You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Whatever things you can say about the Tories, I don't think a reluctance to appoint "brown people" to top jobs is one of them. The government looks like a United Colors of Benetton ad. Javid, Sunak, Braverman, Zahawi, Cleverly, Sharma, and no doubt a few others who are taking an absolute kicking in the other threads on this forum. To put it another way, I'd certainly like to see how the makeup of the cabinet compares to Jolyon's chambers.

I’ve said this before in a different thread but up until last week the current cabinet was the most diverse senior government team in the entire political history of Western Europe in terms of ethnicity, gender and religion. Meanwhile every elected Labour leader since John smith has been a white, middle aged, millionaire male. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I’ve said this before in a different thread but up until last week the current cabinet was the most diverse senior government team in the entire political history of Western Europe in terms of ethnicity, gender and religion. Meanwhile every elected Labour leader since John smith has been a white, middle aged, millionaire male. 

Yes, we're well aware that people of all races, genders and religion can be utter cunts.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Captain Willard said:

Just as a bit of an experiment, can you explain why that's a good thing? I'm not saying it is or it isn't, I'm just asking you as you're the one who said it in contrast to Labour's record. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Good point, makes you wonder if it's deliberately so, to try to reassure the traditional tory voter that Labour are on the same side as them.

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

You know how much I love, admire, and respect you, right? Any chance you don't subject me to Nadine fucking Dorries on the daily? 

Poor Nadine.

It feels like an endurance test anyway, just did it for a laugh. She'll be gone soon.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

t1larg.jpg

Another fabulous political picture--the 2010 coalition cabinet.

Look at all the Tor..... oh hang on.... we have a new lot of..... wow..... WOW

This country (and don't compare it to others or take it to a thread about them) has enough racists to follow what these cunts take them. Denying that makes you as bad as them. Labour probably have some in their party, the real reality here is we have a Pricks vs Non Pricks issue. Strontz delivers when he shows himself up as a prick. A couple of others do on here. Rico plays devils advocate and I know he isn't racist because I know him personally. 

Fuck racism and fuck anyone who denies that racism isn't a problem. Brexit was won on racism. FACT 

Don’t really know anything about this fella other than the fact that he clubbed an animal to death but fair play to him. Big gamble though. If Sunak wins you would need a team of highly skilled quantity surveyors to calculate the sheer size of cock that he’s made of himself. 

55 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Don’t really know anything about this fella other than the fact that he clubbed an animal to death but fair play to him. Big gamble though. If Sunak wins you would need a team of highly skilled quantity surveyors to calculate the sheer size of cock that he’s made of himself. 

The problem wasn't asking the question of whether or not the Tories were ready to elect a brown person as leader. The problem was specifically directing it at one of the brown people standing in that election. One of the many problems people from ethnic and racial minorities face is the bigotry of low expectations, the idea that less should be expected from someone who is a minority. Maugham's question contained the implicit suggestion that Sunak may as well not bother, because the racists in his party won't elect him. Chances are Sunak won't be put off by something like that, but if we normalise that line of questioning, then it will serve to discourage people from minority groups from achieving their potential. People from minority groups should be encouraged to overcome barriers, not dissuaded from even trying in the first place.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The problem wasn't asking the question of whether or not the Tories were ready to elect a brown person as leader. The problem was specifically directing it at one of the brown people standing in that election. One of the many problems people from ethnic and racial minorities face is the bigotry of low expectations, the idea that less should be expected from someone who is a minority. Maugham's question contained the implicit suggestion that Sunak may as well not bother, because the racists in his party won't elect him. Chances are Sunak won't be put off by something like that, but if we normalise that line of questioning, then it will serve to discourage people from minority groups from achieving their potential. People from minority groups should be encouraged to overcome barriers, not dissuaded from even trying in the first place.

It’s not even as if there’s polling showing that the ethnicity of leaders makes little difference to how voters place their votes.  Oh. 

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

Oh yeah, I’ve already got him down as a nasty piece of shit because of the fox thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...