You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This quality of debate on this site has gone down the shitter compared to when I first joined.

This thread is a new low. Don't understand why people are offended by racism? Slavery' date=' discrimination and continued barriers to social progress not enough then?

Strewth.[/quote']

What is racism?

I personally don't think the authorities should be involved in race relations, I think it causes resentment when it comes to things like positive discrimination and so-called political correctness. Very often the people pulling the strings are white and middle class anyway, beurocrat policy makers.

I remember receiving a talk once from the Home Office in uni about job prospects, the guy was black and at the end he said 'there's an employment stream which is only open to ethnic minorities, so I'd like to ask all non-ethnic minorities to leave the room'. My mate still rages about it to this day and he's the least racist person, or argumentative or generally 'arsed' person you'll ever meet.

The best way to combat racism is to break down the barriers between people. This generation of young people is 10 times more open minded about these things than we were. If you go on a night out these days and see a group of 18-20 year olds, there'll be all sorts of people there, black, white, asian, male, female, gay, straight. All of them in Doug Willis shirts, but still. Anyone over 25 is probably with a group of five white lads - all drinking pints, all with their backs to everyone.

I don't know why things have changed, I think much of it is down to the way Labour opened up college and university education - maybe young people get the chance to meet other types of people much more than they used to, and if that keeps up society will more or less eradicate racism over time.

This quality of debate on this site has gone down the shitter compared to when I first joined.

This thread is a new low. Don't understand why people are offended by racism? Slavery' date=' discrimination and continued barriers to social progress not enough then?[/b']

Strewth.

Ah shit, you mean i'm guilty of the above because i'm white? By those standards i'm also guilty of every other crime under the sun. I'm not prepared to take on the shit of my family who are alive now, i'm certainly not going to be held accountable for atrocities that may have been committed by them generations before i was born.

Discrimination takes place in every walk of life, life's hard, get on with it.

Social barriers are put up by those who are ignorant, if someone can't see past a persons skin, gender, disability, sexuality then it needs to be addressed but faux moral outrage isn't exactly getting society very far is it?

(unless i've totally missed your point?)

Its not discremination to call a black person black, its stating a fact.

Oh really.

This is the color black:

200px-Solid_black.svg.png

Show me a person who looks like this.

The word "black" in the context "race" (wrong term) is a signifier with a plethora of discourses and meanings attached. This matter is, pardon me, not black or white.

Oh really.

This is the color black:

The word "black" in the context "race" (wrong term) is a signifier with a plethora of discourses and meanings attached. This matter is, pardon me, not black or white.

A good tip is to print one of these off and carry it around with you. If you meet a person of a certain ethnicity and are worried about offending them, fear not!

Whip out this helpful colour guide, hold it to their face and voila! You'll be smoking reefers and doing complicated handshakes with your new 'brother' in no time.

vinylspotcolour.jpg

Oh really.

This is the color black:

Heres the problem though,I,like Mr Hansen still often call black people coloured and I'm not ashamed of it and dont believe I am doing anything wrong as Im just stating a fact.

If i was called Bill,Im not but anyway and im with another guy whose not white like me why is it wrong to point out that hes not me because hes black or coloured. If somebody said 'wheres that coloured or black b*stard?' then thats racist as its an insult purely based on skin colour.

My kids went to uni and both of my lads had a close friend who was asian while i have no asian friends and only know 1 or 2 black lads as aquaintances so feel there has been progress over the last 20 years or so.

With us oldies not really mixing outside our own ethnic groups,although my dad had had a black friend who died last year and knew him from about 10 years of age and they were both mid 70s when he died,but unfortunately thats a rarity.

Strangely enough my nan,my dads mum who wouldnt harm or wish violence on anybody still used the N word without blinking an eyelid.

Things have changed for the better though.

Oh really.

This is the color black:

I think someone touched on this earlier, in terms of awkward PC morons using every distinguishing feature "glasses", "haircut" etc, apart from "black".

Which is fucking absurd

I think someone touched on this earlier, in terms of awkward PC morons using every distinguishing feature "glasses", "haircut" etc, apart from "black".

Which is fucking absurd

I agree about the absurdity. My issue was with the FACT! part. Its not a fact that anyone is black, white or whatever. It requires a high level of abstraction and knowledge of social pragmatism to be able to group people in these categories. It is basically fine and useful for daily life usage, but it is still arbitrary to think in either - or (black - white) categories.

I just don't give a fuck about racism, that's all. There are much worse things going on in the world. We don't have slavery any more, and frankly if the biggest issue facing the ethnic community of great britain is largely just a bit of name calling, or even just a "how can we refer to that group of people without some twat screaming racism" then I for one don't really give a shit.

This thread is a new low. Don't understand why people are offended by racism? Slavery' date=' discrimination and continued barriers to social progress not enough then?

Strewth.[/quote']

and with your 450 posts you have really tried hard to turn things around haven't you?

Slavery? What the fuck are you talking about? Slavery was a piece of piss if you compare it to what the good white folk of England had to endure under the vikings.

I agree about the absurdity. My issue was with the FACT! part. Its not a fact that anyone is black, white or whatever. It requires a high level of abstraction and knowledge of social pragmatism to be able to group people in these categories. It is basically fine and useful for daily life usage, but it is still arbitrary to think in either - or (black - white) categories.

I love it when people who aren't very bright try and appear to be very bright.