You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

well where did you get all these stories from - are you some fucking super sleuth ? 

The negatives never get the headlines they should for the masses and the spin always gets rammed down peoples throats. You are being a complete tory cunt, your mask has slipped. As for 'Sleuth' when you joined the MF knew more about you than you probably do within about 4 hours. I'll be honest, you've been a generally sound and welcome poster (What right have I got to say that on a public forum? None but nevertheless thats my opinion) but your mask has slipped. You are either being purposely obtrusive for a rise or you are a typical daily mail shagging skid-mark of a galloping fucking wildebeest with a cock in his ear wishing it was up his arse as long as its white and hates the working class. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Regardless of who is favoured by the press or otherwise I do think Kurtz has a point insofar as people are well aware of what Johnson is yet seem not to care anyway.

It's called spin. The masses read tag-lines not detail. "Boris has shagged a slag and given her 100k in tax-payers money" "BORIS SAYS LETS GET ON WITH IT AND GET BREXIT DONE!"

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

But it was on the front page, that's the point. Re Marr, I think people in glass houses don't throw stones.

I am not defending Johnson by any means, I'm trying (and obviously failing) to have a grown up conversation about about why he is successful as a politician despite his many flaws. I don't buy the narrative of the thick gullible proles being duped by a compliant press, I think its much more subtle and nuanced. He is a populist non pc politician whose success is in part a reaction to the cultural war that is happening in this country. Oh and obviously I'm a tory cunt. 

He's a successful politician because he can dodge questions and throw out taglines that suit the murdoch media. 

If they are still talking about his affair and tax payers money in 1/2/3/6/12/18/25/36 months time, irrespective of the subject he wishes to talk about, then I will say he gets similar treatment. However, if he says nothing to see here move on and the media all move on, then I won't.

Abbot got some numbers wrong in 2017 and it is still mentioned/used as an attack virtually every time she is on or talked about. Not so much when Tories get numbers wrong, so much so I know it has happened but can't think of the Conservative people who have done exactly the same, because it gets a little bit of publicity (see we treat everyone the same) and is never mentioned again.

That is the difference is coverage, positive reinforcement of negatives when it suits and laughing off similar negatives when it doesn't.

Hahaha "Steeve" The local elections letter came through last week for people who can't vote on the day and my bird rang them up and pointed out that the email address is wrong. "oh erm ahh clerical error" a weeks gone and no letter since with the correction. A mistake? I think not. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

My point is he doesn’t get an easy ride from the press but the public don’t care. Look at all the stories that are currently on this thread, the flat, the affair, the £125k, the novel. This has all been extensively reported by the press. I think the public support of Johnson despite the press is similar to Brexit, a protest by the public against being told what to say and think by the liberal left elite. Johnson for all his many many faults, pretty much does and says what he wants, always has done and is successful at the polls.  This is what drives the liberal elite crazy, he’s not taking any notice of their agenda but will be in power for years and hence the view on here that the electorate must be gullible and thick. 

I know that's your point, but it's wrong.

Where is the proportionate coverage of the multiple Governmental failures that have led to one of the highest death-rates in the world?

Why did it take the Good Law Project suing the Government before the press admitted that we are being ripped off? (And why do they use the naughty-schoolboy word "chumocracy" - so in keeping with the Boris brand - rather than the more accurate word "corruption"?)

Why was Corbyn hounded relentlessly over any connection, however tenuous, to allegations of anti-Semitism, while Johnson laughs off his open racism by giving the press tea and biscuits?

Why is Peter Stefanovic on Twitter having to circulate repeated instances of Johnson lying to Parliament, while the press just normalise his dishonesty?

As for the myth of Brexit being a popular revolt against being told what to think, how does that square with 51.9% of the electorate voting exactly the way that all the best-selling newspapers told them to?

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Regardless of who is favoured by the press or otherwise I do think Kurtz has a point insofar as people are well aware of what Johnson is yet seem not to care anyway.

Loads think it's cool that he's a shagger and he has funny hair and talks all funny and that. They see headlines or listen to 20 second snippets of stuff. Detail and context are boring, plus most people have to work about 17 hours a day anyway so haven't got time to find out what an utterly hateful fucking cunt he really is. Stories about him having 23 kids seem to play well, so they're in the press. Regularly listing his many racist comments or detailing the public money he's syphoning off for his mates don't play well, so they're just in the odd Guardian article.

And of course, they're told the opposition are racist, Stalinist peadophiles that want to behead the queen's corgis.

I always assumed the media in the US was worse, but the coverage of the last election there suggests that we do genuinely have the worst media in the developed/western world. It's owned by a half a dozen tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcaster with Stockholm syndrome. Sadly, all the alternative stuff is fucking rubbish as well. People quacking on about the recycling habits of Venezuelan transexuals.

Fuck knows what the answer is, but you can see why people try to live their lives outside it as much as possible.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

The Government reaction to Covid has been the subject to acres of coverage, daily press briefings etc. I think the public are bored with it and the media have reined back accordingly. Another headline about PPE isn't going to sell newspapers. 

WOW

Johnson has a certain charismatic quality that makes some people root for him and be more forgiving on the superficial emotional level, something Cameron or May didn't have at all. That's why they call him Boris. Most people are superficial and increasingly tend to approach politics from an emotional standpoint. This makes it easer to "sell" him or harder to bring him done, so it often looks like some hugely elaborate media operation when in reality, it is probably the same support or opposition like with his predecessors.    

I don't owe you or anyone answers to anything.

However I answered your question about Boris Johnson's novel, once you phrased it in a way that could be answered.

I've already answered your question about Corbyn about four times over the years. Never again.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't owe you or anyone answers to anything.

However I answered your question about Boris Johnson's novel, once you phrased it in a way that could be answered.

I've already answered your question about Corbyn about four times over the years. Never again.

Stop chatting shit. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Johnson has a certain charismatic quality that makes some people root for him and be more forgiving on the superficial emotional level, something Cameron or May didn't have at all. That's why they call him Boris. Most people are superficial and increasingly tend to approach politics from an emotional standpoint. This makes it easer to "sell" him or harder to bring him done, so it often looks like some hugely elaborate media operation when in reality, it is probably the same support or opposition like with his predecessors.    

He's a scam artist, the latest in a long list of half-witted toffs who steal a living while hoodwinking the common Brit.

He's no different from the Colonel with the twirly moustache and fondness for gin who'd tour your trench and call you a good egg before sending you over the top to your death, because he had neither the brains nor the patience to concoct a proper battle plan.

Said it loads or times, but the people who run this country have always been skilled in PR. That's why the Queen wanders around with a scarf on her head and a pair of wellies so she looks like a little old lady, then when she closes the door she's in an actual Palace or a castle, meanwhile your own nan is sat in her own piss because her carers have had their hours cut. Seeing the way the Russian and French royal families ended up made them wise to this shit, the whacky eccentric shtick is how they get away with it.

By all accounts Johnson messes his own hair up before going on camera, and pretends he's misheard questions from journos to throw them off their stride. He's playing a character. We're idiots for falling for it.

• Upvote 2