You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Adeyemi

redsoxs

I was at the game tonight. I was sat in the main stand level with the 18 yard line.

Let's set the scene. There were three fans in jester hats and Luis Suarez t-shirts (not the one's the players wore, just a single full length picture of Suarez). They'd been there all night without incident. they were on the front row, in the corner, and no more than 10' from a group of police officers.

Before this kicked off, the whole Kop had been singing support for Luis on and off. Suddenly, Adeyemi went off on one and started shouting at the three lads in the t-shirts, or it certainly seemed like them. The police officers and stewards stood near them di not approach the lads or say anything to them. The police and stewards, no more than a few feet away, did not react at all. When Adeyemi was shouting, the crowd just laughed at him. They then began chanting Luis Suarez and the both the other stands joined in.

This seemed to incense Adeyemi.

Throughout, at no time did the police or stewards feel it necessary to intervene. Approximately five minutes after the match resumed, the police asked the lads to leave. They were not arrested.

It seems to me that Craig Bellamy came in for mass abuse of a worse nature from the Wigan fans. We'v also seen him pelted with items at Goodison Park. And yet he didn't react like Adeyemi.

I think Adeyemi didn't like the fact he was laughed at and has made more of it than there was. Given Steven Gerrard had nothing to do with it, why did he then scythe Gerrard down seconds later.

I also did not hear any chants of "Are you Evra in disguise."

Sorry, but it seems to me that pretty soon the media will be demanding we can't support Suarez, that we can't have SUAREZ 7 on the back of our shirts, or that we have to put up with any old allegation by anybody that feels like making one.

As for the Mirror, I suggest we all write to the PCC en masse.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the FA are proud of themselves.

Yes, we have done some silly things recently, but those bastards have made matters worse, stoking the flames and making this into a huge issue - instead of an even handed, fair approach.

This will come back to bite them on the arse, I'm sure of it.

Police launch probe into player abuse at Liverpool FC game

by Richard Buxton at Anfield. Published Fri 06 Jan 2012 23:23, Last updated: 2012-01-06

Police are investigating an incident of player abuse which took place during Liverpool's win over Oldham.

Latics defender Tom Adeyemi was left visibly upset after an altercation with a supporter from the Kop during the 80th minute of the FA Cup tie, which the Reds ran out 5-1 winners.

Fourth official Mark Haywood was seen speaking with a police officer stationed on the touchline following the verbal fracas which ensued after Adeyemi was booked for a foul on Jon Flanagan.

Tonight Liverpool have confirmed that Merseyside Police have launched a probe into the incident, which saw the on-loan Norwich full-back restrained by referee Neil Swarbrick.

"An incident occurred in the second half of the match, which is now being investigated by both the club and the police," read the statement.

"We will continue to work closely with the police to establish the details of what actually happened and will make a further statement in due course."

Oldham boss Paul Dickov could not verify what was said to Adeyemi but insists that the right-back's uncharacteristic

reaction demonstrated the severe offence he took to the comment.

He said: "From my point of view, I've not spoken to Tom about it.

"But what I will say is I know the kid and something has been said.

"Tom's a placcid boy; he's a 19-year-old kid who, not that it makes any difference, has been well educated and who's got a fantastic temperament.

"He's been with us since the end of August and I've never even seen him raise his voice. I wish he would sometimes, especially on the football pitch.

"So for him to react like that, it's bovious that something's been said but what's been said, I don't know. I've not had the chance.

"I was too busy praising my players for the performance that they put in."

Both Liverpool and Merseyside Police have denied suggestions that any supporters were arrested for racially aggravated offences inside Anfield this evening.

Click Liverpool

Censorship is the answer to sensationalist media? Two wongs...

Firstly it is not censorship, it is banning the Mirror not all newspapers, secondly I said ban them from having access to the players and access to the club in the form of exclusives, because although two wongs don't make a right, actions do have consequences.

If they don't respect the club then me and you will be getting this type of shit more often, and we don't deserve this.

Regardless of whether there was a racial element to the incident or not, it still prompted idiots to sing "are you Evra in disguise" at the lad. We don't need that kind of shit at the moment, it's just giving the likes of Maddock and Holt an excuse.

And another thing, this "stand up for the 96" song which is getting an airing every game just doesn't sit right with me at all.

With you on that. It's misguided, at best. I won't say what I think it is at it's worst, but I don't think it has any place at Anfield.

Regardless of whether there was a racial element to the incident or not, it still prompted idiots to sing "are you Evra in disguise" at the lad. We don't need that kind of shit at the moment, it's just giving the likes of Maddock and Holt an excuse.

And another thing, this "stand up for the 96" song which is getting an airing every game just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Agreed. Seems pretty disrespectful to me and my first thought was that it was a dig against Trevor Hicks and others who have actively opposed standing. I may be wrong though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

1) Need to make sure it actually happened. This should be easy, given that they were amongst hundreds and hundreds of people.

2) If they're guilty, they need serious punishment.

3) If they're innocent, there needs to be an inquiry into those 'journalists' jumping the gun.

4) We need to find out who those people are. If they're wearing Suarez t-shirts and shouting racist abuse, then there's something fucking fishy.

I remember the good old days, not so long ago (Titi Camara was playing, I'm sure), when we were singing, "There's only one pint of Guiness...", to a young Charlton sub, when he came on.

Forget the kids name, but he was black with a peroxide hair do. All in good fun, and the kid took it and responded in the spirit it was intended.

Do that today and there'll be people throwing themselves underneath motorized parambulators.

That is the powder keg - every Tom Dick and Harry has the ax now.

Yes. And that's why I've been saying we should stand firm. No more apologies - even non-apologetic ones. We stand firm, and we tell everyone else to go and fuck themselves. We've been called theives. We've been accused of pickpocketing our own dead. We've been called murderers. And we've stood firm each time. This is just one more label to beat us with. We stand firm against all-comers.

Oliver Holt on tonight:

Sadly, it is being confirmed that there was a racial element to the abuse Tom Adeyemi took from the Liverpool crowd. A little background on Tom Adeyemi for you, the lad who was abused by a moron at Anfield tonight. Not that it's important but for those who will no doubt abuse him, Adeyemi got 3 A stars at A-level and was offered place at Cambridge He's also about as placid and down to earth as it gets. Doesn't react to stuff. Except he reacted tonight. Wonder why

Oliver Holt on Terry:

Even though he will be judged by the law while the verdict on Suarez was delivered by an independent tribunal, Terry should benefit from the same rule that applied to the Liverpool striker.

It is the most basic legal rule of all: that he is innocent until proven guilty.

Hypocritical Manc twat.

I reckon we are gonna get mullered from all angles over this.

Why? No evidence yet that the incident was race related and even if it was, LFC have one of the best records of anybody for welcoming fans of all races and backgrounds to Anfield and protecting them when they are there. I have had a Season Ticket for 5 years and have been going the match for 18 years and I haven't once witnessed any racism at the game, not once.

If people are trying to tarnish the club, we need to be prepared to stick up for ourselves and not be scared of pointing to our record.

I was at the game tonight. I was sat in the main stand level with the 18 yard line.

Let's set the scene. There were three fans in jester hats and Luis Suarez t-shirts (not the one's the players wore, just a single full length picture of Suarez). They'd been there all night without incident. they were on the front row, in the corner, and no more than 10' from a group of police officers.

Before this kicked off, the whole Kop had been singing support for Luis on and off. Suddenly, Adeyemi went off on one and started shouting at the three lads in the t-shirts, or it certainly seemed like them. The police officers and stewards stood near them di not approach the lads or say anything to them. The police and stewards, no more than a few feet away, did not react at all. When Adeyemi was shouting, the crowd just laughed at him. They then began chanting Luis Suarez and the both the other stands joined in.

This seemed to incense Adeyemi.

Throughout, at no time did the police or stewards feel it necessary to intervene. Approximately five minutes after the match resumed, the police asked the lads to leave. They were not arrested.

It seems to me that Craig Bellamy came in for mass abuse of a worse nature from the Wigan fans. We'v also seen him pelted with items at Goodison Park. And yet he didn't react like Adeyemi.

I think Adeyemi didn't like the fact he was laughed at and has made more of it than there was. Given Steven Gerrard had nothing to do with it, why did he then scythe Gerrard down seconds later.

I also did not hear any chants of "Are you Evra in disguise."

Sorry, but it seems to me that pretty soon the media will be demanding we can't support Suarez, that we can't have SUAREZ 7 on the back of our shirts, or that we have to put up with any old allegation by anybody that feels like making one.

As for the Mirror, I suggest we all write to the PCC en masse.

Wasn't at the game but on tv you could clearly hear the crowd singing Suarez. Not long after Adeyemi went mad and the Suarez chants got louder.

So either something was said...or he was reacting to the Suarez chants feeling they were aimed at him.

Firstly it is not censorship, it is banning the Mirror not all newspapers, secondly I said ban them from having access to the players and access to the club in the form of exclusives, because although two wongs don't make a right, actions do have consequences.

If they don't respect the club then me and you will be getting this type of shit more often, and we don't deserve this.

You might be right - just seems a little juvenile - kind of slurrish tbh.