You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Aquilani becomes a Milan player if he plays this weekend!

Personally I would add Spearing and Kuyt to the sales, we could easily raise £20m from sales! If we put in further £20m then we should be okay. But are we going to get a right mid, forward and DM or are we going to buy a left back, left mid, and another attacking CM!

Aquilani becomes a Milan player if he plays this weekend!

Personally I would add Spearing and Kuyt to the sales, we could easily raise £20m from sales! If we put in further £20m then we should be okay. But are we going to get a right mid, forward and DM or are we going to buy a left back, left mid, and another attacking CM!

No point selling Spearing he's decent cover and would need to be replaced which will end up costing more money in the long run. He should only be used as cover though. Unless Coady or some other youngster could step up.

No point selling Spearing he's decent cover and would need to be replaced which will end up costing more money in the long run. He should only be used as cover though. Unless Coady or some other youngster could step up.

He isn't anywhere near good enough though! He isn't good cover in my opinion, he just happens to be the only cover, he is a better defensive midfielder than Adam, Henderson and Gerrard but that is not good enough. He could bring in £5m, so by that I think he is a decent sale.

Kieta, or Flamini could come in for nothing and give us more.

Other than the huge signing on fee, and the massive wages, yep, free.

That is a fair point!

But still no reason not to sell him. He is quite good closing down the player in front of him, but poor covering the defence, doesn't have the awareness to anticipate.

I was hoping to watch Diamme today, really think we need top class cover in that position.

Couple of murmerings of us looking at James McCarthy from Wigan.

Apparently we've watched them on a couple of occassions and with both Kenny and Comolli present. Watched them recently also but we are playing them next week, so it'd make sense. However, Comolli's attendance suggests we were looking at somebody.

We better not fucking sign James McCarthy from Wigan.

Would be a better back-up for Lucas than any of the players currently on our books

He isn't anywhere near good enough though! He isn't good cover in my opinion, he just happens to be the only cover, he is a better defensive midfielder than Adam, Henderson and Gerrard but that is not good enough. He could bring in £5m, so by that I think he is a decent sale.

Kieta, or Flamini could come in for nothing and give us more.

Kieta is fucking shit and no way would we get £5million for Spearing.

Get rid of Henderson, Adam, downing, spearing, Carrara, Maxi, Wilson, Aqua and Kuyt.... Hopefully that will raise enough money, in addition to the money from the owners ( who have contributed fuck all in funding terms), to replace the players leaving and strengthen our squad....

This will take some bold decisions as well as some smart cheaper ones...

Another summer like our last one and we'll be relegation candidates next year...

Spearing is not good enough back up for a club that has serious intentions of top 4.

For a club that does not have an infinite amount of money he's better off being kept and used as little as possible. Other then wasting money on shit like Keita who also comes with a higher wage requirement then Spearing.

I cant believe after all this time the players we need are a central midfield, a winger and a forward. Its like were doomed to never find them.

For me out would go:

doni, jones ( i assume he is still here), aurelio, adam, kuyt, cole, aquilani and carroll (but only for a bid greater than £15m)

Id keep henderson and downing. Carroll doest suit how we want to play so unless we change it up i cant see him improving.

I have no idea who is attainable given our current mess but we certainly need pace and technique in the side. I think if we are going to get anyone young and decent they will just see us as a stepping stone club because right now thats where we are.

Thing is though if we do go for these players such as coates last summer we have to be prepared to fucking play them. Its not going to be a great summer. But pace and technique is what we need. The same as we have needed for the last 10 + years.

No point selling Spearing. He won't raise more than a couple of million, and he's ok as back up for Lucas. There are certainly worse central midfielders at the club.

Actually, I think there aren't. Jay Spearing is beyond terrible. A defensive midfielder who can't win the ball, can't close people down, and just pretends to be busy chasing his own tail. He shouldn't be playing at this level for one minute, and I doubt he gets into any Premier League team's line up.

Actually, I think there aren't. Jay Spearing is beyond terrible. A defensive midfielder who can't win the ball, can't close people down, and just pretends to be busy chasing his own tail. He shouldn't be playing at this level for one minute, and I doubt he gets into any Premier League team's line up.

Fair enough. I think Adam and Henderson are worse. None of the three are good enough really. None of them should be starting for us. We only have two central midfielders at the club definitely good enough.

£12m a window average FSG have spent, had it not been for thar crazy Russian they wouldn't have paid Ajax for Suarez, more bullshit about the stadium, I'd say we're worse off than we were under moores, total chancer's this lot.

Of course they are. But what else do you expect from an investment company.

I dont think they have ever stated that they would be running the club on a more than financially neutral basis.

They are hedging their best on the FFP rules coming.

McClean at Sunderland is looking better and better with each passing game. Big, strong, fast, skilful, decent with both feet, good cross, good on outside and inside & a decent shot.

Looks better than anything we've had outwide since McManaman. Would be nice if we could pull a few signings out of nowhere like that. How much did they pay for him?

That's fucking depressing.

He's 23 in a few weeks, has 1 international cap to his name and moved to a shit Premiership team for a pittance less than a year ago. What are the odds he's actually a top class player who has somehow escaped the radar of every big club in Europe, including those with extensive scouting networks in Ireland, and what are the odds he's the latest in a very, very, very long line of ordinary players who just hits a run of good form and suddenly has people clamouring for his signature (Charlie Adam being a prime example)?