You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

He is good enough for us. He'd do a great job in fact. I've suggested Diame for the best part of 2 seasons for us.

Him, Scott Sinclair, and Jermain Defoe would be my top 3 transfer targets, going by the suggested budget I'm hearing we'll have this summer.

Thank fuck you're not the manager then.

Linked woth dzeko on the bbc gossip. Surely he would be on massive wages and im not sure if he is the right player for us. Better than what we have i guess.

He knows where the net is , hes a classy player and showed early on in the season what he can do given a run of games , hes still scoring now even though hes mostly on the bench.

These are the sort of players you spend 20 million on.

He is good enough for us. He'd do a great job in fact. I've suggested Diame for the best part of 2 seasons for us.

Him, Scott Sinclair, and Jermain Defoe would be my top 3 transfer targets, going by the suggested budget I'm hearing we'll have this summer.

Sinclair would sink without trace, besides, Sterling is ready to come in now on the left. I'm ok with Downing staying, he's got a chance still.

Blimey your top 3 summer targets ! ? suggested budget or not thats just a pile of overrated average shit , i guess your looking at us securing our mid table place next year.

We're already mid table shite. Defoe scores goals and has a turn of pace, simple as that.

Diame has high tempo workrate that is really important in getting the ball off the opposition, and he can play a bit too. And Sinclair is going to be class, actually he already is, he's got a decent fianl ball, pace and knows where the net is.

It's not like we're going to sign them anyway. But I can't imagine the owners are going to trust Comoli/ Dalglish with another 100 mil.

Sinclair would sink without trace, besides, Sterling is ready to come in now on the left. I'm ok with Downing staying, he's got a chance still.

Do you thinkso? I've watched him quite a bit and he seems to have his head screwed on, well I get that vibe from the way he carries himself and the few interviews he's done.

I can't predict how he'd fair under the pressure of being a big signing for a team like us, as a poster earlier mentioned there is a unique, massive pressure players have to deal with when coming here. But it's about time some mofo came along and handled that shit, we've had enough duds who've shit it down there years.

Re playing him on the left, I'd be looking to switch him right and left myself. Same with Sterling. But take your point on that.

If we are to only have a small amount to spend, although I'd want the same if we had loads like last summer, I'd like to think our scouting might extent beyond the Premier League. The last thing we need is cast offs from the teams above us, or more mid table shite players from mid table shite sides.

I'd go along with Diame, he's on a bosman and would bring a bit of physicality to our team which we are lacking. My problem with Sinclair and Defoe is you'll overpay for what they are as demonstrated by Carroll and Downing. I'd much prefer to go for someone like Luuk De Jong/Huntelaar and a bit of pace on the wing, someone like Patrick Herrmann from Borussia Moenchangladbach. I really think we should look at the Bundesliga more often as it's pretty similar to the PL and seems to be much better value to be had.

Few from La Liga (as I don't watch a lot of other leagues regularly).

Rondon (22) at Malaga. Striker that may look to move on as its likely Malaga will keep spending.

Ruben (25) at Villarreal. Scored goals in a poor side.

Stuani (25) at Racing. See above.

Agirretxe (25) (might be tricky finding him a song) at Real Sociedad.

Cuesta (26) at Rayo. Attacking midfielder, got a lot of goals this season.

I think they're all fairly realistic. You're right in that we've no chance of getting the likes of Cavani, Lavezzi or Llorente. They'll all be playing for clubs with Champions League football next season. So we have to be creative.

Edited by Jairzinho
Added player's age.

When Comolli was appointed my expectation was that we would implement a radically different transfer strategy which would see us compete for the most promising young players from around the world. We cannot rival the top teams financially so the onus rests on us to make "smarter" purchases if we have designs on challenging for the league.

After our abortion of a league campaign I really hope we adopt a different approach this Summer. We have a mountain to climb and I don't believe we will have the resources available to allow us bridge the gap between ourselves and the title contenders next season. For that reason I would like us to use an incremental approach with a view to challenging in two or three years time. Instead of once again buying stopgaps to plug holes in our team, we should focus on stockpiling talented young players with the potential to develop into top tier footballers.

We should be able to compete financially for these type of players if we make them a priority and are prepared to be patient while they develop and adapt. Most people are familiar with the players tipped for big things but I am talking about the likes of:-

Midfielders

Javi Martinez (Bilbao), Yann M'Vila (Rennes), Ever Banega (Valencia), Ignacio Camacho (Athletico Madrid), Shinji Kagawa (Dortmund)

Wingers / Attacking Midfielders

Christian Tello (Barcelona), Nico Gaitan (Benfica), James Rodriguez (Porto), Dries Mertens (PSV), Eden Hazard (Lille), Lucas Moura (Sao Paolo), Oscar (Internacional), Dusan Tadic (Groningen), Marko Marin (Weder Bremen), Iker Munian (Bilbao), Gaston Ramirez (Bologna), Junior Hoilett (Blackburn)

Strikers

Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Luc Castaigones (Inter), Kleber (Porto), Luuk de Jong (Twente), Bas Dost (Heerenveen), Vaclav Kadlec (Sparta Prague)

I suspect that a lot of these players will make the step up to bigger teams in the next couple of years and I really don't want to see us squander more money on the likes of Downing, Adam and Carroll (who were flavour of the season last year) rather than go for these type of players. We are always kicking ourselves for missing out on the likes of Bale, Higuain and Ozil but we don't take enough chances on promising players to earn those type of rewards.

Our Academy finally looks ready to produce players capable of contributing to the first team - Kelly, Spearing, Flanagan, Robinson, Sterling. If we can supplement them with the brightest young players around the world and a few astute older signings we may actually get places in a couple of years time.

huntelaar is the only forward we should be trying to get to play up top with Luis

we also need a beast of a centre mid like an M'Vila

We need a wide player too but we've said that numerous times in the past 20 years

I want a couple of midfielders who are offended that the oppo has the ball ...if M'Villa is that guy great

huntelaar is the only forward we should be trying to get to play up top with Luis

we also need a beast of a centre mid like an M'Vila

We need a wide player too but we've said that numerous times in the past 20 years

He's 28 now, i think.. Gonna cost 20m euros as well. Not sure FSG would be up for that. He also might have offers from CL clubs.

We definitely need someone who takes at least 2 out of every 3 chances he gets.

If that young lad McCabe for Rangers plays to the standard he showed in the Old Firm week in week out then he's going to be a great player, 3rd appearance for Rangers, yes appearance not start, and he's bossing the Old Firm game? Nice.