You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I'm sure he would, but at what cost to the rest of the attackers who need to concentrate on supplying him with specific balls?

He's too easy to work out, teams will work us out as soon as he's on the team sheet, and some defenders will win that individual battle, not all, but some.

We've got be more cleverer than that, we've got to make the opposition believe that any one of our three or four attackers can score goals from a variety of situations.

That's how City won the league, any one of Dzeko, Aguero, Tevez, Silva, Balotelli and Toure could be a matchwinner.

As the season progressed Dzeko became less and less useful, he was another Carroll, he was too specialized, just a number 9. In the end he did turn the final game though, but they can afford to keep a player like him as a backup, they don't miss the cash he could have generated, we will.

You could try to argue that Llorente did alright for a Bilbao side playing tiki taka stuff, but I think it's a stretch to say Carroll is as good as Llorente. Besides, Bilbao ultimately fell short when it mattered, it's not the best template.

Not really, actually. Carroll is more than an aerial threat. He has an absolute piledriver of a left foot. If we get him supply on the ground, then he'll score goals, as well.

The main worry is his ability to find pockets of space in(and around) the box to unleash the shot. He's still young though, and he'll be learning that side of the game as he gains experience.

Right now, he has all the physical attributes to be a really great striker. It's about allowing the mental side catch up. Playing in the Europa League, and getting more premier league matches will help...

Guys like Steven Gerrard, and Luis Suarez will definitely be teaching him, as well.

I had a few small pockets of worry last season, when he was playing so poorly, but all in all... I have a lot of Faith in Andy Carroll.

The thing that people seem to overlook is that having someone so physically gifted, and can bully defences on set pieces is 'gamebreaking' as well. Tricky/pacey players aren't the only ones that can steal games... Look at his goal for England. They weren't playing particularly well, and bam!, Carroll scores.

I'm talking Loic Remy, Kevin Mirallas, Dries Mertens, wonderful scorers and creaters of goals.

Gone are the days of wingers and strikers having separate roles, the only way to win things is to have players in forward positions who can do both.

I don't really think so... I think we need another striker with different attributes, but Andy can definitely be part of a title winning squad.

I don't really think so... I think we need another striker with different attributes, but Andy can definitely be part of a title winning squad.

He wasn't crap when he wasn't scoring...

He's not world beater now that he is...

Can he be part of a title winning team? yes - but I think you'd need a fair few other players of a higher calibre than him to win it.

Good luck to the guy I say - but it's as mad to hype him up as it was to knock him for crap (which he clearly isn't)

I know he's got a cannon of a left foot.

I can probably think of five occasions, in 18 months, where he's been quick or clever enough to make use of it.

There's little point in using the Sweden game as an example in his favour though, unless you want us to play like England play! Stunning headed goals from 15 yards arent indicative of anything meaningful though, you can't factor that in to a plan to use a forward like Carroll, he'd be lucky to get a goal like that a season. It's like buying Yeboah for his 30 yard screamers, sure he got a couple, but ultimately that isn't a healthy basis to judge a striker.

I like Carroll, I just don't think he's going to help build a style of play that will get us anywhere. It's unsustainable, who do we get as back up? kwnwyne Jones?

Carroll's never going to be good enough when people keep shifting the goalposts.

Unfortunately, changing managers does that to a team, hence the clamour for a DoF.

Whatever Kenny had planned is now out of the window, I would suspect.

Carroll will never be good enough to oust Gomez from Bayern, or Cavani from Napoli, or Ibrahimovic from Milan, or Benzema from Madrid, or Llorente from Bilbao, or Gomis from Lyon, other than that he's one of the best 'big number 9s' around...

Unfortunately, changing managers does that to a team, hence the clamour for a DoF.

Carroll will never be good enough to oust Gomez from Bayern, or Cavani from Napoli, or Ibrahimovic from Milan, or Benzema from Madrid, or Llorente from Bilbao, or Gomis from Lyon, other than that he's one of the best 'big number 9s' around...

I don't suppose it really matters if he could oust someone in another team, as long a striker's banging them in for his current team, that'll do nicely!

I do agree he's not in the same league as most of the above though. If he could only perform as well as he did at Newcastle on a consistent basis, that'd be a decent season or two until Liverpool step up a notch and get back in the market for the very top tier players again. Good for Liverpool, good for Carroll I'd say.

To compare Carroll to Benzema is all sorts of wrong.

Given how he has improved in recent months and taking into consideration his age then surely it would be better not to jump to conclusions at this point.

He's not going to get 'better' at running though!

This isnt an open discussion on the failings or shortcomings of Carroll, it's about how a tiki taka system could ever include a player 'like him'.

If it can't, and I don't think it can, then surely the sensible and proper thing is to sell while his stock is high and allow Rodgers the cash to build the side he wants, and not just make do with spare parts from another regime.

This isnt an open discussion on the failings or shortcomings of Carroll, it's about how a tiki taka system could ever include a player 'like him'.

If it can't, and I don't think it can, then surely the sensible and proper thing is to sell while his stock is high and allow Rodgers the cash to build the side he wants, and not just make do with spare parts from another regime.

Your philosophy and your principles will always be governed by the players.
- Brendan Rodgers.

If it can't, and I don't think it can

As i suggested, surely it's better not to draw these types of conclusions at this point.

The type of striker we need is somebody with boss movement in the box who'll score you 20+ tap ins a season like Javier Hernandez. It's that simple and it was so obvious watching us last season.

In one

We need a horseface esque poacher who can feed off andy and luis

Err... Big number 9s? Gomis? The 6fter? What?

I think he's pretty tidy on the ball actually - pace and movement seems to be the issue -

For me integrating him into the style would help because I do think he has almost unique qualities. We need to do something to challenge City, Chelsea and Man U and it's not going to be through acquiring better players than them going forward as we don't have the resources.

Shipping Carroll out and bringing a second tier poacher in won't improve our effectiveness in my opinion.

I hear a lot of people saying Carroll can't play tiki-taka (i'm starting to hate that phrase), but Swansea didn't play it like Barca or Arsenal, they were closer to Arsenal of about five or six years ago if anything.

They kept possession in their own half, passed their way out of defence and towards the final third, but if they got the chance to let a winger run with it (as Sinclair and Dyer showed) and whip in a cross they took it. There was still a very distinct CF position as a target.