagine the overjoyed disbelief of the Sunderland beancounters when we met their initial quote last summer.

And maybe a sports psychologist can convince Gerrard that we're playing Everton every week.

Cathartic Saturday evening rant over.

The whole of last seasons transfer window was a monumental fuck up, and I would hope that FSG stop and think. We have been throwing money at the club for years, when was the last bargain we picked up? Who was the last youth signing to come through?

A customarily shrewd post, Whelan.

The disconnect that there has been in our transfer policy and contractual dealings from AA onwards shows no sign of being repaired.

AA was an unacceptable risk- but there was no-one around to say “no” to Rafa. Joe Cole was a gamble with the gambler vacating the table before the time came to settle up. The whole Hodgson appointment, and his contract were, ill conceived. As was KK’s contract. The principle of a DOF was sound, the application farcical. FSG’s detachment from the Torres windfall, repeated in the Suarez affair, was madness. Leaving a manager with one year’s PL experience in charge of transfers is hugely high risk.

I am backing Rodgers. I hope it works out. The appointment of the City scouting team after the void of the KK era is smart, but it will take time for them to settle with Rodgers. But what baffles me is that if I were FSG I would want a streetwise CEO and experienced CEO to allow Rodgers to do what he is clearly good at – coaching.

Summer transfer chatter is the stuff of summer, and none of us would want it any other way- when hope is untarnished by performance. Till the first of September Rodgers should be cut slack in any transfer assessment. Even then, if he is smart he will do the minimum so that if things improve he can take the credit, and if they don’t he can blame KK’s legacy and that he wanted to give the players a chance to show what they could do.

Guest ShoePiss

I've read a lot about Joe Allen joining after the Olympics, do people believe he's a first 11 signing or a squad player with potential to be a first team player?

I didn't notice him for Swansea but I've watched the GB games...

I think blaming Rogers and FSG for the current transfer mailaise is very unfair, Joe Cole is costing us £5m a year, if we were to add in Maxi and Aquilani you would be adding almost £10m, that is between £10-15m, a year on three players who would not be first team players! They needed to be shifted, and if Comoli had of done his job last year rather than stick a plaster over the problem, we wouldn't be needing to focus upon wage reducation again this year!

Caroll is a £20m pound assett who won't play, which is why he is being focussed upon, and whilst Spearing, Adam and Downing should follow their wages are not as much, and they are not worth as much. We have mid table players on top wages, with little prospect of shifting them.

I still think two or three signings will arrive, and hopefully a couple of loan signings also. I really do think that people need to realise that we need to see a shift in the way we behave in the transfer market, we need to better at getting top fees, and better at negotiating with other clubs, the fact that Newcastle managed to get a sell on clause inserted in the Andy Caroll deal is quite telling, that culture needs to be ended. Caroll goes for £18-20m, or he doesn't go.

We should never have bought Jordan Henderson last season, as good as I think he could be, he was never able to play on the right, and if you bought him for the centre then Adam should never have been bought. The whole of last seasons transfer window was a monumental fuck up, and I would hope that FSG stop and think. We have been throwing money at the club for years, when was the last bargain we picked up? Who was the last youth signing to come through?

Brilliant post,common sense we are paying for years of fuck ups

Break, if I was to put money on it. The one thing he had going for him last year was his age in that it was always thrown out whenever he was criticised. He showed nothing that Danny Guthrie wouldn't have if we'd kept him, not that he was good enough either.

'Henderson's going to be great,' is one of most bizarre lines that gets spun out here too often. Why is he going to be great? Because all players who have a poor first season suddenly improve? Because all average young players automatically graduate to a decent standard at the age of 22 or 23?

Nothing against him personally, but I can only imagine the overjoyed disbelief of the Sunderland beancounters when we met their initial quote last summer.

And maybe a sports psychologist can convince Gerrard that we're playing Everton every week.

Cathartic Saturday evening rant over.

Are you mental? Guthrie couldn't do half the the BAD passes that Henderson managed.

He's, likely, to be great because he's one of the most technically gifted players we have on the squad, he's a real athlete, and he's a non-bellend.

He lacks CONFIDENCE AND SWAGGER. It has nothing to do with his footballing... and all about the mental side.

If Lucas/Gerrard/Suarez/etc rub off on him, then he'll be a superb footballer. That's all it'll take.

I've read a lot about Joe Allen joining after the Olympics, do people believe he's a first 11 signing or a squad player with potential to be a first team player?

I didn't notice him for Swansea but I've watched the GB games...

When you've barely got a pot to piss in and you're looking at spending 15m on someone it simply has to be first xI business.

I just don't see the sense in the transfer at all. I see nothing in him that I don't in Henderson. Keep in mind that I rate Henderson.

It just seems like a silly use of funds to me, when we're so lacking in quite a few other positions.

Guest ShoePiss
When you've barely got a pot to piss in and you're looking at spending 15m on someone it simply has to be first xI business.

I just don't see the sense in the transfer at all. I see nothing in him that I don't in Henderson. Keep in mind that I rate Henderson.

It just seems like a silly use of funds to me, when we're so lacking in quite a few other positions.

That thought has crossed my mind too.