You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I can remember mine was red with a yellow handle. There was a cartoon on it but cant for the life of me remember who or what it was. Could have been the Mr Men.

Everyone opening their boxes at the same time and those dining rooms used to honk.

The only thing I remember about them is a. how poor the school dinners where (that Chicken pie that used to stink of piss)! and b. how lazy my parents where, I said I like peanut butter so I had peanut fucking butter each and every day, until I was sick of peanut butter and then I was called fussy and told to think of starving Ethiopians (who were all the rage as examples back then).

The only thing I remember about them is a. how poor the school dinners where (that Chicken pie that used to stink of piss)! and b. how lazy my parents where, I said I like peanut butter so I had peanut fucking butter each and every day, until I was sick of peanut butter and then I was called fussy and told to think of starving Ethiopians (who were all the rage as examples back then).

I started making my own when i was about 8, was sick of ham butties. Spam was even worse.

Salad cream butties were my speciality. A Breakaway and a carton of juice for afters.

I'm allergic to peanuts so was spared that ordeal from an early age.

Don't get me started on school dinners though. Grim. Definitely wasn't chicken in those pies.

Has anyone actually seen Borini play a match other than on youtube, I haven't so know fuck all about him. Will reserve judgement on him till I see him play a bit, before saying he is what we need and wanking over him or he is shit.

seen him play a couple of times for Swansea and Roma each, was good for Swansea but thats at a lower level and can't really say he stood out in the Roma games I saw but I wasn't particularly watching for him either

the more and more I think about letting Carroll go (loan or permanent) the worse idea it seems, really hope we keep him

I started making my own when i was about 8, was sick of ham butties. Spam was even worse.

Salad cream butties were my speciality. A Breakaway and a carton of juice for afters.

Don't get me started on school dinners though. Grim. Definitely wasn't chicken in those pies.

It wasn't Chicken (although everything else meat related tasted of Chicken), and the Rice Pudding, Samolina (however it is spelt!), fucking Rhubarb pie, and those boiled tinned potatoes! Jesus it was grim.

To this day I despise all those foods, Rice pudding is just Jizz and milk.

I can't judge on borini as i haven't seen him live. But ive seen enough of allen and dempsey. Dempsey can get to fuck as he's not good enough. But anyone thinking allen wouldn't severely improve our midfield obviously hasn't watched him a lot. The guy is a quality player and easily better than adam, henderson, spearing and shelvey. He's still very young so is improving but he's got a lot to his game and I said since the beginning that i'd rather him than gylfi.

Fish paste butties are where it was at.

Would you honestly say Borini and Allen are average?

Maybe unfair on Borini as I've seen next to nothing but his record doesn't look anything more than that of an average player.

My point was that it's a waste of time buying players who are not significantly better than what we have. Would you say either player would noticeably improve us?

The Carroll loan idea is ludicrous,it's time we stopped paying our players to play for someone else.

Keep him or sell him,no loans.

A loan frees up wages which the manager can use to pay players he actually sees fit in his team. Obviously a sale would be better, but that's hard if noone wants to pay decent money.

Quite easily. If went to the States and purchased a baseball or basketball club, my ethos would be similar. I'd want the value of young and upcoming players, with a hungry manager. I'd also want somebody to help me out. Somebody who really knew the game.

You're talking about an MD. It's not really relevant to talking about the merits of Allen, who you've barely mentioned.

Who's Borini. Never 'eard of 'im.

Ah, you're intent on being a shithouse again, aren't you? Who are this 'us'? Why do you pretend to talk for everybody else? Do you believe it gives you gravitas?

Hurry up an' call me stupid, threaten to beat me up and we can get back to the subject at hand.

This ^

What butty box did you have?

I love how so many people seem able to comment on Allen and Borini's ability. They must have been watching these players for years.

I'm flat out basing my enthusiasm on two things:

1) What I've seen Allen do the previous season

2) Rodgers wants Borini, has worked with him before, and he's a young player. Anything can happen there... and if we're not paying an assload for him, then why not be enthusiastic?

Sterling won't be a starter he might be gradually eased in but i dont expect him to play in more than 8 games in total. We will need a winger it just annoys me that we have needed one for about 15 years.

Borini would be good, Dempsey average and Allen would surely only work if we let go of Aquilani and another. were overstaffed in the middle with gerrard, Adam, Lucas, shelvey, Henderson and spearing. Only one of them is a dm so can't see how Allen fits in.

I'm flat out basing my enthusiasm on two things:

1) What I've seen Allen do the previous season

2) Rodgers wants Borini, has worked with him before, and he's a young player. Anything can happen there... and if we're not paying an assload for him, then why not be enthusiastic?

You had me at "I'm flat".

A loan frees up wages which the manager can use to pay players he actually sees fit in his team. Obviously a sale would be better, but that's hard if noone wants to pay decent money.

If we must get rid and cannot sell loan him to someone good ish - Stoke etc - at least the wages will be off the bill and he'd be taking points off our rivals

I'd have thought the same but given he tried to take sterling on loan maybe he sees him as the player to play there?

Even if he does I still wouldn't be happy having a 17 year old left winger as our only right winger.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Maybe unfair on Borini as I've seen next to nothing but his record doesn't look anything more than that of an average player.

My point was that it's a waste of time buying players who are not significantly better than what we have. Would you say either player would noticeably improve us?

Yes, massively. One of the Chelsea forums were going mad when they let him go, and even more mad now us 'bin dippers' are getting him. Two are three are 'looking forward to buying him for 50m in a couple of years'.

Allen is going to be incredible. What we're doing is what clubs like Borussia Dortmund have done. Young, talented players with a big future. I can't wait to see them play for us.

I think Borini will link up superbly well with Suarez - who will finally have somebody on his own wavelength - and Allen will add drive from midfield. I still think we'll need another couple of players and, no injuries, and some luck, but it's looking good.

Yes, massively. One of the Chelsea forums were going mad when they let him go, and even more mad now us 'bin dippers' are getting him. Two are three are 'looking forward to buying him for 50m in a couple of years'.

Allen is going to be incredible. What we're doing is what clubs like Borussia Dortmund have done. Young, talented players with a big future. I can't wait to see them play for us.

I think Borini will link up superbly well with Suarez - who will finally have somebody on his own wavelength - and Allen will add drive from midfield. I still think we'll need another couple of players and, no injuries, and some luck, but it's looking good.

God I hate Chelsea fans. Borini strikes me as very Inzaghi like and if he can be even close to that kind of player then we've found a real gem. His movement is what stands out first of all and then his finishing ability which will surely only improve over the years. He works hard and he actually has a bit of pace about him as well as a good touch and enough skill to evade his man to get a shot away. I really like what I've seen of him and if the 8m rising to 11m is right then I'd pay that without a second thought.

I completely agree with what you're saying regards to the "Dortmund way" and again I agree that Allen would be a fantastic signing for the right price.

I hear we're linked with Ki and Kuba as well. What do you think of them ?