You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

In fairness to the owners they have said from day one that we wouldn't spend money we don't earn ourselves. If the money of the last year had been spent better we wouldn't be needing lots more extra money to achieve our initial objectives.

We have spent north of 75 million quid on attacking players in the last year and have scored less than all but two of the bottom 5 teams in the Premier League. We have spent a club record fee of £35 million on a striker yet we cannot score goals and people are saying we need a goalscorer. Moreover we spent that money on Carroll and yet in many of our big games he doesn't even start! No club with a budget like ours should ever spend a figure like that on a player who will be left on the bench for some big games.

We have spent all that money and yet most people if asked what we would need in the summer would say a goalscorer and a winger. If we still need those players that is not the owners fault.

In fairness to the owners they have said from day one that we wouldn't spend money we don't earn ourselves. If the money of the last year had been spent better we wouldn't be needing lots more extra money to achieve our initial objectives.

We have spent north of 75 million quid on attacking players in the last year and have scored less than all but two of the bottom 5 teams in the Premier League. We have spent a club record fee of £35 million on a striker yet we cannot score goals and people are saying we need a goalscorer. Moreover we spent that money on Carroll and yet in many of our big games he doesn't even start! No club with a budget like ours should ever spend a figure like that on a player who will be left on the bench for some big games.

We have spent all that money and yet most people if asked what we would need in the summer would say a goalscorer and a winger. If we still need those players that is not the owners fault.

Agreed.

Kenny has wasted roughly £85 million pounds on Downing Adam Henderson and Carroll.

Makes me uncomfortable that.

I am as miffed about some of our signings as the next one. But i dont think we are nearly as far off as we were a year/15 months ago. Watching the team play is like night and day. I know at the end of the day, it's the points that count. But looking at how we dominate general play against most teams we really aint that far off, we need a couple more effective players in the final third. That would up our effectiveness by a massive margin.

Just fucking look at Arsenal, we hammered them for 90+ minutes yesterday, but two chances for that cunt of theirs up front and they win 2-1.

I am as miffed about some of our signings as the next one. But i dont think we are nearly as far off as we were a year/15 months ago. Watching the team play is like night and day. I know at the end of the day, it's the points that count. But looking at how we dominate general play against most teams we really aint that far off, we need a couple more effective players in the final third. That would up our effectiveness by a massive margin.

Just fucking look at Arsenal, we hammered them for 90+ minutes yesterday, but two chances for that cunt of theirs up front and they win 2-1.

It's baffling that we didn't bring in a goalscorer in the summer. Not being wise with hindsight either. The end of last season it was obvious to everyone we needed a goalscorer amongst other things. We approach the summer again still needing a goalscorer and still needing an injection of pace in the team, particularly out wide. Even centre mid needs looking at. The team have improved considerably in the last 18 months, but we're still a fair way off challenging for the title.

What wonderful hindsight. We all know we overspent on Carroll, including Kenny and Camolli but its still up to them to try and get it out of him. He was playing well up to the last two game stint on the bench, but that was more to do with one being a cup final and the other being arsenal at home. Carroll has not lived up to the price tag or expectation and that's why we need another striker. Who knows, we could take it a new boy and suddenly carroll's form kicks on.

Agreed, good post.

What wonderful hindsight. We all know we overspent on Carroll, including Kenny and Camolli but its still up to them to try and get it out of him. He was playing well up to the last two game stint on the bench, but that was more to do with one being a cup final and the other being arsenal at home. Carroll has not lived up to the price tag or expectation and that's why we need another striker. Who knows, we could take it a new boy and suddenly carroll's form kicks on.

Of course its hindsight - I am not a football expert paid millions to have foresight. All I am saying is the owners cannot take the blame for so many of our attacking signings looking to be poor or average signings.

It's baffling that we didn't bring in a goalscorer in the summer. Not being wise with hindsight either. The end of last season it was obvious to everyone we needed a goalscorer amongst other things. We approach the summer again still needing a goalscorer and still needing an injection of pace in the team, particularly out wide. Even centre mid needs looking at. The team have improved considerably in the last 18 months, but we're still a fair way off challenging for the title.

I can understand the management looking at midfielders ahead of a striker last summer. Since Carroll had barely got a run in the team and was not really fit for more than one or two months or so from jan up until may. But i am at a loss for words we didnt act in january considering how much a CL place is worth, and without investment in attacking quality the odds were never going to be on our side for the remainder of the season. Being far off the title is relative i would say. 3 players could make a ridiculous difference. Though we'd be talking an investment of £70-80m. And i doubt we'll be doing that.

However, I totally disagree with FSG aren't going to be happy with Kenny's results so far this year. We've gone from shite football to good football and our defense is great, and we're playing with a bit of style.

I can't say that it is Kenny's fault that the players can't slot in penalties, or keep hitting posts, or hitting the crowd behind th net. We are, literally, 10 goals out of third place... Give or take.

I think this season has been huge wake up call for FSG. We went from shite football to good football mid season last year and continued to the end of that season.

This season we have gone back to not committing enough players in the box and sitting deep as soon as we go one nil up.

Ultimately the manager is responsible for the players signed and played in the games.

Just a shame we spunked big money on wasters. For 35 mil you would expect someone van persie standard, not a useless fucking carthorse.

Yeah, everyone agree that we paid too much, and many that we bought him in the first place, regardless of his price. But why is it getting brought up every 10 minutes ?

There's nothing we can do about it now and personally i dont see what people get out of bringing it up all the time.

Just a shame we spunked big money on wasters. For 35 mil you would expect someone van persie standard, not a useless fucking carthorse.

I keep seeing that pantomime horse from "RENTAGHOST" (sp?) when I see him play. The fact that he doesn't play all that often I think says alot

Kenny defends him, says positive things but I am extremely dissapointed that we signed him for all that money. I know that the price tag is not Carrolls fault, but it is what, 6 or 7% of the value of the entire club? Not even Suarez can make him look good, he has no real pace or technical ability.

I think we need two top first team strikers/forwards. I would like to see Suarez as a withdrawn forward with one or both of the above in front of him. Our defence is great imo and we have some real quality in the ressies and u18s.

I do worry about how long we can keep Pepe at this level of performance in the league though. Agger and Skrtel in particular have been really impressive and should be on the radar of CL clubs.

Hindsight? What the fuck? This place and many others were filled with thread after thread of Liverpool fans expressing disappointment/ horror/ fear/ disgust/ hilarity that LFC had spent 80m on Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam

Nobody on Earth would have bought those 4 players with 80m to spend. Apart from the people who actually did, and the very few "Kenny can do no wrong" blerts who are doubtless embarrassed by that stance now

I've got no problem with us not spending big, I'd rather the club continued to exist longer than the next five-10 years, which I honestly don't think some premiership teams will.

People have to bear in mind Premiership football has been existing in a bubble. It's an artificial one - sort of like the pre-credit crunch housing market - it's based on smoke and mirrors, rich backers and living beyond your means. Tax and spend. And it just doesn't work unless you've got the magic ingredients of one of the world's richest men who also happens to be a narcissist, and a manager who knows what to do with the cash.

A crash is coming though, big time, and I'd rather Liverpool finished 7th every year for the next decade than go bust.

Its got to be a concern that CL clubs will be looking at some of our players in the summer, can we expect to keep Agger, Skrtel, Pepe and maybe Suarez if we get offers from Major European clubs?

I don't really know. It's certainly a worry. It's very obvious we are not a very good team and as most of us knew, we weren't going to finish Top 4 this season.

Will we next season? I wouldn't be convinced. It depends on who we sell and who we buy. Certainly I always said that Kenny should get at least one more season, but if next year sees an equally pathetic league campaign then he should be sacked

I've got no problem with us not spending big, I'd rather the club continued to exist longer than the next five-10 years, which I honestly don't think some premiership teams will.

People have to bear in mind Premiership football has been existing in a bubble. It's an artificial one - sort of like the pre-credit crunch housing market - it's based on smoke and mirrors, rich backers and living beyond your means. Tax and spend. And it just doesn't work unless you've got the magic ingredients of one of the world's richest men who also happens to be a narcissist, and a manager who knows what to do with the cash.

A crash is coming though, big time, and I'd rather Liverpool finished 7th every year for the next decade than go bust.

Agreed. Good post.

Which is why Wenger is the way he is.

Sadly, we still chose to spend and it didn't work.

I think that was our shot.

I've just watched a bit of goals on Sunday and they were showing Pompey fans outside Fratton Park with the buckets out, they then cut back to the studio and theres Carew and Heridarsson (SP) 2 indifferent journeymen playing in the champo probably pulling in £90k a week between them.

Not sustainable at any level.

What bothers me, and i've said it before, is our dreadful ability to spot talent.

Edited by thompsonsnose

I've said it before and i'll say it again; I think Dries Mertens is a player we could get and he looks quality. We need a player that has loads of pace, can beat a man and knows where the net is. Get a good striker too and we are looking a lot better.

For the people bringing up Carroll's fee (35 million) do you actually know how the deal was done?

From what I've heard, we agreed with Ashley that whatever we got for Torres, we'd pay 15 mill less. So the deal that was done was not really Andy Carroll for 35 million, it was Torres for 15 million and Carroll. Abramovich paid for most of him.

Not that it makes that much difference, because he's not been that good. It never seems to get said, though. For how Torres has gone on to do, it wasn't an awful piece of business.

Guest ShoePiss
For the people bringing up Carroll's fee (35 million) do you actually know how the deal was done?

From what I've heard, we agreed with Ashley that whatever we got for Torres, we'd pay 15 mill less. So the deal that was done was not really Andy Carroll for 35 million, it was Torres for 15 million and Carroll. Abramovich paid for most of him.

Not that it makes that much difference, because he's not been that good. It never seems to get said, though. For how Torres has gone on to do, it wasn't an awful piece of business.

I read that we were telling Chelsea whatever Carroll costs plus £15m for Torres.

It could have been worse yes, we could have paid £50m for Torres and not known how to play him. Carroll has been shit though, really shit. That's all there is to it whether he was bought for £5m or £35m.

Edited by ShoePiss

If I had heard that, and believed it, I would have wondered what type of buffoon we had making our deals Lets be honest witn Ashley, level with him and only take £15M? Why the fuck would we do that?

Torres has been poor, but he is a Chelsea player who will simply be replaced by the worlds richest village idiot. We on the other hand have spent £35 hard to find million on a pantomime horse who is completely out of his depth

That £35 million, nomatter how we came by it, is very significant and is a major factorin us missing out on further champions league revenue which further impacts on our credibility in the signing of top plsyers.