You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Derek Chavin verdict due anytime

I saw closing arguments today, the judge went through how the jury should work out if the state have gone beyond reasonable doubt to demonstrate he is guilty on any of the charges. I'm not sure there will be a verdict that quick as they would have started deliberating after closing arguments, unless it's a simple deliberation. I don't think it will be though. 

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think he will probably be not guilty for the most serious charge and guilty on other two, 15-18 years, paroled after 6 or 7.

I get that feeling. I always thought from the beginning they’ll slice it down the middle and go for manslaughter. It’s wrong but you can see it happening.

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd be very surprised if they could prove second degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt, but IMO he is bang to rights on third degree murder. 

I'm inclined to agree, but it's possible based on the Judge's description to the jury that it's possible that intent to kill could evolve through the situation. So if the jury feel he didn't begin with the intention but gradually shifted towards it, he could be convicted on second degree. But all jurors would have to agree and that's a leap. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm inclined to agree, but it's possible based on the Judge's description to the jury that it's possible that intent to kill could evolve through the situation. So if the jury feel he didn't begin with the intention but gradually shifted towards it, he could be convicted on second degree. But all jurors would have to agree and that's a leap. 

You seemed to have followed it closely, do you feel the prosecution presented a strong enough case for the intent to kill, rather prior or during the sitution?

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You seemed to have followed it closely, do you feel the prosecution presented a strong enough case for the intent to kill, rather prior or during the sitution?

I think they did, most of the witnesses statements all pointed in the direction that he knew after 5 minutes that he had lost all fight and was no longer resisting. At that point people who were there were asking for a pulse to be checked but he kept on top of him. Even one of the other officers asked him to check for a pulse and he refused. The ambulance staff had to persuade him to come off. 

All the defence are claiming is that there were other factors that contributed to his death so it is unfair to say it was only because of the knee. Perhaps they're right, but all those other factors only increased as a result of the knee. 

There's enough there to convict second degree and the state demonstrated it but the defence may have placed a few seeds of doubt into the jury. They even used the same words the defence of Rodney King's killers used, word for word. Also multiple calls for a mistrial. Personally I got the sense the defence is worried he'll get nailed and are laying foundations for an appeal. 

I'll also add that the coroner stated that he ruled the death a homicide through asphyxiation as a result of neck compression rather than any of the other factors that allegedly played a part. 

34 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They even used the same words the defence of Rodney King's killers used, word for word. Also multiple calls for a mistrial. Personally I got the sense the defence is worried he'll get nailed and are laying foundations for an appeal. 

King drowned in his swimming pool.

t h

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

King drowned in his swimming pool.

It happens so easy, you're in your car a police officer grabs you by the scruff of the neck and chucks you 20 miles. Then you drown in the pool you land in. Not the police officer's fault he drowned, he just threw him there.