You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Me either, I thought she was a dude.

More importantly, why do you care what someone with 100 followers on Twitter said almost a decade ago?

The BBC is funded by the tax payer, having a pro-Hitler anti-semite on the tax-payers' payroll is a scandal.

I wonder where I've seen pro-Hitler, anti-semite on the tax-payers' payroll before?

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

More importantly, why do you care what someone with 100 followers on Twitter said almost a decade ago?

Because she's a journalist at the world's largest broadcast news organisation?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The BBC is funded by the tax payer, having a pro-Hitler anti-semite on the tax-payers' payroll is a scandal.

I wonder where I've seen pro-Hitler, anti-semite on the tax-payers' payroll before?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Because she's a journalist at the world's largest broadcast news organisation?

They (read you) found out about it a couple days ago. Pretty sure she won't be next week.

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/palestinian-bbc-journalist-tweeted-hitler-085900350.html

I mean, maybe there's some nuance I'm missing...

I'm not really one for sacking people or cancel culture but that was clearly worthy of the sack. 

I get she's Palestinian so that conflict is personal and close not just moral or politics but hates got the best of her and she shared it with the world in about the most offensive way you could with a few words. 

14 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This is a fair and valid point, not sure it justifies booing but it could be seen as offensive to the fans who feel they are being targeted. 

It's not a fair or valid point.

Taking the knee can't be seen as pointing the finger at fans.

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't give a toss what he meant. It's what he wrote that is the issue.

BBC still hasn't sacked its journalist who said "Hitler was right". This really is the last acceptable racism, isn't it.

Not sure there are any shades of grey in what the Google bloke said. Racist prick needs booting, irrespective of his job title. Same goes for anyone who says "Hitler was right" about the Jews.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of other forms of racism that are acceptable in the UK; for example, anti-Muslim racism is still bread and butter to tabloid headline writers and anti-GRT racism is official Government policy. 

I believe the whole football racism thing started with a small minority in the grounds originally and became a much bigger problem on social media when anyone sitting at a computer could write hate speech on twitter etc. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to think that the fans who are paying to be in the ground wouldn't like it still happening as it's probably not true fans who are being racists..

Racism in football lo-o-o-ong predates the internet and social media!

Another distinct possibility is the boo is not for the knee, but the racism that taking the knee is against? In other words, booing racism.

Nah. That's just not a possibility.  Apparently a decent section of the crowd were applauding; were they applauding racism?

14 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not really one for sacking people or cancel culture but that was clearly worthy of the sack. 

I get she's Palestinian so that conflict is personal and close not just moral or politics but hates got the best of her and she shared it with the world in about the most offensive way you could with a few words. 

If someone is so damaged by what they've been through that they're poisoned by bigotry and hatred, they're probably not best-suited to a job in journalism. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Just heard that 40 years was the maximum sentence. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's killed in prison in any case. There'll be a bounty on his head for sure.

Very much doubt he’ll go in with the general prison population. If he does he’s fucked. Doubt it will even be a price on his head, someone will want to make a name for himself and get revenge on the sick murdering cunt 

Just before sentencing Derek Chauvin to 22 and a half years, judge Cahill, known as a forthright and relatively brusque jurist, stated he had written a lengthy, 26 page sentencing memo to explain his thinking on the sentence, which is 10 years above the state guidance for second degree murder.

“What the sentence is not based on is emotion or sympathy, but at the same time I want to acknowledge the deep and tremendous pain families are feeling, especially the Floyd family,” Cahill told the court.

The document itself is filled with a lot legal reasoning, but the conclusion is worth reporting here as it’s a neat summary of Cahill’s thinking.

He writes:

“Part of the mission of the Minneapolis police department is to give citizens ‘voice and respect’. Here, Mr Chauvin, rather than pursuing the MPD mission, treated Mr Floyd without respect and denied him the dignity owed to all human beings and which he certainly would have extended to a friend or neighbor. In the court’s view, 270 months, which amounts to an additional 10 years over the presumptive 150 month sentence, is the appropriate sentence.”

Good for him.

8 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Just heard that 40 years was the maximum sentence. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's killed in prison in any case. There'll be a bounty on his head for sure.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Very much doubt he’ll go in with the general prison population. If he does he’s fucked. Doubt it will even be a price on his head, someone will want to make a name for himself and get revenge on the sick murdering cunt 

He’ll probably get looked after by the White Supremacist gangs.