You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool winger Stewart Downing arrested on suspicion of assault

RedSand

The Liverpool winger Stewart Downing has been arrested on suspicion of assault.

The 27-year-old, who has 32 caps for England and joined Liverpool from Aston Villa last year, was arrested early on Sunday morning after an alleged confrontation with a former girlfriend at the Cross Keys club, on Yarm High Street.

The Daily Mail website quoted a local source as saying: "She went over to one of his friends and said something that she shouldn't have. He butted in and they were arguing. Police got there as they were thrown out. He caused a scene outside the club as well, when he realised they were going to take him in."

A police spokesman said: "Police were called to an incident at a pub on Yarm High Street. A 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and a 32-year-old woman has also been arrested on suspicion of assault. Both are in custody and inquiries are ongoing."

Liverpool winger Stewart Downing arrested on suspicion of assault | Football | guardian.co.uk

Tell me this isn't happening......

Downing, as well as a 32 year old woman, have been released on bail pending further inquiries. I have family who live up that way and the story going around is that Downing and his ex (the 32 year old) had a blazing row inside and then outside of the club. The police arrived and arrested both of them. Downing never hit anyone, he apparently never laid his hands on anyone at all.

That's the story going around up there.

I remember an incident outside the 'coconut grove' many years back involving a few of our players and within a relatively short space of time they were all let go.

I wonder if this might be the end of Downing despite no charge being made?

Why would you think it would be the end of Downing, if he was not charged for assault? What rationale would the club give to sack a player who wasn't found guilty of anything?

Guest ShoePiss
I remember an incident outside the 'coconut grove' many years back involving a few of our players and within a relatively short space of time they were all let go.

I wonder if this might be the end of Downing despite no charge being made?

This really is a long time ago, wasn't Sammy Lee involved? When he was a player!

Guest ShoePiss
I was going to mention Sammy Lee but wasnt sure if he was involved.

Back in those days the club used to frown on negative publicity off the pitch of this type.

Maybe not so much now although Kenny is a bit more old school.

I don't think anything has changed, remember we stood by Molby!