You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That Mings tweet is amazing. Spot on and straight at it's intended recipient. No hidden meanings. Just, bang, have that. 

I might be being overly optimistic but it feels like something might have changed a little bit after last night. I think we're just days away from Conor Coady tweeting Patel and calling her a "pyar racist munchkin."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That Mings tweet is amazing. Spot on and straight at it's intended recipient. No hidden meanings. Just, bang, have that. 

I might be being overly optimistic but it feels like something might have changed a little bit after last night. I think we're just days away from Conor Coady tweeting Patel and calling her a "pyar racist munchkin."

The vile fucking bitch ‘declined to comment’ on Mings tweet. 

A genuine show of support is needed, not disingenuous statements from Government saying the racist attacks are 'shocking' or 'vile', they are so out of touch and such liars nobody believes them.

Prince William made a statement yesterday condemning the racist attacks being endured by Rashford, Sancho and Saka, rightly so, but words are not enough.

It will never happen and this will probably get laughed out on here, but what a statement it would make if he, the President of the FA and future King of the country walked onto the pitch at the next England match and took the knee with the players showing absolute solidarity with the cause.

The Monarchy is an outdated, aloof and irrelevant institution that themselves have been accused of racism but something has to be done and that one single, simple act would be massive. 

Like I said, it will never happen, the worry of him being booed would see to that, but at least the cause would have a very high profile figurehead if he did.

I find the idea of banning anonymity online as a poor one aswell as private companies given the power of censorship. We cant allow the cunts in society dictate the paths we travel. An unscrupulous government would be delighted with the calls for online anonymity to be removed, more power and more control, they would probably actively promote division so we call for the very restrictions they otherwise wouldn't be able to force upon us.

I hate twitter, its format but more how it's selectively used to create a far bigger drama than the actual reality.  Weird thing is the racists put the spotlights on themselves and are often caught by other users and face the consequences of their actions.

Having these media shows and papers taking a moral highroad against social media with the daily propaganda bullshit they feed us everyday is astounding. If youre going to call out twitter on your morning TV show, call out the daily mail when it lies or is scaremongering because protecting the sanctity of "the freedom of the press" shouldnt cover blatent lies from partisan media groups if it doesn't cover anybody else being allowed to spew bollocks. Dont fight for censorship of one format but then fight to defend the freedoms of another.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think it would be a dangerous precedent if royals started being as overtly political as that. 

Arguably. 

It would certainly be a massively hypocritical bit of whitewashing on the part of an institution that owes its existence to the idea that people are not born with equal rights and dignity.

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Arguably. 

It would certainly be a massively hypocritical bit of whitewashing on the part of an institution that owes its existence to the idea that people are not born with equal rights and dignity.

Thats a fair point.

On the other hand coming from an institution that in past times for example didnt hide its admiration for Nazism it would be a pretty powerful statement.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the Black Lives Matter movement is about more than being "against racism" (!)

You might think that, but I am going off what the players have said about taking the knee and I'm OK with it. If you feel there is a better way to protest effectively, without seeming to align to the implied intentions of BLM, I'm sure they would be all ears.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Arguably. 

Your post is correct.

I don't like the royals, they are a ridiculous institution that has leeched off the people for a thousand years or more, parasites every one of them, but I think this current crop of younger royals are realising that they need to modernise or face an uncertain future with more and more people questioning their relevance in today's society.

I don't think setting a positive example in the anti racism cause is a political one. It's about doing what is right and he has the position and standing to do that to make people take notice.

25 minutes ago, redinblack said:

You might think that, but I am going off what the players have said about taking the knee and I'm OK with it. If you feel there is a better way to protest effectively, without seeming to align to the implied intentions of BLM, I'm sure they would be all ears.

I'm perfectly okay with it too, more power to them, but as private individuals they don't need to worry about potential associations with political movements like BLM.

54 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the Black Lives Matter movement is about more than being "against racism" (!)

I think you're parroting the narrative of the far right by making that leap from taking the knee in support for black rights (which is what footballers are doing), to proclaiming support for the things, besides black rights, that various individuals and organisations that have co-opted the slogan 'Black Lives Matters' are fighting for or against.

If you're taking the knee as a gesture of support for the belief that, ya know, black lives matter, then that's no more political than wearing a poppy because you're expressing support for British army veterans and remembering those who died in action fighting for Britain. In fact, I would argue the latter is more political.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I think you're parroting the narrative of the far right by making that leap from taking the knee in support for black rights (which is what footballers are doing), to proclaiming support for the things, besides black rights, that various individuals and organisations that have co-opted the slogan 'Black Lives Matters' are fighting for or against.

If you're taking the knee as a gesture of support for the belief that, ya know, black lives matter, then that's no more political than wearing a poppy because you're expressing support for British army veterans and remembering those who died in action fighting for Britain. In fact, I would argue the latter is more political.

Don't take the bait.

2 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I'm not parroting anything though, because I'm not accusing anyone of being aligned with the organisation that calls itself Black Lives Matter. Nevertheless, there is no getting away from the fact that taking the knee is indelibly associated with that movement. Indeed, much as poppies are indelibly associated with the British Legion, which is one of the numerous reasons that so many of us don't wear them.