You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"they" who are "they" Strontz? 

Nobody is invalidating the genuine things he says about anti-semitism. At all. Highlighting that he's a racist twat isn't invalidating anti-semitism. 

Here lies the problem. This labelling of people as racists without reproach. 

He’s not a racist. He made a racist sketch over 20 years ago. Has acknowledged this. Apologised. That does not make him

Racist. It makes him wrong. If he had continued that sort of behaviour, then yes he would be a racist. Baddiel isn’t a racist.

People are allowed to make mistakes and move on, because people aren’t the same as they were 20 years ago. 

People need to be pulling him

about how much of unfunny cunt he was. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

He’s not a racist. He made a racist sketch over 20 years ago. Has acknowledged this. Apologised. That does not make him

Racist. It makes him wrong. If he had continued that sort of behaviour, then yes he would be a racist. Baddiel isn’t a racist.

People are allowed to make mistakes and move on, because people aren’t the same as they were 20 years ago. 

Fair enough. I think the guy is a prize prick and a hypocrite. I also think he's a liar. 

Corbyn has been labelled an anti-semite with zero actual evidence of anti-semitism? 

And yes, he was and is a very unfunny cunt. 

On 22/11/2021 at 13:27, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Try it via Twitter.

The only Green Jackets I remember were the lads and girls from Paddington Comp who became a bit of an urban myth in the 70's supposedly coming to other schools in massive numbers and beating them up. A rumour they were coming to our school ( De La Salle  ) spread like wildfire one week and on the Friday they were due to arrive there was more hardware hidden in desks than in Jem DIY , I'm still not sure what exactly I thought I was going to do with a monkey wrench I could barely lift.

Unsurprisingy they were a no show and looking back it was obviously just racist tropes visited on a school with a large proportion of black students.

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The only Green Jackets I remember were the lads and girls from Paddington Comp who became a bit of an urban myth in the 70's supposedly coming to other schools in massive numbers and beating them up. A rumour they were coming to our school ( De La Salle  ) spread like wildfire one week and on the Friday they were due to arrive there was more hardware hidden in desks than in Jem DIY , I'm still not sure what exactly I thought I was going to do with a monkey wrench I could barely lift.

Unsurprisingy they were a no show and looking back it was obviously just racist tropes visited on a school with a large proportion of black students.

Yeah  i remember that rumour at the time , think I was in my final year and the Paddy Comp rumour was very strong. Wonder what bus they would have caught to DLS.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Are they operating on your brain? 

At least I have a brain, use it and have compassion.

I see all sorts of stuff on the forum. People are entitled to their view even if I disagree with some of them. I see regular stuff about young Palestinian lives lost and comments about the Israeli's.

A Palestinian life lost is a very sad thing in this divided world of ours. Equally, a young Israeli life lost is a very sad thing. Indeed as I posted elsewhere, a life taken too early is a very sad thing.

I dont see the same remorse here for a young Israeli life lost as I do for a young Palestinian one. That disturbs me for at least two reasons: One, it feeds the cycle of hate and two, as Ive said, life is precious and any taken early is a very sad thing.

Now, you were saying about brains?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

At least I have a brain, use it and have compassion.

I see all sorts of stuff on the forum. People are entitled to their view even if I disagree with some of them. I see regular stuff about young Palestinian lives lost and comments about the Israeli's.

A Palestinian life lost is a very sad thing in this divided world of ours. Equally, a young Israeli life lost is a very sad thing. Indeed as I posted elsewhere, a life taken too early is a very sad thing.

I dont see the same remorse here for a young Israeli life lost as I do for a young Palestinian one. That disturbs me for at least two reasons: One, it feeds the cycle of hate and two, as Ive said, life is precious and any taken early is a very sad thing.

Now, you were saying about brains?

You think that makes you sound clever?  Fucking hell. 

Anyway, there’s a book called Jews Don’t Count, it highlights that racism towards Jews is often tolerated or ignored.  There, you’ve learned something. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

They shouldn't be pulling him up on how funny/unfunny he is but how wrong he is. Jews do indeed count, and it benefits us all that they do but when you compere and make the case racism directed against them goes largely ignored, as Baddiel implies in a lot of his book his argument flounders. An example;  imagine the recent Windrush repatriations were conducted against Jews in this country? You think Jews wouldn't have received backing from the public and media of this country? Of course they would and rightly so, I'd wager they'd garner a good deal more media outrage than the poor souls shipped back to the Caribbean recently after settling I'm this country for over half a century. I agree Baddiels not racist, i agree he's an unfunny cunt, but Baddiels whole argument is built on sand. 

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

I lived in Waterloo till 1976 but had relatives in Litherland,Seaforth and Walton and there was much talk of what the Green Jackets would do to you if they got you, and I have a vague memory of some graffiti about them on Rawson Road......but I never met them, and nor did anyone I know...

My lad thinks he might be called into the office today because two of his bosses didn't like the fact that he thought that the company's position on something is wrong.

He works for a retail company and does IT. It's his job to help install new software systems and keep them running smoothly, identifying any problems that need fixing etc.

The company he works for operates call centres abroad and the operatives have to give English names instead of their own when speaking to UK customers and I don't know the exact problem, but it appears that this is causing identification glitches in the software. 

My lad thinks that this practice is wrong and demeaning for the people who work there. His position is why should someone have to do this to go to work in 2021, or indeed ever?, and the company shouldn't be pandering to the xenophobia or racism which is rooted across swathes of the British public.

He said if he does get  called in the office, he said he's going to record it on his phone informing them he is doing so and if they do bollock him, he's going to take it further.

Personally, I doubt it will happen because it would open a huge can of worms, but he's got a point which I think the company should look at.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My lad thinks he might be called into the office today because two of his bosses didn't like the fact that he thought that the company's position on something is wrong.

He works for a retail company and does IT. It's his job to help install new software systems and keep them running smoothly, identifying any problems that need fixing etc.

The company he works for operates call centres abroad and the operatives have to give English names instead of their own when speaking to UK customers and I don't know the exact problem, but it appears that this is causing identification glitches in the software. 

My lad thinks that this practice is wrong and demeaning for the people who work there. His position is why should someone have to do this to go to work in 2021, or indeed ever?, and the company shouldn't be pandering to the xenophobia or racism which is rooted across swathes of the British public.

He said if he does get  called in the office, he said he's going to record it on his phone informing them he is doing so and if they do bollock him, he's going to take it further.

Personally, I doubt it will happen because it would open a huge can of worms, but he's got a point which I think the company should look at.

I bet the call centre staff are employed

outside of the U.K. so there’s not much that can be done. The excuse will be that ‘foreign’ names are hard for English people to use.  Plus you could argue they aren’t being racist  if they are employing exclusively foreign workers.  

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

outside of the U.K. so there’s not much that can be done. The excuse will be that ‘foreign’ names are hard for English people to use.  Plus you could argue they aren’t being racist  if they are employing exclusively foreign workers.  

If I was skint and living in India I'd happily do it but I'd insist they let me be called Thunderlips. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I don't buy that mate.

Whenever I've called a call centre, I've forgotten the name of the person I'm talking to within a few seconds no matter what it is.

If the company adopts the services of a foreign call centre I would have thought certain criteria and practices could be insisted on as part of the contract.