You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackburn have a better and reputed academy.

They do bring good players through. Ours has been last for years now and we've had to chuck money at it just to try and catch up.

Out of the two teams today Blackburn had two players who played well against us and United the other week in the first team (Bunn and Henley) and a £1m signing in Jordan Slew who got Sheffield United to the Youth Cup final last season.

So their team had more pedigree than ours. Sterling cost a bit, but that's it. None of our team have any first-team experience between them either other than the odd game Eccleston played last season actaully. The difference is they dropped back the likes of Henley to the reserves whereas our younger players on the fringes of the first team don't get dropped back.

I didn't see the game, but we've got to remember that most of these are kids just out of the Academy, and will be in the 18 to 19 category so still very young, the others who are a little older I would say are there to make up the numbers so we can get a team out, eg Mendy, Roberts, even Eccleston, and don't have a future with us, and I agree are pretty shite. But I would think it is pretty hard to have every position filled at all age groups with lads that have a good chance to make it here. The ones in their positions that do have a future with us are either with the first team squad already (eg Flanno, Shelvey) or are with the under 18s as they are still in the 17 to 18 category.

I remember seeing the reserves playing Blackburn earlier in the season and there are some massive units in that Blackburn team, so I checked out their ages and some of them are 21, 22 and even 23, thats quite a big difference in strength, fitness and experience compared to most of our lads.

So yes, the shit ones do bring down the good ones, but it should still be good experience for those with a chance. And as said by someone else, I would expect a big improvement next season, in both the reserves and the academy.

Flanagan isn't playing for anyone hard to know if he has gone backwards or not.

I have seen him a couple of times for the reserves and he looked good going forward but rash in the tackle... the only other time I saw him this season was in the first team on the opening day of the season, where he was at fault for the goal conceeded.

I hope Flanagan, Shelvey - maybe even Kelly play in the Nextgen game. Is Robinson training yet? would be good to have him as well.

They do bring good players through. Ours has been last for years now and we've had to chuck money at it just to try and catch up.

Out of the two teams today Blackburn had two players who played well against us and United the other week in the first team (Bunn and Henley) and a £1m signing in Jordan Slew who got Sheffield United to the Youth Cup final last season.

So their team had more pedigree than ours. Sterling cost a bit, but that's it. None of our team have any first-team experience between them either other than the odd game Eccleston played last season actaully. The difference is they dropped back the likes of Henley to the reserves whereas our younger players on the fringes of the first team don't get dropped back.

Didn't realise some of them had played for first team as well, just checked, Henley has 5 appearances in the first team including 3 starts, and 3 others who have a sub appearance each. Only Eccleston from our side today has got anywhere close to to the first team

Flanagan isn't playing for anyone hard to know if he has gone backwards or not.

I have seen him a couple of times for the reserves and he looked good going forward but rash in the tackle... the only other time I saw him this season was in the first team on the opening day of the season, where he was at fault for the goal conceeded.

I hope Flanagan, Shelvey - maybe even Kelly play in the Nextgen game. Is Robinson training yet? would be good to have him as well.

I think Kelly might be too old, seem to remember checking a few months back

The lads who looked shit hot in the 18s last year have all gone backwards this season. Wisdom, Coady, Sterling, Morgan, Silva... Flanagan is the only one who hasn't, but he hardly plays for the ressies for some reason.

The way I see it with those players:

Wisdom - pissed about a lot playing in a different position every game in defence. The back four changes every game as well so no continuity.

Coady - dragged down by playing alongside an average player in Roberts so is exposed playing in a midfield two.

Sterling - getting used to playing against bigger and more experienced players for the first time, after blitzing players his own age for years. Also probably jaded after the under 17 World Cup went on through the summer, so didn't get a rest.

Morgan - don't know what's happened to him lately.

Silva - has hardly started a game for ages, but does make an impact when he comes on.

Flanagan - for some reason he's hardly being given games at any level this season, which defies all logic as he hasn't been injured and would have learnt from the 6 Next Gen games. Even when Kelly and Johnson were injured Skrtel was moved to right back rather than Flano.

Been disappointed with Adorjan this season as well.

Some harsh words on here about Roberts. Average player he isn't. Hardworker, good passer and good tackler he is. Didn't give the ball away once today. Goes about his business quietly and gets and doesn't look for any thanks for it. Unlike a lot of players in the reserves. He'll be a decent player one day.