You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Guest Numero Veinticinco
But we won't get him on a small fee, or reasonable wages, or reasonable contract length relative to his age.

I'm not saying we will, mate. Just laying out what would be acceptable in my eyes. I actually did the same for Downing. As a 7/8 million pound player, coming in with a player of much higher quality, I would have been OK about Downing.

I think all attacking signings we make should be young(ish) players with pace.

Agreed. and some intelligence wouldn't go a miss.

I'm not saying we will, mate. Just laying out what would be acceptable in my eyes. I actually did the same for Downing. As a 7/8 million pound player, coming in with a player of much higher quality, I would have been OK about Downing.

Fair enough. In my opinion Downing simply isn't good enough to play for Liverpool. Regardless of price or anything else. Obviously had we paid £7m rather than £20m its wouldn't have been as shit a signing, but it wouldn't change the fact he doesn't do anything of note on a football pitch.

I understand that if he was back up to a much better player the squad would look a lot stronger, but I think ultimately you'd still prefer your back up players to be younger with room to improve.

In the summer I'd rather we shipped Downing out, signed a quality winger, and maybe took a cheap punt on a youngster as his back up, than keeping Downing as back up to whoever we sign. We've spent the last few years clogging up the squad with players in their late 20s/early 30s, on fairly big wages. It was the one thing Comolli did really well last summer, clearing most of them. In Adam and Downing, we arguably added two to that list. We have to accept we've made mistakes and move on as quickly as possible.

I think we've got a reasonable team when everyone is fit, its a shame injuries have prevented us from seeing it at full strength this season. However, the depth and balance to the squad is still poor, but I have faith we'll go some way to rectifying that this summer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Fair enough. In my opinion Downing simply isn't good enough to play for Liverpool. Regardless of price or anything else. Obviously had we paid £7m rather than £20m its wouldn't have been as shit a signing, but it wouldn't change the fact he doesn't do anything of note on a football pitch.

I understand that if he was back up to a much better player the squad would look a lot stronger, but I think ultimately you'd still prefer your back up players to be younger with room to improve.

In the summer I'd rather we shipped Downing out, signed a quality winger, and maybe took a cheap punt on a youngster as his back up, than keeping Downing as back up to whoever we sign. We've spent the last few years clogging up the squad with players in their late 20s/early 30s, on fairly big wages. It was the one thing Comolli did really well last summer, clearing most of them. In Adam and Downing, we arguably added two to that list. We have to accept we've made mistakes and move on as quickly as possible.

I think we've got a reasonable team when everyone is fit, its a shame injuries have prevented us from seeing it at full strength this season. However, the depth and balance to the squad is still poor, but I have faith we'll go some way to rectifying that this summer.

Agreed. We really do need to sort it out, though. Early in the window, too. Want everything done and dusted just as soon as we can.

We've spent the last few years clogging up the squad with players in their late 20s/early 30s, on fairly big wages.

Good point here, the musical chairs with the back ups is madness. We see players like Shelvey, Spearing or Flanagan and Robinson come in and put in a shift that makes the likes of Poulsen and Cole and players all the way from Kromkamp through Konchesky look ridiculous. Sterling would offer more in that role next year than anybody we could buy. We really need to start to grow some funk of our own.

Agree with this.

If we had the players needed in the first team and had the likes of Adam and Dempsey on the bench we would be doing ok.

Only players from Fulham I would like are the Russian forward Pob... and Dembele

I like Dembele. I see him as an attacking midfielder/forward, but I wonder if he could play in CM alongside Lucas. He would add some skill and speed into the middle of the park, but I've never watched him for his defensive skills, so am not sure.

I like Dembele. I see him as an attacking midfielder/forward, but I wonder if he could play in CM alongside Lucas. He would add some skill and speed into the middle of the park, but I've never watched him for his defensive skills, so am not sure.

Doesn't really seem to have an obvious best position. That's the problem. He looks like a classy player though. Maybe as second striker, he could do well with better players around him. Doesn't score enough goals though and that's a problem when you start talikng about havig him here.

Getting a striker is obvious to all , its our midfield that sickens me the most , its fucking woeful and we wont be getting CL football until its sorted , it hurts when you think of some of the midfielders weve had in the past and then look at the state of it now.

If Downing, Henderson , Adam and Spearing are getting regular games for us next season were fucked , we need to bite the bullet and ditch the lot of them and spend whatever we get on some quality , it wont happen but it needs to.

We also need to give Sterling a proper go next season , screw all this waiting around , throw him in because we desperatly need pace and he has loads of it aswell as alot more other skills by the looks of it , it would be impossible for him to be worse than Downing ...... the Fulham players were double/tripling up on him the other night and he still pulled off a few very good things in his limited time on the pitch.

*sigh* wow people are seriously wanting clint dempsey? Have our standards really dropped that low? Yes he's decent but what we are needing is more than that. We need game changers. Players that can make something out of nothing and score goals. If the team is playing shit dempsey isn't going to change that. We need a creative midfielder next to lucas, and two goalscoring attacking midfielders who will give support to suarez and gerrard up front. .

We needed this last summer as well. Not to mention in January. Why would Kenny have a different perception now? It was there for everyone to see 12 months ago, and he opted for a winger that has one good attribute as long as the timing of the movement around him is spot on -Downing. The holes in our squad are severe and we need probably three transferwindows to sort this out if we are realistic in terms of successrat. Not to mention a new formation, Carra needs to be in the stands -at best, players need to be played in their favoured position, and Kenny needs to learn that a NONE of our central midfielders are not suited to figure in a two man central mid, but a threeman setup. His ability to change games from the side and to have an impact on games are nonexistent, and he dowsnt seem to get the best out of this mediocre squad. We need a new manager, 4-6 top class players with pace, ballcontrol, vision, creativity and skills. This squad is appauling, especially considering the amount of money spent.

He looks quite slow and not very powerful.

Not too sure myself. Doesn't impress me much.

Belhanda is brilliant. not slow at all, even though is not the quickest. He thinks fast and is a genuinely talented player. Have seen him 6-7 tmes. Have seen Ramirez once, and he was pretty much invisible in that game.

?

Belhanda is brilliant. not slow at all, even though is not the quickest. He thinks fast and is a genuinely talented player. Have seen him 6-7 tmes. Have seen Ramirez once, and he was pretty much invisible in that game.

I haven't seen him much at all, so you're in a better place to judge and i'll take your word for it mate. How much do you think he would cost us? And how do you envisage him playing here?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
?

I haven't seen him much at all, so you're in a better place to judge and i'll take your word for it mate. How much do you think he would cost us? And how do you envisage him playing here?

Definitely. Not slow. Not Walcott, but Suarez.

The new Tim Vincken then. Quicker than most slow players.

Young can be devastating on his day but also be equally poor and predictable, whilst Walcott is just a pile of shite, If I wanted a sprinter on my team I'd have Usain Bolt, Downing in the past has been more of a traditional wide man, fairly fast and has a bit of skill and has shown the ability to get a reasonable amount of goals a season, he'll never be top class but he has far more in his locker than the coward figure we've had stood on the left wing this season, he'd be one of the first I'd bin off in the summer but I think he could've been so much better

He's going to the Mancs