You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't think he can now - he made similar statements the day of the firing and once they decided to call him as a witness that prevented it.

Don't quite understand what does that have to do with anything I am talking about.  Do you think he was accountable for the state of his PD in several years up to the killing, at the time of the killing, for the police response in days following the killing?

For his Department. Yes - who else would?

It may interest you to do some more research on Minn. PD. Quite a saga.

Ironically - the previous Chief resigned after a black officer shot a white woman about 5 years ago. He was convicted.

She was the first female Chief in their history. Well, she really did not resign, the Mayor asked for her resignation.

A bit before that she presided over two white officers who killed a black fella, neither were charged.

Interestingly Arredondo had successfully sued the Department with a couple other black officers a few years before that for discrimination. 

BTW, you didn't answer the original question - resignations for only the "bad" killings?

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ironically - the previous Chief resigned after a black officer shot a white woman about 5 years ago. He was convicted.

She was the first female Chief in their history. Well, she really did not resign, the Mayor asked for her resignation.

A bit before that she presided over two white officers who killed a black fella, neither were charged.

Interestingly Arredondo had successfully sued the Department with a couple other black officers a few years before that for discrimination. 

BTW, you didn't answer the original question - resignations for only the "bad" killings?

'bad' killings suggests there are 'good' killings. 

40 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I didn't because I don't understand the question, its relevance. Should a police chief resign every time an officer from chief's PD kills someone, regardless of the circumstances?  Is that what you are asking?

I read quite a lot about MPD and history of race relations in Minneapolis in the days after the Floyd killing. That is why I was surprised to hear Arredondo is still the chief.

Surely the problem is all the times that the top police authorities (and often the police union) have supported the police officer who killed someone in questionable situations?

I rather want the ones who testify that their officer behaved illegally and sack them and testify against them to remain in the job. Because if they're replaced, there's a better-than-even chance they'll be replaced by a "circle the wagons" type who will defend anything and everything an officer did, no matter how terrible or racist.

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

This may or may not be true but the Mayor said publicly it was her own decision, according to her statement.

10 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Surely the problem is all the times that the top police authorities (and often the police union) have supported the police officer who killed someone in questionable situations?

I rather want the ones who testify that their officer behaved illegally and sack them and testify against them to remain in the job. Because if they're replaced, there's a better-than-even chance they'll be replaced by a "circle the wagons" type who will defend anything and everything an officer did, no matter how terrible or racist.

According to The Washington Post, the US Police unions are really strong and the contracts in place are so specific that it's often difficult to make a firing stick. As an example, an officer may need to be fired within 90 days of the infraction as written in a contract. An officer could be fired, go through legal system, cleared of infraction and rehired or else unfair dismissal charges. In the same scenario, the legal system could take more than 90 days and the officer can no longer be fired. 

There are cases in the US of police being fired twice for the same reason (even unions back down normally when an officer repeats an offense). Looks like a systemic problem from the outside looking in.

8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I see the club has had to put out another statement about racist abuse after Wednesday night. I cannot comprehend how you can be a supporter of a team that currently and has always had many BAME players and hold these ideas at the same time, its like doublethink from 1984. What's more, I cant understand the mentality of people who go on to social media and post this shit, what's the point ? It is utterly futile. 

This is obviously an old one but I always remember this and think of the mentality of the people involved;

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shaka-hislop-racist-abuse-newcastle-19423510

As Hislop filled up his car at the petrol station opposite St James' Park, he was racially abused but once the young perpetrators realised who the 6ft 4in sporting star was they suddenly started chanting his name in a positive sense and asking for autographs.

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

This is obviously an old one but I always remember this and think of the mentality of the people involved;

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shaka-hislop-racist-abuse-newcastle-19423510

As Hislop filled up his car at the petrol station opposite St James' Park, he was racially abused but once the young perpetrators realised who the 6ft 4in sporting star was they suddenly started chanting his name in a positive sense and asking for autographs.

"Sorry Leo, I thought you was black."

"I am black..."

"Yeah, but you're one of our blacks."

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That was brilliant that show.

I loved the deadpan "Alan Hansen" quote when a player punches the mascot after being sent off- "Bang down goes the penguin." About 35 minutes in here if the timestamp doesn't work-

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I see the club has had to put out another statement about racist abuse after Wednesday night. I cannot comprehend how you can be a supporter of a team that currently and has always had many BAME players and hold these ideas at the same time, its like doublethink from 1984. What's more, I cant understand the mentality of people who go on to social media and post this shit, what's the point ? It is utterly futile. 

There seems to be a pattern now, player has a bad game and then there are posts on Instagram with monkey emojies. They are followed by hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world and there is very little you can do if some kid in, I don't know, Indonesia thinks this is funny, because this is obviously considered a thing to do in some groups. Maybe there should be more work with Instagram on how to stop it and less media exposure of what is clearly bottom half of the bottom half of the Internet which probably additionally feeds on attention.