You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Over Christmas I had that Noro Virus/Vomiting bug that was going round which put the mockers on the excessive drinking and eating I planned to do.

I normally drink cider or lager and the occasional JD and coke. As it transpires the only think I could stomach drinking during my recovery was JD with ice. I got a real taste for it.

I've had Jim Bean in the same manner and Buffalo. I am currently drinking Aldi's own effort Clarke's Old Kentucky which is surprisingly nice and a lot smoother then I'd envisioned. I know Makers Mark is a good one as well but have never tried it

Anyone throw any recommendations to me?

Paulie,

I love malt whisky, but bourbon is great too, you have a malt straight but if you want a longer drink then bourbon is the go to, with coke and ice ( malt has to be straight, any additions are blasphemous).

Morrisons own is pretty good, and in a place a I used to live in there was a Booze Buster nearby and they sold one called Penny Packer which was excellent. Dunno if they still do but it was good

But if you are going for another "name" then Wild Turkey is the one. Lovely and smooth a great drink.

Bourbon....yum.

Paulie,

I love malt whisky, but bourbon is great too, you have a malt straight but if you want a longer drink then bourbon is the go to, with coke and ice ( malt has to be straight, any additions are blasphemous).

Morrisons own is pretty good, and in a place a I used to live in there was a Booze Buster nearby and they sold one called Penny Packer which was excellent. Dunno if they still do but it was good

But if you are going for another "name" then Wild Turkey is the one. Lovely and smooth a great drink.

Bourbon....yum.

My birds brother let me taste a few of his expensive single malts over new year but they took my breath away...in a none good way. They have too much bite for me. I will be exploring the world of bourbons though. Wild turkey is next on my list

Just ridiculously smooth mate, tastes incredible. It's £30 in ASDA, well worth it.

Pricey, but then my birthday is coming up!

About 3 times the price ! The Sainsbury's own brand is surprisingly good also

I would've discounted these kind of brands if I wasn't drinking Aldi's own at the mo and really enjoying it!

Well I make no apology for supermarket bourbon, when I've been skint and unhinged by divorce and financial sodomy I've made a bottle of supermarket bourbon, a bottle of coke and the box set of Brass Eye stretch into a few good evenings.

And I havent a clue whats going on with Johnnie walker labels.

In my student days I used to drink an Aldi own brand different from the one above though. It was fucking lush, tasted chocolatey and preferred it to more expensive stuff like JD and Jim Beam. Can't remember what it was called and they long since stopped selling it though sadly. I am firmly in the Malt camp now, though would never get drunk on it so for getting drunk I'll do some Bourbon.

The Gentleman Jack really is worth the money.

Agreed. It is lovely.

This is nicer, however. It's about £40 a bottle and they sell it in Costco. Just an amazing taste.

jack_daniels_single_barrel-2010.jpg

I also got this off someone for Christmas, it's a gift pack containing the normal Jack, The Gentleman Jack and the Single Barrel Jack. Worth getting to try them. It's £14.99 on this site :

Jack Daniels Family Miniatures

jack_daniels_gift_pack_3_x_5cl.jpg

I'm not that into the single barrell, I think it's cheaper than Gentleman Jack in ASDA too although the bottle may be smaller.

It's been at least a tenner dearer whenever I've seen it. Unless it is a smaller bottle as you say. I prefer that, but the Gentleman Jack is a lovely drink.

Just seen that gift set for £12.50 on Amazon as well

Jack Daniels Family Gift Pack (includes Gentleman Jack & Single Barrel): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

I'm going to have to try some of this fudge now I've noticed it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardiners-Daniels-Tennessee-Whiskey-Fudge/dp/B0012BI6IE/ref=pd_cp_grocery_2

1286366410-57814400.jpg