You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I was just scrolling the internet randomly when I first saw it and it ruined me. When I read your post my stomach sank again. Horrible.

Maybe I'm more sensitive than most having lost my Mum in recent years, but him as a fully grown man calling out for his dead Mum in desperation was absolutely horrifying.

Horrible isn't it mate. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The one where he was crying for his mum? Why would the be relevant? 

It is for the defense, because they can build some of the case around his reactions.

Main problem for every defender in this case would be, why did Chauvin not react during this nine and a half minutes of chokehold, with Floyd telling him he cannot breath. Even in the unlikely case they prove he died because of opioids, and the prosecutor does not present evidence from other situations Chaivin has a problem with black people, that would still remain (ignoring his pleas). Defence would therefore try to argue that it was because Floyd's behaviour when arrested is typically erratic and includes various irrational requests and claims, so the argument could be, they didn't take him seriously or seriously enough, which moves it further from the intent.

It is all a bit academic but I think a smart defender would take this route.

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Have they allowed that previous year arrest video as evidence?

As in the video of George Floyd? If so yes. If not, not sure what you mean.

In the MMA fighter's testimony I thought it was odd that he'd described his early morning plans as going fishing with his young son. He caught three bass and kept them in water on the boat. When he came out of the water to leave, he said he put the bass into bags and watched as the bass suffocated - their eyes rolling back into their head as life left them. It wasn't until he described watching George Floyd experience the same thing that I realised he'd talked about it. I couldn't help but feel this could be seen as an attempt to lead the jury. With his testimony of knowledge on strangle skills (he actually talked about practiccing strangles with willing participants - sparring partners - to go to the edge of strangles so they knew in competition when to release) and the fact he was there watching the whole thing, I didn't think it needed spicing up. But it was pretty damning evidence either way.

His testimony starts here...

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It is for the defense, because they can build some of the case around his reactions.

Main problem for every defender in this case would be, why did Chauvin not react during this nine and a half minutes of chokehold, with Floyd telling him he cannot breath. Even in the unlikely case they prove he died because of opioids, and the prosecutor does not present evidence from other situations Chaivin has a problem with black people, that would still remain (ignoring his pleas). Defence would therefore try to argue that it was because Floyd's behaviour when arrested is typically erratic and includes various irrational requests and claims, so the argument could be, they didn't take him seriously or seriously enough, which moves it further from the intent.

This is the route they took, you even see the 'officer' changing his leg position to get a firmer hold on his throat. All talked about in the testimony above. Worth watching and it does show some of the video footage which is quite distressing. However it cuts before George Floyd appears to lose his life, presumably the broadcast is stopped intentionally to not see this.

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Prosecution Lawyer "The copper knelt on his neck for over 9 minutes ignoring his pleas that he can't breath, as a result George Floyd died"

Defence rests your honour. 

It really should be that simple. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Prosecution Lawyer "The copper knelt on his neck for over 9 minutes ignoring his please that he can't breath"

Defence rests your honour. 

It really should be that simple. 

Yeah, I have noticed a couple of opinion pieces arguing already that George Floyd should not be on trial here. But, legal system does not work that way. This should not feel like a Soviet Union show trial. I am pretty certain Chauvin would get close to the maximum setence for what he is accused of, but everything needs to be examined first.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yeah, I have noticed a couple of opinion pieces arguing already that George Floyd should not be on trial here. But, legal system does not work that way. This should not feel like a Soviet Union show trial. I am pretty certain Chauvin would get close to the maximum setence for what he is accused of, but everything needs to be examined first.

Of course it should be but what possible defence is there for the video we saw of him slowly killing an unarmed-man man with his knee? 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Of course it should be but what possible defence is there for the video we saw of him slowly killing an unarmed-man man with his knee? 

I would say I already answered that question, you can argue that he applied a type of chokehold intended to restrain a potentially dangerous suspect under arrest which his PD trained him to use and then deny intent and try to explain away or mitigate other circumstances.

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He doesn't deny taking his life. He denies manslaughter or murder. It's now up to the jury to decide the officer intended to kill him or accidentally killed him or had no intention to do either.

Edit: In Minnesota there is first-degree murder (aggravated murder), second-degree murder (common-law murder) and third-degree murder (non-violent murder). I believe he is being charged with third-degree murder as there was no violent intent to kill but he was killed. Third-degree carries a max of 40 years and only three states include third-degree murder (Minnesota, Florida and Pennsylvania).

Edit: he's being charged with second-degree murder.

49 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Been following the news about schools this last week or so. Kids are remarkably rapey and the people running schools, they are pretty racisty. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/30/turmoil-at-london-school-hit-by-flag-and-hairstyle-row

What the fuck is going on, Brexit didn't mean abuse kids. 

Tories gonna be tories. Racism is in their manifesto,but in more colourful(pun intended) terms.

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Tories gonna be tories. Racism is in their manifesto,but in more colourful(pun intended) terms.

It's so generous of the Trust to place a school in an area that is seen as under the boot. pThey should be lucky to even have one.

“Future Academies are based in areas of deprivation and disadvantage to enhance the life-chances of children. We have the highest aspirations for our students and are committed to ensuring that they all grow up to be respectful of others, regardless of gender, sexuality, race, age, disability or religious belief, and that each feels respected and safe. The current uniform and equipment policy has removed all gender-specific elements.”

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Been following the news about schools this last week or so. Kids are remarkably rapey and the people running schools, they are pretty racisty. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/30/turmoil-at-london-school-hit-by-flag-and-hairstyle-row

Imagine!

"The academy is run by Future Academies, which was set up by the minister in charge of academies, Lord Nash, and his wife, Caroline, in 2006. They both maintain prominent roles in the organisation.

John Alfred Stoddard Nash was a Conservative donor before being given a peerage in 2013 and made the minister in charge of academisation. Lady Nash, co-chair of governors of the school, as well as the chair of governors at two primary schools in the academy chain, is a former stockbroker. The trust’s Curriculum Centre describes her as the “leading force in curriculum development across the trust”

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's so generous of the Trust to place a school in an area that is seen as under the boot. pThey should be lucky to even have one.

“Future Academies are based in areas of deprivation and disadvantage to enhance the life-chances of children. We have the highest aspirations for our students and are committed to ensuring that they all grow up to be respectful of others, regardless of gender, sexuality, race, age, disability or religious belief, and that each feels respected and safe. The current uniform and equipment policy has removed all gender-specific elements.”

The term 'Academy' makes me want to puke. Spin doctor speak and full of bullshit. Not just the tories responsible for that either. Yes you,Tony Blair,you cunt.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The term 'Academy' makes me want to puke. Spin doctor speak and full of bullshit. Not just the tories responsible for that either. Yes you,Tony Blair,you cunt.

Academies receive funding directly from the government and are run by an academy trust. They have more control over how they do things than community schools. Academies do not charge fees. ... If a school funded by the local authority is judged as 'inadequate' by Ofsted then it must become an academy.

A Minnesota Fire Dept team member who was called to the George Floyd scene was allegedly told by one of the officers "If you really are from the fire department, you'll know better than to get involved." that's in her testimony right now. 

These cunts should be hung, drawn and quartered. 

17 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Academies receive funding directly from the government and are run by an academy trust. They have more control over how they do things than community schools. Academies do not charge fees. ... If a school funded by the local authority is judged as 'inadequate' by Ofsted then it must become an academy.

There are two ways to become an Academy, be inadequate or outstanding and schools, well those that are left that aren't already academies, need the money due to year on year funding cuts. The schools in the middle will be largly ignored unless local pressures such as another school creaming of the best kids leads to a drop in their overall success and a spiral of decline culminating in an Ofsted inspection and failure. So, it's a weird middling existence for most schools as they are trapped in the must achieve outstanding to get bums on seats and maintain 'outstanding' and get the revenue streams this brings, or fall in to a spiral of decline as other schools 'outperform' them based on historial year on year data sets. Without success or failure they go nowhere and revenue streams are impacted.

The problem is this though, Ofsted don't really exist, they have a few people who work for Ofsted, but the inspectors are brought in from a recruitment consultancy firm, such as Blackrock in the North West, who provide the inspectors on a visit by visit basis.

Blackrocks only other buisness interest?

Finding funding for Academies, genuinely.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There are two ways to become an Academy, be inadequate or outstanding and schools, well those that are left that aren't already academies, need the money due to year on year funding cuts. The schools in the middle will be largly ignored unless local pressures such as another school creaming of the best kids leads to a drop in their overall success and a spiral of decline culminating in an Ofsted inspection and failure. So, it's a weird middling existence for most schools as they are trapped in the must achieve outstanding to get bums on seats and maintain 'outstanding' and get the revenue streams this brings, or fall in to a spiral of decline as other schools 'outperform' them based on historial year on year data sets. Without success or failure they go nowhere and revenue streams are impacted.

The problem is this though, Ofsted don't really exist, they have a few people who work for Ofsted, but the inspectors are brought in from a recruitment consultancy firm, such as Blackrock in the North West, who provide the inspectors on a visit by visit basis.

Blackrocks only other buisness interest?

Finding funding for Academies, genuinely.

Why does this not really surprise me when it really should? 

49 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

A Minnesota Fire Dept team member who was called to the George Floyd scene was allegedly told by one of the officers "If you really are from the fire department, you'll know better than to get involved." that's in her testimony right now. 

These cunts should be hung, drawn and quartered. 

She's just been told off by the judge for being argumentative and offering additional information when not asked to by the defence team. 

She seemed to be pissed off with the shit that the defence were asking her to buy. 

I liked the cut of her jib. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

She's just been told off by the judge for being argumentative and offering additional information when not asked to by the defence team. 

She seemed to be pissed off with the shit that the defence were asking her to buy. 

I liked the cut of her jib. 

Yes I saw that, I just hope she hasn't fallen into the trap of getting her stressed to show she acts irrationally when challenged. After all, that seemed to be his whole strategy from the beginning when talking about stress. 

Redirect is going to have to really focus on what SHE saw happening, rather than all the speculative nonsense that defence was asking.

"Do you think the people there were upset and angry at what was happening?"

"I don't know if you've seen anyone being killed in person but it is upsetting"

"Objection, argumentative!"

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

British Passport to Pimlico

10 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'm going to need a chiropractor the amount I have shaken my head this morning.

I've read as much around it as possible and still can't fathom how with the data and evidence they have they have managed to project this image.

Mirza is the worst possible person to front this, a woman who believes that there are no barriers for minorities, or women, and who is one of Alexs 'people'. Stitch up from the start, my only concern is that Tony Sewell put his name to it, which is grim as he's very well respected.

Effectively some Asian heritage kids do better than white boys so racism is over, mad.

No real look at trends, demographics, agency, limited access, family structure, socio-economic standing, it's so flawed that it's a pisstake.