You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool winger Stewart Downing arrested on suspicion of assault

RedSand

Interesting how all the reports say he's been bailed and they then quote a police statement which was issued before he was released.

Don't you know him? Tell him to grow a set of balls and put some effort in.

At the minute he's a poor man's Albert Riera WITHOUT THE TECHNIQUE.

I think hes been disappointing but has started to improve a bit lately IMO.

I imagine he was supposed to be a supply line to Carroll and Carroll's poor form and lack of selection havent really helped him personally.

I wouldnt write anybody off after 6 months and the proof of the pudding will be on how we finish at the end of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

We can put this one to bed.

AP News: Liverpool's Downing cleared after assault arrest

Liverpool's Downing cleared after assault arrest

Published: Yesterday

MIDDLESBROUGH, England (AP) - Police say England winger Stewart Downing will face no charges after being arrested last month on suspicion of assault.

The 27-year-old Liverpool player was held for questioning following an alleged incident at a pub in Yarm, northeast England in the early hours of Sunday Jan. 8.

Now police say he "has been released without charge."

A 32-year-old woman also arrested at the time on suspicion of assault remains on police bail.

Yarm is a popular night spot for footballers near Middlesbrough, where Downing played before joining Aston Villa in 2009. He joined Liverpool in the offseason for around $30 million.

I think hes been disappointing but has started to improve a bit lately IMO.

I imagine he was supposed to be a supply line to Carroll and Carroll's poor form and lack of selection havent really helped him personally.

I wouldnt write anybody off after 6 months and the proof of the pudding will be on how we finish at the end of the season.

Agreed on the last sentence.

Though I think the first one is blaming Andy for Downing not being up to scratch. One is a winger, expected to be able to dribble the ball well, pass the ball, put in good crosses, and occasionally provide a goal threat. The other is a target man striker, the sort of striker who relies on good service from someone like Downing. In short he isn't Suarez who can take the ball and beat 3-4 people, nor is he Torres who was capable of taking a good pass and running at pace through the defense, with the occasional brilliant turn for a shot. Andy is the type of striker who relies mostly on those around him, he can help that with his positioning, movement, and work rate at the moment, and over time he can become a player that can power past others and outpace them over short distances but that requires more work and dedication on his own part. Even if he develops into that he'll still need good service to be effective.

For me, that service has been lacking for the most part this season. In the few games we've seen it, Andy has been pretty good, though in the two in recent ones Downing wasn't really one of the people providing that service.

That said, I think it's a mental thing, in a sense he's trying to hard and needs to just relax and let himself play his game rather than trying to beat people in ways that he seemingly can't beat them.

I hope Downing comes good but I think by the summer, especially if we make 4th or better, he'll find himself a squad player more so than a regular starter and we'll be better off for it.