You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I haven't seen anything from his career to date to justify any optimism.

Football is littered with managers who've had purple patches similar or even better than Rodgers, to fall by the wayside.

Mike Walker at Norwich.

George Burley at Ipswich.

Frank Clark at Forest got them promoted and finished third the following season.

Phil Brown at Hull.

Alan Curbishley at Charlton.

Paul Jewell at Wigan.

Owen Coyle at Burnley then Bolton.

Hodgson at Fulham.

What is the difference between what any of them have done and what Rodgers has done?

Would anyone have wanted them as Liverpool manager?

For some people just being appointed manager is enough. But what if like me you have no faith whatsoever in the people doing the appointing?

You have a point about all them managers, if you completely ignore context. Also, you probably should've ended the post at the word 'date' in your first sentence.

Sorry if I'm coming across as arsey but it just seems a bit narrow minded, Rodgers is a different beast altogether than the likes of Hodgson and Coyle.

Ultimately the only thing a manager can be judged on is what happens on the pitch, and we haven't kicked a ball under him yet.

Hopefully all bollocks, in the mirror and Agger suggested not long ago he was happy here but you never know.

Manchester City have rocked Liverpool with a £13million bid for defender Daniel Agger.

Liverpool now face a major fight to keep Agger, 27, with Real Madrid and Barcelona also interested.

The Premier League champions lodged their bid with Liverpool last week and had it rejected.

But Agger has already told Anfield chief Brendan Rodgers that he wants out.

The Danish centre-back is expected to confirm within the next two weeks whether he will opt for the Emirates or Spain but City are ready to up their bid to keep him in the Premier League.

The player still set to be sacrificed by City to accommodate the Agger is Kolo Toure.

The Ivory Coast star has a year left on his contract and, after being frozen out by Mancini last season, has been a target for Turkish club Bursaspor and Saudi Arabian club Al Hilal - but Barcelona are also now keen on the former Arsenal man.

But City have not yet found a taker willing to pay a transfer fee on top of his £120,000-a-week wages, even though the Ivory Cost defender is willing to take a pay cut.

To complicate matters, Vincent Kompany's injury yesterday - the Blues skipper flew home from their Malaysia tour - means the champions are now loathe to allow Toure to leave as his departure would rob them of experienced cover.

If City DO sign Agger, they then face paying Toure around £6million over the next 12 months in wages if he is not sold or included in their 25-man squad for the Premier League and the Champions League.

Man City shock Liverpool with £13m bid for Daniel Agger as Real Madrid and Barcelona wait in the wings - Mirror Online

Really hope this isn't true. He's our best defender when fit, and it would be a huge loss if he leaves us. If does leave I hope he doesn't go on the cheap. I guess Citeh would pay us more money than barca. If he decides to go to barca you will see them starting their fucking mindgames to press the price down. They know the players finally will force a move to them so they just wait until the selling club doesn't have another choice than to lower their price. Cunts...

This is from a Danish paper

Har Barcelona købt Agger?

A Spanish media writes that Daniel Agger is presented in Barcelona this week, while an English media think that Manchester City have offered him.

The confusion about the Danish national team argues Daniel Agger's football future is now complete, but everything indicates that something huge happens soon. Daniel Agger within a few weeks will be the most expensive, Danish footballer ever.

For 14 days ago learned Jyllands-Posten that both FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City were interested in buying Daniel Agger clear of Liverpool.

Now, writes the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo that FC Barcelona according to British media has bought Daniel Agger. That he already this week will be featured as the new Barcelona player, and that the price would be 143 million. kr addition to five clauses that will increase the price. This kind is typically triggered for the number of matches played, won titles, etc.

Have given up rival

What makes the story even more likely is that FC Barcelona is alleged to have given up trying to buy Javi Martinez free of Athetic Bilbao. A price tag of nearly 300 million. DKK have frightened Barcelona. In addition, Martinez, according to the newspaper Marca have a gross annual salary of 45 million. million, if he does not net to earn less than he does in Bilbao because of the different tax rules between Catalonia and the Basque Country.

Besides the stories of Daniel Agger and FC Barcelona newspaper The Mirror that Manchester City has offered 124 million. DKK for Daniel Agger, making him the most expensive, Danish footballer ever.

Liverpool was, however, have rejected the bid last week, but Agger has according to The Mirror already told Liverpool's new manager Brendan Rogers that he will proceed to a new club.

I haven't seen anything from his career to date to justify any optimism.

Football is littered with managers who've had purple patches similar or even better than Rodgers, to fall by the wayside.

Mike Walker at Norwich.

George Burley at Ipswich.

Frank Clark at Forest got them promoted and finished third the following season.

Phil Brown at Hull.

Alan Curbishley at Charlton.

Paul Jewell at Wigan.

Owen Coyle at Burnley then Bolton.

Hodgson at Fulham.

What is the difference between what any of them have done and what Rodgers has done?

Would anyone have wanted them as Liverpool manager?

For some people just being appointed manager is enough. But what if like me you have no faith whatsoever in the people doing the appointing?

'Purple Patches' have always been the yardstick by which you judge managers though. Would Ferguson have got the United job without his purple patch at Aberdeen? Would Rafa have got our job without his purple patch at Valencia?

That list of names is fucking nonsense, it's completely out of context and you know it.

Mike Walker, George Burley, Frank Clark, we're going back 20 years almost in some cases, the game was a lot simpler back then and you could quite conceivably build a good team for fuck all. The other aspect of it is style, those Norwich, Forest and Ipswich teams didn't play with any style, they just picked up a lot more wins than people expected, they were resilient.

Alan Curbishley, Paul Jewell, Phil Brown, Roy Hodgson, they got their accolades because their sides didn't go down. Charlton played some nice stuff at times under Curbishley, but again it was just resilience that underpinned all the efforts of those sides, hard work and some good wins. Put that together with the media increase in the game and, BOOM, you've got a manager with plaudits and aspirations of being the new England manager. They didn't do anything, it's just your soft recollection of those times through the lens of the media, that's what makes you think they achieved anything of note.

This is particularly true of Coyle at Bolton. Lauded to fuck because he was a young Scottish manager and his Bolton team put together a good run of results, ergo, he's the new Ferguson. Just at the time that there was rife speculation about who the next United manager could be, his stock rose along with Moyes' because they were Scottish and seen to be doing a great job.

But what irritates me about your comments is that you have no idea as to what makes a good manager, and how to tell a good manager from a bad one.

The basic answer is there really is very little difference between most managers in terms of knowledge and being a bossy auld cunt. They've all got their coaching badges.

The basic difference is money and luck. Some coaches got the chance to spend a fortune, and some didn't. Some of them got in the right players, and some didnt. Some of them had an amazing crop of youngsters come through at the right time, and some didnt. Some of them had born leaders in their team, and some didnt. Some of them got time to get their feet under the table, and some didnt.

I'm not sure what sort of pedestal you've placed Pellegrini on, but the stark fucking reality my friend is that we would still have Adam, Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Aquilani Cole and Eccelstone floating around our squad. Unless Pellegrini came in and pulled £150m from out of his arse, then I'm not at all certain why you're confident he would have been the better fit.

It's a hard truth to swallow, but Kenny brought this club to its knees in terms of being competetive, his purchases were ...*shakes head*....I can't find the right words to do justice to the damage he has done with that spending spree. Kenny the man is a wonderful man and inspiration for reds everywhere. Kenny the manager, mkII, was a complete disaster for this club.

But, thanks to the wonder of the media, he could probably get a job at most PL clubs tomorrow if he made himself available. That's the irony of it all.

Back to Rodgers and the job at hand:

We're not a competetive team. We don't have the tools to mount a challenge for the serious silverware. We don't have pace, and that's a critical problem. We also have played without an idea for too long. How many times have we seen our team get to the final third of the pitch and just stall? Sure, we eventually might get a break and then miss the goal, but the problem is a lack of incisive movement and intelligence in the final third. Is Rodgers the man to remedy that? I don't know for sure, none of us do, but I think he's got as much of a chance of solving it as Pellegrini or Capello or any of these rent-a-luckycunts have. And, unlike them, I think he's got the desire to do it and make this club successful again, whereas I'm not sure Pellegrini would lose any sleep if we won the title, let alone got us relegated.

No, Rodgers' season with Swansea in the PL tells us nothing useful in terms of what he will do here. I get that, I do. But I do not see the point in turning into a set of rabid cunts when we've not even played a competetive game and he's not even had his full squad together for one training session yet.

Our problem is personnel, managers have bought the wrong players, they have collected a set of players that have so shite and it's quite remarkable that we're in this position even. Kenny spent £55m on Downing and Carroll, that's the big problem here, that £55m of money for attacking aquisitions was spent on two such average players. Chelsea paid £30m for Hazard, that would still have left us £25m for Dempsey AND Borini, AND we'd still have £10m left.

To blame the owners for this is fucking out of order. Fuck me, I think John Henry himself, using Championship Manager, could have picked us up two better attackers for £55m than Kenny did.

And the less said about the £28m spent on Henderson and Adam the better.

Sorry Dicko, but Rodgers deserves time and patience and even with the best will in the World not all of his signings will be the right ones. Even Mourinho fucked up in the transfer market on numerous occassions, as does Ferguson and Ancelotti and Mancini, and probably even your precious Pellegrini.

did someone say agger playing on thu would cup tie him for the CL???? play him, skrtel and suarez then right away. put them rumours to bed and concentrate on building our squad rather than depleting it.

if we lose agger or skrtel we aren't replacing them with anyone as good and go into next season weaker !

'Purple Patches' have always been the yardstick by which you judge managers though. Would Ferguson have got the United job without his purple patch at Aberdeen? Would Rafa have got our job without his purple patch at Valencia?

Sorry, did I just read this correctly? Didn't bother to read the rest of your post as this pretty much tells me you know zero.

Ferguson's "purple patch" at Aberdeen lasted eight years. It included toppling the Old Firm and beating Real Madrid in a European final.

Rafa's "purple patch" was three seasons at Valencia, toppling Barcelona and Real Madrid, twice, and winning the UEFA Cup (when it was a bit better than now).

Rodgers most definitely fits into the category of managers you've just dismissed. A year earlier and we'd have been appointing Coyle, another forward thinking manager feted for changing Bolton's style of play.

Sorry, did I just read this correctly? Didn't bother to read the rest of your post as this pretty much tells me you know zero.

Ferguson's "purple patch" at Aberdeen lasted eight years. It included toppling the Old Firm and beating Real Madrid in a European final.

Rafa's "purple patch" was three seasons at Valencia, toppling Barcelona and Real Madrid, twice, and winning the UEFA Cup (when it was a bit better than now).

Rodgers most definitely fits into the category of managers you've just dismissed. A year earlier and we'd have been appointing Coyle, another forward thinking manager feted for changing Bolton's style of play.

You want to play semantics fuck face?

What about Wenger at Monaco and Grampus Eight? Or Mancini with a warchest full of Moratti money? Or David Moyes at Preston doing fuck all? Or Harry Redknapp getting Portsmouth relegated? Or what would you have appointed Rafa after his numerous sackings in the Spanish lower-leagues before he went to Valencia, or appointed Mourinho after his unspectacular start at Benfica and Lieira? Or what about Eriksson, he won everything, he must be fucking class?

And, check your facts, Ferguson didnt start winning from day 1 at Aberdeen, and he also took on a club that were in 2nd place in the league and well positioned to challenge. They finished 4th in the league. He won the league the next season and then didn't win the league again until 1984. They won the Cup Winners Cup, not the European Cup.

out of the two of skrtel and agger i would rather we keep agger raging if he goe,s

We loose one we also loose the other..... They are both wanted by others with ambitions, if we show a lack of the same, which is what we do if we sell any one of them, it is a clear signal for the other to get the fuck out of dodge....

To be honest - if we do loose them both I think we might just loose Suarez as well - and to be honest we'd (as a club) deserve it too!

It's shit like this regarding agger, skrtel an Suarez that really fucks me off. Not that I've heard anything recent from agger but obviously there have been comments attributed to skrtel an rumours regarding Suarez.

Skrtel was outstanding last season but that's what it was 1 top season. Season before it was probably questionable as to whether he was first choice. He should focus on repeating his form over a reasonable period of time now.

Agger spent most of his career fuckin injured great player but again let's him see him playing regularly an build on a partnership with skrtel.

Suarez - great player - but for me if he wants to be considered in the top bracket of world footballers as a forward he needs to score more goals.

Whether they have done anything I don't know but them or there fuckin Dickhead agents should concentrate on taking their game to the next level of consistency over a period of time before they even make out they are too good to be playing for Liverpool.

For me it's everything thats wrong with the game, we know they're mercenarys but stuff like this just highlights how detached these footballers are from the people that pay to watch them.

When gerrard was our best player for years, at the top of his game an being recognised worldwide as one of the best in the business could see why at that time he got his head turned when he was surrounded by lesser players.

But for varying reasons - for me - these lads need to shut their an their agents fuckin mouths an focus on moving This club back to where it belongs.

I don't want Agger to go but if he wants out I would imagine he is on his way.

If Barcelona want him a d it's true we are interested in Deulofeu and Tello I wonder if they will be thrown into a deal.

The biggest myth in pro football is that you have to sell a player if he wants to go.......

They have a contract - which makes them professionals..... We should never sell Agger unless we are paid ridiculous amounts for him.... (30+)

Who in their right mind will come to a football club that sells all it's best players every damn year..... The new owners will drag us down with them in their cluelessness and focus on shedding costs.....

If ever we have a footballer to fit the BR type of football it's Agger! Fuckin' hell what's to stop Reina, Skrtel and Suarez from saying fuck it I am not happy playing for a mid-table side....

We have a few players not fit to wear our jersey - how about starting to ship those players first BR - Downing, Adam, Spearing, Wilson and Cole will never be good enough to play in a top European side - sell and re-invest (If the owners let you)

Who in their right mind will come to a football club that sells all it's best players every damn year..... The new owners will drag us down with them in their cluelessness and focus on shedding costs.....

If ever we have a footballer to fit the BR type of football it's Agger! Fuckin' hell what's to stop Reina, Skrtel and Suarez from saying fuck it I am not happy playing for a mid-table side....

We have a few players not fit to wear our jersey - how about starting to ship those players first BR - Downing, Adam, Spearing, Wilson and Cole will never be good enough to play in a top European side - sell and re-invest (If the owners let you)

Right just so I can get this straight.

Daniel Agger decides that he wants to leave and if he does go it will be down to the owners selling him to cut costs!

Don't suppose the fact that Barca and City have come calling and turned Agger's head would come into it at all? Nope, just blame the owners for absolutely everything, even the stuff they can't control.

Daniel Agger decides that he wants to leave and if he does go it will be down to the owners selling him to cut costs!

Don't suppose the fact that Barca and City have come calling and turned Agger's head would come into it at all? Nope, just blame the owners for absolutely everything, even the stuff they can't control.

Unless, of course, you think the owners manufactured a situation which no top player in the country would accept and this is so obviously a consequence of that.

We loose one we also loose the other..... They are both wanted by others with ambitions, if we show a lack of the same, which is what we do if we sell any one of them, it is a clear signal for the other to get the fuck out of dodge....

To be honest - if we do loose them both I think we might just loose Suarez as well - and to be honest we'd (as a club) deserve it too!

LOSE, It's fucking LOSE

It's a pointless argument. Folk are so intent on putting the boot into the owners or the new manager, they seemingly will twist anything to suit their view.

We can only sit tight and see how the transfer window and season eventually transpire. If everything turns to custard, they can then have their little 'I told you so' moment in the sun. Good for them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Unless, of course, you think the owners manufactured a situation which no top player in the country would accept and this is so obviously a consequence of that.

What have they manufactured, exactly?