You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He’s no better than the scum who abused him then. 

It will be interesting to see what the daily mail

gammons make of it though. I’m sure they’ll be saying “why’s this being brought up now” same as when it came out that people had been using the term p**i 

Gammons?

Grow up mate

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah. He’s made an absolute twat of himself no doubt about it. A sorry saga all round really

I think what it does do is allow the possibility of redemption for everyone.  A fulsome and heartfelt apology should be enough for Vaughn, Bumble and Rafiq to get on with their professional lives. 

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Righto, though it seems its offensive to some but not to others, mind you I wouldn't call an Indian a Paki, asking for it as when a Sikh friend of mine got called one he went bonkers, he was an angry ant mind, sadly died 2 days ago of a heart attack at 49. 

Could it be possible he went bonkers because some Sikhs and some Pakistani's don't get on at all, rather than him being offended by the racist connotations of the word itself?

I obviously didn't know your mate so sorry if wrong and sorry for his passing.

58 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I wouldn't call anyone a p**i. Best to err on the side of caution when it comes to blatant racism. 

Sorry to hear about your mate x 

To be honest I just see it as short for Pakistan but yes they can be racists like the time my brother in law, union man, had to represent a Sri Lankan  bus  driver as he was getting stick and being shunned at the workplace by the Indians who also sought his help and advice at times, I think it was something to with him  wing a Tamil or something, mad. 

Yeah 2nd one to go in a week, the grim reaper has been doing the rounds down here. 

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Could it be possible he went bonkers because some Sikhs and some Pakistani's don't get on at all, rather than him being offended by the racist connotations of the word itself?

Possibly, like the sorry situation I mentioned above about the bus drivers, I can't remember the outcome, he was a tiny fella and I felt sorry for him. 

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

Gammons?

Grow up mate

What's the problem with that? 

43 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

To be honest I just see it as short for Pakistan but yes they can be racists like the time my brother in law, union man, had to represent a Sri Lankan  bus  driver as he was getting stick and being shunned at the workplace by the Indians who also sought his help and advice at times, I think it was something to with him  wing a Tamil or something, mad. 

Yeah 2nd one to go in a week, the grim reaper has been doing the rounds down here. 

I've known since I was a very young kid that the term "p**i" is derogatory. I don't care for the this thats and maybes, it is a racist term. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Righto, though it seems its offensive to some but not to others, mind you I wouldn't call an Indian a Paki, asking for it as when a Sikh friend of mine got called one he went bonkers, he was an angry ant mind, sadly died 2 days ago of a heart attack at 49. 

It does appear that its not offensive to some Pakistanis. I think when you add something before or after it is offensive so better to be cautious. Sorry to hear about your mate. Lost some younger friends here through covid.

9 hours ago, easytoslip said:

"Just short for Pakistan"...

Leaving aside octogenarian recluses, if I heard of anyone in this country using that word I would know they were using it in a deliberately offensive manner. The term may have evolved from a shortened version of 'Pakistan' but it has long since evolved into a racist term. 

10 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Leaving aside octogenarian recluses, if I heard of anyone in this country using that word I would know they were using it in a deliberately offensive manner. The term may have evolved from a shortened version of 'Pakistan' but it has long since evolved into a racist term. 

Yes just short for Pakistan, I wonder who decided it was a racist term and when? 

Anyway I should of known better to comment and I'll stick to other threads where there's less lecturing on the rights and wrongs of it all, if it's alright for that crying cricketer you know when the cap fits and all that. 

Aussie twats. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yes, we don't like to be called a P*** because some of us don't get on with some Pakistanis.

Gnasher showing the same amount of forethought and intelligence on this thread as the EU one.

I'll tell my fellow Sikhs not to take it too seriously as we aren't all from Pakistan.

42 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Must be incredible to know all the time when a bloke using a certain word is being derogotary.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Must be incredible to know all the time when a bloke using a certain word is being derogotary.

The point is that we now know that its being used in derogatory terms nowadays unless you live on the moon. The correct term is 'Pakistani.' An extra syllable or two but doesnt have those connotations. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Yes, we don't like to be called a P*** because some of us don't get on with some Pakistanis.

Gnasher showing the same amount of forethought and intelligence on this thread as the EU one.

I'll tell my fellow Sikhs not to take it too seriously as we aren't all from Pakistan.

Er! not the point I was making though was it you jumped up right wing cretin?

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

No it wasnt. I thought the post was arrogant and he could have phrased it better. Maybe Im too sensitive.

I think you’re far too sensitive. There was nothing arrogant about what he said, in-fact he articulated the feeling around that word quite brilliantly. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

It's inherently racist. Like the N-bomb, it's a word coined by racists, for racists. This "it's short for Pakistan, so it's not really racist" bullshit belongs in the bin with "well, the rappers use that word all the time".

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Skend right wing???? Put the lid on the paint and go back to bed 

He's a fucking first class prick, I've fought racism all my life and not going to have some silly little cunt throw labels on me without a retort. 

As for him being right wing I take it you were willing to turn a blind eye to his defence of billionaire factory bosses who subjected workers at two sisters poultry factorys to low pay and atrocious working conditions? 

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He's a fucking first class prick, I've fought racism all my life 

I'm going to challenge you (in a comradely way) on this.

I've no doubt you've gone toe-to-toe with Fascists, but fighting racism is much more than that. What do you do to fight the embedded, institutionalised, normalised racism that exists in every corner of this country?