You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK has tighter copyright laws than the US so why don't we prosecute rather than give in to deportation requests? Same with Megaupload, if breaking the law why didn't NZ authorities act?

I don't know the details but 10-15 years ago the US made a big push to get some sort of reciprocity in IP laws baked it into NAFTA etc but they ultimately failed. Now they have to go through complicated extradition processes and often with countries who have deliberately lax copyright laws. So in the absence of collaboration they are trying to extend their jurisdiction to the whole world!

So IF I wanted to download a load of "free" music, where would I to do this. I would normally spend ages messing about looking for it at work, but they've recently put admin controls on our lap tops so I can't download a load of stuff and I don't want my home computer riddled with viruses.. Anywhere where it's sort of safe to download "free" music that people use often?

So IF I wanted to download a load of "free" music, where would I to do this. I would normally spend ages messing about looking for it at work, but they've recently put admin controls on our lap tops so I can't download a load of stuff and I don't want my home computer riddled with viruses.. Anywhere where it's sort of safe to download "free" music that people use often?

Install vuze, probably easiest.

It's definitely daft, I think we can all agree on that.

My personal view is that the 'entertainment' industry needs to adapt and isn't prepared to do so. For obvious reasons I guess, they aren't going to be making as much money when people get their stuff for free.

Same for artists. If you accept the very real notion that you won't make much (if any) money from selling your product, you should become liberated and focus on the ways that you can make money.

It's definitely daft, I think we can all agree on that.

My personal view is that the 'entertainment' industry needs to adapt and isn't prepared to do so. For obvious reasons I guess, they aren't going to be making as much money when people get their stuff for free.

Same for artists. If you accept the very real notion that you won't make much (if any) money from selling your product, you should become liberated and focus on the ways that you can make money.

Apple has shown people will pay. But they understand it's more than just content. The MPAA et al don't get it.