You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That's nice Simon. But what's your take on Bourbon?

Damn this thread bump: I'll have to get myself a bottle of Gentleman Jack for Chrimbo now..

I love it Aiden Byrne got me into it I used to turn my nose up at it. Used to think it was just vile to make you pissed the way I drunk it was wrong so it would burn going down. He taught me how to drink it and introduced me to Ten High I've looked all over for that never found it quite as well I didn't anyway I'd be a alcoholic if I had of done.

Thinking of getting some Jura for the christmas Expensive though.

Doesnt that belong in the whisky thread?

How does JD get into a bourbon thread though as well as being vile I Dont think it qualifies as a bourbon.

But surely, JD is bourbon?

Skids has got it spot on. It goes through pretty much the same process as bourbon, but because they filter it through charcoal they argue it is different. Load of balls.

From their website:

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey

Incidentally, the company that own JD make Woodford Reserve Bourbon and Southern Comfort, amongst others.

Our Brands | Brown-Forman

I love it Aiden Byrne got me into it I used to turn my nose up at it. Used to think it was just vile to make you pissed the way I drunk it was wrong so it would burn going down. He taught me how to drink it and introduced me to Ten High I've looked all over for that never found it quite as well I didn't anyway I'd be a alcoholic if I had of done.

What's the proper way to drink bourbon?

Doesnt that belong in the whisky thread?

But surely' date=' JD is bourbon?[/quote']

JD is a Sour Mash whiskey. Bourbon is made in the same mashing process as sour mash. But characteristically, contains more corn than a sour mash whiskey.

You get more of a fuller taste in a bourbon too because of the fact bourbons are double distilled and aged in oak, I feel.

What's the proper way to drink bourbon?

Old fashioned. A little bit of brown sugar, orange bitters, diluted slightly with ice to take the harshness of the bourbon away.

If you haven't got orange bitters, use orange zest when you're stirring to dilute the ice.

Old fashioned. A little bit of brown sugar' date=' orange bitters, diluted slightly with ice to take the harshness of the bourbon away.

If you haven't got orange bitters, use orange zest when you're stirring to dilute the ice.[/quote']

Only if your a woman.

Straight out the bottle