You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

JohnnyH

It doesnt sound like this is going to sort itself or that your physio appointment is going to arrive in a hurry.

Did you do anything about some private treatment....if you've never had physio before its tempting to think that they wont be able to do much for you...they can do some incredible things...I didnt believe in acupuncture until I had some...at the very least its worth ringing up a practice explaining your problem and let them tell you the charge...then at least you'll know. The pain you're in it might be worth taking a hit for one session at least

And if nothing else go back to the GP, get some more painkillers and ask about the timescales for the NHS route.

Good luck

Guest ShoePiss

Are there no plans to bring out medical marijuana cards in the uk? It appears to be working quite well in Oregon, I even saw a hydroponics shop the other day.

• 7 years later...

Been getting some sciatic pain for around a year, positive it stems from my sleeping position (on my left side / belly with my left leg straight out,  right leg cocked over).

Like others  have mentioned, I've found that stretching and some light exercise has helped me some, but I've just shelled out on one  of those contour legacy leg pillows in an effort to correct my sleeping posture and straighten out the sciatic nerve. Hopefully this will  help sort it before it gets as bad as some of the earlier horror stories in this thread.

7 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Been getting some sciatic pain for around a year, positive it stems from my sleeping position (on my left side / belly with my left leg straight out,  right leg cocked over).

Like others  have mentioned, I've found that stretching and some light exercise has helped me some, but I've just shelled out on one  of those contour legacy leg pillows in an effort to correct my sleeping posture and straighten out the sciatic nerve. Hopefully this will  help sort it before it gets as bad as some of the earlier horror stories in this thread.

Some stretches and some exercises help a lot. As does the occasional trip to the Osteopath.

• Upvote 2

I've been having what I thought was bursitis / sciatic pain for about 8 years, GP gave me cortisone injections into my hip a couple of times and it would go away for a while. In February this year it got really bad, couldn't sleep or drive the car without intense pain, went to a new GP and was sent for hip and back x rays. All perfectly normal, so I was sent for physio, which I was really skeptical of. However 5 sessions later and I feel great, it was my glut muscle, i had a few dry needling sessions (similar to acupuncture) and had to do loads of stretching/exercising at home but it has worked. I hope to go back playing some 5 a side next week.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, aws said:

Go and see a chiro. A good one will probably sort you out with a couple of visits.  

I've been to physios and oestepaths both with short-term success but never a Chiro, as I've heard the countless stories of them being money pits. 

Should be a similar visit charge to an osteopath but with a good one the treatments should be fewer. I reckon the long term outcome will be better as they treat and adjust what is causing the problem rather than the problem itself. There might be a need for occasional maintenance work to prevent reoccurrence.  Would look for one who is member of BCA.  

• Upvote 1