You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

rebuke

andrejwout

The insult seemed to strike Tom Adeyemi with the force of a sniper's bullet. He froze, then strode back to the byline from where the jibe had come; an isolated figure staring into a sea of hostile faces. He made a brief, helpless gesture, then he turned away again, the tears spilling down his face.

And in those deeply disturbing moments, the ugliness of racism confronted the people who control Liverpool Football Club.

Flashpoint: Adeyemi reacts with disgust after alleged abuse was directed at him

Flashpoint: Adeyemi reacts with disgust after alleged abuse was directed at him

For this incident in the 80th minute of the Liverpool-Oldham FA Cup tie was not something which could be brushed aside as a trivial misunderstanding. This was a bright, intelligent and plainly sensitive 20-year-old being called, according to witnesses, a ‘******g black b******’.

PATRICK COLLINS COLUMN

Read Patrick Collins' column from the Mail On Sunday: Two defeats and the mob are baying for Ferguson's blood

Both sets of players, including the Liverpool captain, Steven Gerrard, helped to control and console him, but humiliation had been inflicted upon a distraught young man.

Those of us who covered football across the country some 30 years ago will recall with revulsion that this kind of outrage was encountered on a weekly basis.

Football grounds were frequently squalid, unpleasant places in which racist abuse was routinely bellowed. But the world has moved on, standards have changed, and conduct which was merely despicable in past decades is now practically unthinkable.

Which explains why that vile eruption at Anfield on Friday evening is a cause for real concern.

That's him: Adeyaemi points out the culprit while Latics manager Paul Dickov looks on (below)

That's him: Adeyaemi points out the culprit while Latics manager Paul Dickov looks on (below)

Now, it goes almost without saying that the overwhelming majority of people who watch Liverpool genuinely abhor racism. The same applies to those who make the decisions at the football club.

It was the nudge-nudge, nose-tapping reaction of a man who is not remotely as clever as he imagines

But, after events of the past few weeks, those decision makers — and most obviously the manager, Kenny Dalglish — must surely be asking themselves some pointed questions.

The details are well-known. The accusation that Liverpool’s Luis Suarez racially abused Patrice Evra, of Manchester United, during a 1-1 draw at Anfield in October was publicly prejudged by Dalglish. Evra’s credibility was clumsily traduced, while Suarez was portrayed as a paragon.

In a woefully crass gesture, Dalglish and his players paraded in supportive T-shirts. A siege mentality was cynically created, persuading a number of supporters to believe that the world was persecuting their club.

Calm down: Gerrard intervenes while a sign at Anfield clearly states the rules

Then, after a long and remarkably exhaustive inquiry led by a QC, an FA commission concluded that the accusation was indeed well-founded, and Suarez was fined and suspended for eight matches.

It was at this stage that Dalglish and his superiors could have defused the tension with civilised contrition. Instead, and in the face of all the facts, they opted for dim truculence.

There were murmurings of prejudice, questioning of the FA’s credibility. When Suarez released a particularly evasive statement, Dalglish described it as ‘brilliant’.

At every stage, the manager played to the public gallery, piling on the sense of paranoia. He plumbed the depths on Wednesday evening, when he told a Press conference: ‘There’s a lot of things we’d like to say and a lot of things we could say, but we’d only get ourselves into trouble. But we know what has gone on.’

Siege mentality: Liverpool have been criticised for the way in which they handled the Luis Suarez race row affair

Siege mentality: Liverpool have been criticised for the way in which they handled the Luis Suarez race row affair

It was the nudge-nudge, nose-tapping reaction of a man who is not remotely as clever as he imagines.

What did they want to say? Who was stopping them from saying it? What trouble could they possibly invite? And why did they not say it to the inquiry?

By propagating such nonsense, a fine club was demeaned and a notable manager sadly diminished.

Yet again there were indications that many Liverpool supporters were swallowing the Dalglish line. There was an unhealthy sense that a terrible injustice had been done. After all, their Kenny had as good as said so.

Which brings us back to the events of Friday evening. In his moments of retrospection, does Dalglish ever wonder if his own posturing might have helped create a climate in which intolerance could thrive? Has he considered offering an apology on behalf of all the people he represents? And will he ask his decent supporters to turn in the racist?

His answers would be interesting. Who knows, they might even spare another young man the suffering of Tom Adeyemi.

Read more: Liverpool race row, Tom Adeyemi: Patrick Collins has his say | Mail Online

He really needs to calm his palms. We are not a racist club at all. I remember jon barnsie having bananas thrown at him ....we have gone a long way to stop that. One small minded burk has done this and it in, no way, represents the fans of our club.Ridiculous witch-hunt, thatsd all it is

Guest San Don
Lectures on Racism from the Daily Nazi.

Get To Fuck.

Word.

this piece "His answers would be interesting. Who knows, they might even spare another young man the suffering of Tom Adeyemi." means that word is cunt!

Can I be the first to say 'do one' you self righteous prick. The FA have created this shitstorm. The injustice has heightened the sensibilities of those knobheads with a propensity to racism not the clubs rightful stance against a stitch up.

Like it or not, racism exists and will always exist, it just gets dampened down in civilised socities. We all know any discrimination is evil but let's not fool ourselves that it doesn't exist under the surface. FA have let the 'genie out of the lamp' in their thirst to shame FIFA/EUFA etc. Shame on them.

Its articles like this that actually fuel racism. Worryingly, he seems to be attributing a problem which has plagued our society since time immemorial solely at Kenny's door. Anybody who thinks racism is a problem confined to a section of liverpool supporters, football generally or as a result of some t-shirts then they are either seriously deluded or sanctimoniuos self righteous cunts, such as the "writer" of that pile of shit.

Now I've had a go at Kenny in the last few weeks over tactics and line ups, but I can't believe the slagging he's getting from the press / former players. Don't they realise who this man is? What he's done in the game and for the game? The brave step he took in signing John Barnes in 1987, his support after Hillsborough, the fact that it stressed him out so much it could have killed him. Doesn't he deserve more respect than that? How us he suddenly a cross between Hitler and Nick Griffin? I don't get it!

Guest San Don
Make no mistake - they want Kenny's head on a platter. Its building, across the media, this hostility and personalised slander of Kenny. Its being goaded onwards by mancs on twitter. Drip, drip, drip. The horrible little cunts.

I think you mean LFC, the owners, the King, the players especially Suarez and the fans.

Some of the stuff I've seen the last few days would be deemed contempt of court if there had been a court siting.

Have to say I have never seen such underhand shit from the meedja.

The pressue on him has passed and he never bowed to it, nor should he have, so now he's having to deal with the backlash. I can't believe he's being blamed for "alleged" racism inside anfield from a man he's never met in his life. In what parallel universe can they lay that at Kenny's door? Its fucking scandalous, but suddenly he's fair game.

The FA have caused this shit storm at a time when public feeling on the issue is at its most emotive for a long time given the hate crimes being covered in the media. All's that is needed now is mere offence to be caused, whether malice was intended or not, for the racist stick to come out. The problem with this is that offence can effect some and not others, which means racism in the world of the FA and now it seems the media is completely subjective. Are the suarez t-shirts racist? Is singing his name now racist? Is Kenny a racist? If people are offended by it then in the eyes of the FA and some idiots in the media, then yes it seems it is. This is a very dengerous precedent to set and this is why brandishing something as racist can actually fuel racism by creating something which isn't actually there at all.

You lot, at least some of you are halping it. Oh we are scousers and we as lfc couldnt be racist.the fact is that it occurs, even at anfield. Thankfully, it s a rare thing , but, because we have adred to defend our p;layer/club we are now targets. Its cos the press hate us, kenny and because we are a great club tht is now shit, albiet in name. The harsh realities are kicking in, the doubters are knocking on our door!!

Guest ShoePiss

The press are just producing stuff that they know will sell in the UK. This shitstorm is a reflection of the paper buying public more than anything else.

The John Terry case cannot start quickly enough as far as LFC are concerned, purely to get the rags to focus on something else for 5 minutes.

Regarding that, Suarez didn't get any consideration whatsoever for the context of what was said to Evra. He said 'negro', he wasn't using it in a friendly manner and Evra took offence, a factor that carried a lot of weight in this whole situation. (All this I'm looking at from the FA's point of view).

Terry said 'black cunt', wasn't being friendly (I mean, how could you?) and Ferdinand certainly took offense. By the FA's own precedent with the Suarez findings, it's an open and shut case (give or take 115 pages). Zero tolerance means zero tolerance remember (as cunts like Pawar have been repeatedly reminding everyone)

Now as far as people saying that the FA are happy that the police are handling the Terry case as it reduces the pressure on them to act, as it's already in the hands of a higher authority.

Fuck that. If you're gonna make a huge song and dance about an issue then not make your own stance on it loud and clear, instead of hiding behind a police investigation. Admittedly they have to wait until the police have concluded their investigation, but once it's done, I'll be expecting the FA to be unbiased in what is undoubtedly an issue far greater than any individual.

The insult seemed to strike Tom Adeyemi with the force of a sniper's bullet. He froze, then strode back to the byline from where the jibe had come; an isolated figure staring into a sea of hostile faces. He made a brief, helpless gesture, then he turned away again, the tears spilling down his face.

Christ almighty, I thought after reading that it was going to be a satire piece. I actually clicked the link to make sure the OP hadn't added that paragraph at the start himself.

The moment the ugliness of racism returned to Anfield by hammy hack Patrick Collins pretending to be Sir John Geilgud

s_engl_ec_08509_4x3.jpg

Christ almighty, I thought after reading that it was going to be a satire piece. I actually clicked the link to make sure the OP hadn't added that paragraph at the start himself.

The John Terry case cannot start quickly enough as far as LFC are concerned, purely to get the rags to focus on something else for 5 minutes.

Regarding that, Suarez didn't get any consideration whatsoever for the context of what was said to Evra. He said 'negro', he wasn't using it in a friendly manner and Evra took offence, a factor that carried a lot of weight in this whole situation. (All this I'm looking at from the FA's point of view).

Terry said 'black cunt', wasn't being friendly (I mean, how could you?) and Ferdinand certainly took offense. By the FA's own precedent with the Suarez findings, it's an open and shut case (give or take 115 pages). Zero tolerance means zero tolerance remember (as cunts like Pawar have been repeatedly reminding everyone)

Now as far as people saying that the FA are happy that the police are handling the Terry case as it reduces the pressure on them to act, as it's already in the hands of a higher authority.

Fuck that. If you're gonna make a huge song and dance about an issue then not make your own stance on it loud and clear, instead of hiding behind a police investigation. Admittedly they have to wait until the police have concluded their investigation, but once it's done, I'll be expecting the FA to be unbiased in what is undoubtedly an issue far greater than any individual.

There's also a crucial difference between an FA action and a Police action: the burden of proof. With a Police action, you're innocent until proven guilty. The FA Panel (which, at the risk of being culturally insensitive to you, I'm going to call a Kangaroo Court) hung Suarez out to dry on the "balance of probabilities" that Evra's uncorroborated fairy stories were true.

If the FA are serious about racism, they have to investigate Terry by these same standards, once the Police investigation is over.

There's also a crucial difference between an FA action and a Police action: the burden of proof. With a Police action, you're innocent until proven guilty. The FA Panel (which, at the risk of being culturally insensitive to you, I'm going to call a Kangaroo Court) hung Suarez out to dry on the "balance of probabilities" that Evra's uncorroborated fairy stories were true.

If the FA are serious about racism, they have to investigate Terry by these same standards, once the Police investigation is over.

Well yeah, you put it slightly more eloquently and in more detail, but that was my sentiments also (except the k#*gar!* court remark, I'm hoping Dave has your IP address in the hands of police as I type).

It could actually work out ok, strictly from LFC's point of view. If the FA take matters into their own hands following the police investigation, going by the Suarez precedent, John Terry is in trouble. If they show they are willing to investigate and find Terry innocent, even by their own loose guidelines (balance of probability, as you said), then they'll be rightly accused of double standards. If they say the police investigation satisfies them, then they'll be accused of going soft (especially after their supposed tough stance in full view of FIFA).

So with a bit of luck, either Terry and/or the FA are in for a rough ride and on the balance of cuntery, it will be 100% justified. Just hope this latest incident settles down asap, for the sake of the club.