You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real racism is offensive and unnecessary

Joking about race is amusing and is ok in my eyes. As is joking about gays, bad women drivers, gingers, welsh sheep shaggers, thieving scousers, paedos, dumb irish, whatever.

The fact is that if its meant as a joke, is teasing the stereotype and is not trying to be outright offensive then that's ok IMO.

Also, If you're prepared to joke about it you must be prepared to let people joke back at you about it without taking offence. There are way too many precious souls in the world these days. These people need to get a grip.

Gingers make shit slaves as they can't work outdoors in daylight.

Can you imagine if the Egyptians or American cotton plantation owners used ginger slaves?

We'd have pyramids about 4 feet tall and it would have taken a year to pick enough cotton for a T-shirt.

Feisty little fuckers as well. More trouble than they're worth.

Can you imagine if the Egyptians or American cotton plantation owners used ginger slaves?

We'd have pyramids about 4 feet tall and it would have taken a year to pick enough cotton for a T-shirt.

But think of all the Olympic Gold medals Ireland would have now!

The Mississipi Delta music would have had a lot more references to sun-stroke and "the man" witholding the lotion too. Which it's hard to see as an improvement.

Oh really.

This is the color black:

200px-Solid_black.svg.png

Show me a person who looks like this.

The word "black" in the context "race" (wrong term) is a signifier with a plethora of discourses and meanings attached. This matter is, pardon me, not black or white.

Well considering I've been living with a black girl for almost 3 years now, I know what she calls herself, I know what she calls her black friends and I know what description she give black people when referring to them as a group.

She is proud to be black, why would anyone who see black people as equal to white people take offense of being called black?

Well considering I've been living with a black girl for almost 3 years now, I know what she calls herself, I know what she calls her black friends and I know what description she give black people when referring to them as a group.

She is proud to be black, why would anyone who see black people as equal to white people take offense of being called black?

Whoa there! Equal?! Nobody said anything about equal. They're alright like but equal is pushing it a bit.

Kids in our street once said 'let's throw snowballs at the paki's' (meaning me), well I'm white but with a tan clearly don't look it. I think racism is all down to personal experience, if you're lucky enough to have not witnessed the venom and hatred that generally accompanies it first hand then I'm not surprised people don't really see or understand how much of a cancer it really is. Too many people are ignorant to how it affects millions of people daily, to be persecuted, physically and mentally abused because of your skin colour and nothing more, as I say fortunately many will never know what that feels like and I imagine many have never bothered to really think about what it might feel like either.

Well considering I've been living with a black girl for almost 3 years now

Really? You've never mentioned that before. I suppose that makes you the definitive voice on racial equality for Scandanavia, nay, the World. Respect.

Indeed.

In fact, I demand the club rips up Glenn Johnson's contract and makes him play for nothing.

In fact, they should make him walk onto the pitch in chains, only removing them moments before kick-off.

That might be a bit much but I certainly don't think he's above prodding a rake here and there for 15 minutes at half time.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

Kids in our street once said 'let's throw snowballs at the paki's' (meaning me), well I'm white but with a tan clearly don't look it. I think racism is all down to personal experience, if you're lucky enough to have not witnessed the venom and hatred that generally accompanies it first hand then I'm not surprised people don't really see or understand how much of a cancer it really is. Too many people are ignorant to how it affects millions of people daily, to be persecuted, physically and mentally abused because of your skin colour and nothing more, as I say fortunately many will never know what that feels like and I imagine many have never bothered to really think about what it might feel like either.

Are you sure it wasn't just because you stink?

It's a problem anyone that stands out faces. Gingers get it, small kids get it, tall people, fat people, poor people, rich people. I still don't see how racism is different to any of that.

The idea tha you can "combat" racism leaves me a little ponderous. The need to form groups is at the very core of our being, and the need to protect those in our group and alienate those outside of it. Add in the fact that our genes are programmed to have us be protective of the genes that make us (and recognise that a person of the same colour is more likely to share those same genes) and you have a problem that isn't going to go away very soon.

There's a reason that black people can recognise and store black faces better than I can and it isn't societal, it's genetic.

Al's been hoist by his own petard it looks like. If you will go showing off your boss off-spin down the park then don't be surprised if people call you a Paki.