You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 3 months later...

Woodford Reserve is my 'cooking bourbon' of choice and has a permanent mooring in my drinks cabinet.

Pushed the boat out recently as I don't go out to drink these days. Tried Wild Turkey Longbranch (£40 Tescos) and Michters US*1 (£55, Waitrose). 

Both are well worth staying in for. The Michters is king, but bang for buck over and above the Woodford, I'd say the Lonbranch is well worth the extra few quid.

Also, Twats in the US are currently hoovering up small-batch bourbons by the barrel-load. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Michters US*1 at well over £60 a bottle by Chrimbo.

This knob creek is undrinkable neat, I mean it actually sears your tongue. I've had to relegate it to being drunk with Coke as a mixer. I'll have to go back to one of my old reliables like Buffalo Trace.

This is the problem with taking a chance on new booze, it costs an arm and a leg and you might not like it. Wish it was possible to buy more sample sets.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Elite said:

How does Irish Whiskey compare to Bourbon? I've only ever bothered with Bourbon due to liking JD. Is Jameson's nice? How does the taste differ?

I like Bushmills, Jamesons is quite sharp and I have to have it with ice if I'm having any, Bushmills is easier to drink straight. I much prefer it to most blended Scotch to be honest and would personally say it's much closer to Bourbon in taste than scotch.

• Upvote 1

On 27/10/2020 at 08:33, Section_31 said:

This knob creek is undrinkable neat, I mean it actually sears your tongue. I've had to relegate it to being drunk with Coke as a mixer. I'll have to go back to one of my old reliables like Buffalo Trace.

This is the problem with taking a chance on new booze, it costs an arm and a leg and you might not like it. Wish it was possible to buy more sample sets.

Masters of Malt to advent calendars where you can mix n' match single tots of most whiskeys and Bourbons.

You can buy most of them individually as well.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Anyone had wild turkey 101? Is it a smooth sip?

I used to drink it in my late teens/early 20s. It gets you very drunk is my main memory of it. It's better tasting than the likes of Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Haven't had one for years though. Would prefer a good single malt these days but rarely drink whisky. 

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

It's about 45%.

It's nice but I prefer JD and Rebel.

I've never tried Rebel and I much prefer Jim Beam to JD with JB Devils Cut being a bit of a favourite.

My daughter got me a bottle of Gentleman Jack the other week which I haven't opened yet as I've still got some other stuff to get through first.

I'll keep an eye out for Rebel though because I wouldn't trying that.

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

I used to drink it in my late teens/early 20s. It gets you very drunk is my main memory of it. It's better tasting than the likes of Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Haven't had one for years though. Would prefer a good single malt these days but rarely drink whisky. 

Yeah, I got absolutely twatted on this when I was around 18/19 in the Irish Centre (I think). Rocket fuel.