You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I don't buy that mate.

Whenever I've called a call centre, I've forgotten the name of the person I'm talking to within a few seconds no matter what it is.

If the company adopts the services of a foreign call centre I would have thought certain criteria and practices could be insisted on as part of the contract.

You wouldn't forget Thunderlips though 

14 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I don't buy that mate.

Whenever I've called a call centre, I've forgotten the name of the person I'm talking to within a few seconds no matter what it is.

If the company adopts the services of a foreign call centre I would have thought certain criteria and practices could be insisted on as part of the contract.

I’ve worked on outsourcing of call centres and that’s what happens.  They give English names, make sure the workers know what the weather is like on that day over here.  It’s supposed to increase empathy.  At one point they even ‘recommended’ staff watched British TV.  The outsourcer just wants cheap phone jockeys.  

27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve worked on outsourcing of call centres and that’s what happens.  They give English names, make sure the workers know what the weather is like on that day over here.  It’s supposed to increase empathy.  At one point they even ‘recommended’ staff watched British TV.  The outsourcer just wants cheap phone jockeys.  

I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't make it right.

I don't want idle chit chat about the weather or empathy, I want them to deal with my query.

I agree with the outsourcer bit though.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, A Red said:

The problem with giving indian eg, call workers anglicised names is it winds people (me) up. They're lying before they've started.

"Hello, how are you this morning, my name is Steven..." 

"No it isn't."

I've got to admit, I've never really thought about it, but it's got to be a bit demeaning to say to someone "you can have a job but you can't use your real name, because you'll be working in a society where we expect a lot of people to be hostile to Indians". It's a shitty system.

Respect to Harry's Grandlad.

• Upvote 1

A girl in my lad’s sixth form has accused him of being racist because he corrected her when she said R&B stands for Rap and Ballad. 

Nope. Me neither. 

Then this girl’s friend gegged in and accused my boy, his girlfriend and some of their mates of being homophobic because they stayed behind at school one day, ordered a Chinese and didn’t buy any for these two gay girls. 

I’ve grounded him. Hateful little cunt. 

17 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

A girl in my lad’s sixth form has accused him of being racist because he corrected her when she said R&B stands for Rap and Ballad. 

Nope. Me neither. 

Then this girl’s friend gegged in and accused my boy, his girlfriend and some of their mates of being homophobic because they stayed behind at school one day, ordered a Chinese and didn’t buy any for these two gay girls. 

I’ve grounded him. Hateful little cunt. 

Are you quite sure you haven't sent your lad to the local nobheads' school?

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Are you quite sure you haven't sent your lad to the local nobheads' school?

When he first started there it was actually ranked by Ofsted in the top 5% of state schools in the country. It’s certainly not anymore. I like to wind him up by telling him he’s singlehandedly fucked it. 

Schools are very different places now of course but there’s always gonna be kids that are knobheads. I was one when I could be arsed going in. 

It’s crap really. He’s a high achieving, popular, really nice kid but one teenage girl, who I’m assuming felt a bit embarrassed about the R&B thing, has decided to play the race card and instantly made him feel like shit. He said she started shouting “why are you bringing race into it” when he’d said absolutely nothing of the sort. 

I told him to tell her to fuck off. He won’t, but he should. 

Most kids these days are much more tolerant. There’s loads of trans kids in the school for example, and nobody bats an eyelid. It’s totally normal now. There are also gay kids that are seemingly over sensitive about takeaway food. 

He’s got his theory test tonight. Could have done without the distraction but this stuff will probably carry over into today. Hard to legislate for teenage girls being hormonal drama queens. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

When he first started there it was actually ranked by Ofsted in the top 5% of state schools in the country. It’s certainly not anymore. I like to wind him up by telling him he’s singlehandedly fucked it. 

Schools are very different places now of course but there’s always gonna be kids that are knobheads. I was one when I could be arsed going in. 

It’s crap really. He’s a high achieving, popular, really nice kid but one teenage girl, who I’m assuming felt a bit embarrassed about the R&B thing, has decided to play the race card and instantly made him feel like shit. He said she started shouting “why are you bringing race into it” when he’d said absolutely nothing of the sort. 

Most kids these days are much more tolerant. There’s loads of trans kids in the school for example, and nobody bats an eyelid. It’s totally normal now. There are also gay kids that are seemingly over sensitive about takeaway food. 

He’s got his theory test tonight. Could have done without the distraction but this stuff will probably carry over into today. Hard to legislate for teenage girls being hormonal drama queens. 

Not just teenage girls these days, the simplest most innocuous thing gets blown out of all proportion.

It's one thing for society to be more inclusive, which is good, but quite another for the over the top responses some make for the slightest thing they don't like and the shite they fling at the poor sod who said it.

It doesn't help their cause at all.

39 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Thank fuck I went to an all boys school. Seriously though the moment someone uses the words racist, homophobic or transphobic  people shit themselves. Feel sorry for your lad .

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I don't buy that mate.

Its quite common for UK to open call centres abroad. Cape Town has some of the biggest ones supporting UK companies. I dont believe they have to use names that are not their own tho'. Apparently one of the reasons C. Town was chosen was because the agent could be understood by UK customers.

16 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Thank fuck I went to an all boys school. Seriously though the moment someone uses the words racist, homophobic or transphobic  people shit themselves. Feel sorry for your lad .

He’ll be fine. Everyone knows he’s not that kind of lad. Tough gig for the teachers trying to navigate through stuff like this though. 

12 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Its quite common for UK to open call centres abroad. Cape Town has some of the biggest ones supporting UK companies. I dont believe they have to use names that are not their own tho'. Apparently one of the reasons C. Town was chosen was because the agent could be understood by UK customers.

There's no problem with call centres abroad, but the people who work there should be treated with respect and dignity, not forced to say there name is something it isn't, or look at UK weather reports or watch UK telly to be able to engage with UK callers. Why should they have to do this.

My lad and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.

It's demeaning and wrong.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

There's no problem with call centres abroad, but the people who work there should be treated with respect and dignity, not forced to say there name is something it isn't, or look at UK weather reports or watch UK telly to be able to engage with UK callers. Why should they have to do this.

My lad and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.

It's demeaning and wrong.

Yeah agreed its wrong just put people behind the desk who can articulate clearly.

19 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

You think that makes you sound clever?  Fucking hell. 

Anyway, there’s a book called Jews Don’t Count, it highlights that racism towards Jews is often tolerated or ignored.  There, you’ve learned something. 

You really are pathetic with your comments, you really are.

You asked me a question why did I red arrow your comment. I explained I had guests so could only give a quick reply asking if you agreed with the guardian's piece. You came back with another pathetic insult, like you did in the Energy supplier's thread, and asked whether someone was operating on my brain.

In response to your pathetic comment, I explained or thought I had, that I consider all lives important and irrespective of race, colour or religion, a life taken early is a tragedy.

And you respond with yet another childish comment. Still, it is just the internet, isnt it?

Yes, Im very aware of Baddiel's book. Have you bothered to read it, just asking?

All you have taught me is that you have one of the most condescending attitudes Ive come across.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You really are pathetic with your comments, you really are.

You asked me a question why did I red arrow your comment. I explained I had guests so could only give a quick reply asking if you agreed with the guardian's piece. You came back with another pathetic insult, like you did in the Energy supplier's thread, and asked whether someone was operating on my brain.

In response to your pathetic comment, I explained or thought I had, that I consider all lives important and irrespective of race, colour or religion, a life taken early is a tragedy.

And you respond with yet another childish comment. Still, it is just the internet, isnt it?

Yes, Im very aware of Baddiel's book. Have you bothered to read it, just asking?

All you have taught me is that you have one of the most condescending attitudes Ive come across.

Thanks. I put a lot of effort in. 

I’ve really no idea what you are on about, Stronts posted a letter from the Metro. I responded with the title of a book, a book which explains why this type of shit somehow by-passes normal racism rules.  A book you claim knowledge of now.  You begged that and I asked why and you posted some balls about everyone counting. You either missed the point or well, I don’t know.  No one mentioned the Guardian at all.  

I’ve read the book, it’s very good. Hence why I mentioned it in the first place.