You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just been in my local shop which is run by sound Sri Lankans and one of the local bagheads was arguing the toss over a quid on the half-bottles of vodka being more expensive than the full ones (which it always is) then he starts with all the "fucking pakis robbing cunts" bollocks, there's a big queue behind him and I am directly next so I say "no need to be racist lad" so he turns round and starts kicking off on me telling me to mind my own fucking business and it's got nothing to do with me etc and frankly I shit out, just shrugged my shoulders and he left the shop. No-one else in the shop apart from me and the shopkeeper opened their mouths against this fucking moron.

Part of me is annoyed with myself for getting involved, the fella could've been a loon or had a knife or anything (and my bird duly bollocked me for getting embroiled), but part of me is more annoyed that the other 3 people in the shop didn't join in to condemn this prick so he'd just fuck off with his tail between his legs.

What would anyone else have done?

Bollocks. If I'd known thay was you I would have fucking stabbed you.....

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/02/16/nadia-king-florida-baker-act/

The body-camera footage starts after police officers had already located their suspect, and she fit the description: hazel eyes, about four feet tall and really concerned about finding candy.

In the footage, Nadia King, 6, emerges from Love Grove Elementary School on Feb. 4, holding the hand of a Jacksonville sheriff’s deputy. The officers were told Nadia was “a threat to herself and others” and was “out of control,” a police incident report later recounted, and it would lead to her committal in a mental health facility.

But one of the officers was perplexed. The little girl in the back seat of her squad car, inquiring about snacks and stopping for sweets, was calm and bright-eyed despite her worry she was going to jail.

“She is fine. There is nothing wrong with her,” the officer tells her partner, video first obtained by the Florida Times-Union shows. “She’s been actually very pleasant.”

Her partner agrees. “I think it’s more of them just not knowing how to deal with it,” he says, appearing to describe the school.

Nadia moved through the system — from the school to the police to the mental institution, all without her mother’s consent — under a controversial Florida law known as the Baker Act. It allows law enforcement officers, school counselors and medical personnel to petition for someone who is perceived as being a danger to themselves or others to be institutionalized for 72 hours.

The recently released footage of Nadia has heightened the debate about the Baker Act and whether the law is allowing cases of overstepping that do more harm than good.

Nadia’s mother, Martina Falk, said she wasn’t notified about the incident until a third-party crisis intervention organization called her. The next 48 hours was a frightening ordeal for her special needs daughter, who found herself in a mental hospital sedated and confused. Now Nadia finds it hard to be around her doctors, Falk said.

“She used to trust our pediatrician, and now she doesn’t want to set foot in there,” Falk, 31, told The Washington Post on Sunday.

Reganel J. Reeves, an attorney for the family, said he plans to file lawsuits to learn more about how the state executes the law and how policies at Duval County Public Schools unfolded, saying it’s possible the application can be unconstitutional, especially for children.

Nadia has been diagnosed with ADHD and global developmental delay, which stalls cognitive and physical development, Falk said. She chose the school because of its special needs teaching, she said, along with an education plan that documented Nadia’s conditions.

The school itself did not decide to send Nadia to the hospital, Duval County Public Schools spokeswoman Laureen Ricks said in a statement. The school, fearing that Nadia was putting herself and others at risk, called a crisis hotline. A third party nonprofit, Child Guidance Center, dispatched a mental health professional, Ricks said.

That clinician from Child Guidance Center decided to send Nadia to the hospital under the Baker Act provision.

But it was not clear whether school officials considered other ways to resolve the incident, including calling Nadia’s mother or her physicians instead. Ricks declined to describe de-escalation tactics used with Nadia or whether her diagnoses were disclosed during an assessment by the clinical social worker from Child Guidance Center, citing privacy laws.

Ricks also declined to describe the specifics of Nadia’s alleged behavior. The police report uses secondhand information about “attacking staff,” relayed to the deputies by the social worker.

Falk disputed the urgency of the characterization and said the school had not relayed that information to her in their initial calls.

She also said Nadia plainly shows when she is as agitated as the school described — her daughter’s nose and eyes become red and welted. “But when the police were there, she was fine,” she said. What made Nadia truly upset, Falk said, was when she learned her mother wouldn’t be taking her home.

Child Guidance Center declined to describe its involvement, citing privacy laws, but Theresa Rulien, the chief executive and president, said in a statement the center has the ability to send someone only for an involuntary examination. The receiving facility determines the length of stay, she said.

The Baker Act has existed for nearly five decades, but it has been used more frequently in recent years, including 7,500 times with children since 2012, the Tampa Bay Times reported last year. There is little oversight by lawmakers, the Times investigation found, amid public outcry that the system speeds children into hospitals as guardians watch powerlessly from afar.

The law was meant to allow intervention in cases of imminent danger, said Mark Cavitt, the director of Pediatric Psychiatry Services at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.

But generally in the state, Cavitt told The Post, the law has become an increasingly common tool because of inadequate training or resources for mental health inside the school system.

“It always mystifies me when it’s used for disruptive behavior,” Cavitt said of the Baker Act.

It can also be used by schools to offload their liability for a student to a third party, Cavitt said. But it can also cut the other way, illuminating unevenness in the application; the Parkland gunman was not detained under the law despite concerns from school officials a year before the 2018 massacre, The Post previously reported.

Nadia has been moved to a temporary school for children with autism, said Falk, who was left shaken watching her daughter in the body camera footage.

At one point in the video, the officer tries to put a bright spin on where they are headed. It’s a field trip, the officer tells Nadia.

“We’re going on a field trip?” Nadia asks, excited about the prospect.

16 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Reactions to poor classroom behaviour and mental illness are skewed heavily against black kids. They're far more likely to be seen as disruptive or a threat than white counterparts.

Unless I am mistaken, there is not a single reference to what you said, her race or race of her mother in the article quoted. If you didn't see at the beginning of the video she was black, you wouldn't even know it from the article.

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what point you're making?

The article is about how some piece of legislation in Florida, relating to mental health, can easily be applied in a way to do more harm than good, it can even apply to small children, as in the very recent case described here. At no point is racist motivation or even race angle even alleged. The title of the thread is racism.

Just now, SasaS said:

The article is about how some piece of legislation in Florida, relating to mental health, can easily be applied in a way to do more harm than good, it can even apply to small children, as in the very recent case described here. At no point is racist motivation or even race angle even alleged. The title of the thread is racism.

Fair enough, if you can't see why it was worth highlighting it in this thread then I'm not sure what to say to you. 

Not much "gray" area in this one:

When a person gets called up to a float at a Mardi Gras parade, it's usually a sign they're about to get something special -- what seasoned paradegoers might call a "good throw."

But what one young girl at the Krewe of Nereids parade Sunday in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, got instead was something disturbing.
Nicole Fairconeture and her family gathered in front of their usual spot along the highway Sunday to watch the annual parade. As per family tradition, music was blasting, food was being served and family members were lined up to catch throws.
At one point during the parade, Fairconeture said a white man called her 12-year-old daughter up to a black float decorated with New Orleans Saints jerseys. The man said he had something for the girl, and handed her an item. Without looking too closely at what she had been handed, she started to run back across the road when the man called out to her again.

"That's you," Fairconeture said he told her daughter.
    The young girl looked down at the item. It was a stuffed black doll dressed in a red and white gown and an apron -- also known as a Mammy doll, a caricature that perpetuates offensive stereotypes about African Americans.
    Beads hung around the doll's neck in the shape of a noose.
    "She hung it from her finger and she felt degraded. She felt attacked. She didn't even want to stay at the parade. She was ready to go," Fairconeture told CNN.
    The incident left Fairconeture speechless. And when she asked her daughter whether she was OK, all the girl could say was, "Why me, Mom? Why me?"