You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Adeyemi

redsoxs

"Something rotten at our club"?

"We're looking a right shower lately"

Are you even aware of the language you use, or do you actually, genuinely believe that LFC as a club, its players, and its fans, have an endemic racist problem?

This is 100% media driven, and we are under the spotlight because of the Suarez shitstorm, and our subsequent reaction to it.

I don't know whether he was called a black bastard, or a Manc bastard, but even if it was the former, we can't allow the actions of one pissed-up moron to to be used as yet another stick to beat us with.

There's nothing "rotten" at LFC and there's nothing the club "had got to address" because we've done nothing wrong.

I think that there is something in this.

Few can believe that as a club or set of fans we have a race problem. The Club have mishandled the Suarez issue, but handled Friday night's episode well.

Whatever that individual did, or did not, do will be dealt with.

With the Terry Trial coming up soon, Luis will become yesterdays news. As a club we learn from our mistakes and move on. So long as the Cup game passes off without incident the league game becomes manageable and normality returns, as does Luis, rested, with a bit of winter sun, a few well placed interviews and this can be laid to rest.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Something rotten at our club"?

"We're looking a right shower lately"

Are you even aware of the language you use, or do you actually, genuinely believe that LFC as a club, its players, and its fans, have an endemic racist problem?

This is 100% media driven, and we are under the spotlight because of the Suarez shitstorm, and our subsequent reaction to it.

I don't know whether he was called a black bastard, or a Manc bastard, but even if it was the former, we can't allow the actions of one pissed-up moron to to be used as yet another stick to beat us with.

There's nothing "rotten" at LFC and there's nothing the club "had got to address" because we've done nothing wrong.

As for calling a "young lad from Norwich a manc" what the merry fuck are you quacking on about there? We should know the birthplace of every opposition player?

Snide, insinuating and full of shit. Again.

No I don't fuck off with your word twisting. You massive whopper.

What I'm saying is that there is a conception, I never said it was caused by our own fans. But there is something there at the moment which needs to be addressed.

We haven't got a racist endemic and if you actually looked at my posts on this matter, I've already said this. What I am saying is from the outside looking in, we're looking like a bunch of fools. It Looks like we're backing a racist, it looks like our fans are taking advantage.

You're completely blind or ignorant to completely ignore the bile spewed towards the direction of the club and our fans. Yes I don't deny it's part caused by the reaction of the media. But the question is, how do we address this, and how does we actually try and look good. Because for whatever reason Liverpool FC isn't in anyone's good books at the moment, and questioning the reaction of a young 20 year old is far from reasonable or sensible.

So what do we do? We're releasing statements left right and centre, we're getting called a town full of racists and the populist view is that we have a problem. It maybe not be the right view, but it's the populist view. Alongside this we're going to have our star player slated for seemingly the rest of his career here. It's getting bad, people with no inkling of the facts coming out and speaking against our club. Look at that city fan with the banner?

It's not looking good at all, no matter where you point the finger, no matter who you blame. Our club went out fighting, and conceded defeat still adamant it was right? I don't know what the club should have said, frankly I'm rather tired of the wholething.

What I can say is that we've handled it incredibly bad. I'm finding the whole situation too near the knuckle, so near the knuckle in fact the discussions in the crowd teetering on the edge of borderline racism.

We need a P.R Campaign like no other. Because whether you believe it or not, the view of our club is that we look a right shower. You ask any other fan what they think of our club and they'll tell you that.

Lets sort this shit out once and for all.

We need a P.R Campaign like no other. Because whether you believe it or not, the view of our club is that we look a right shower. You ask any other fan what they think of our club and they'll tell you that.

Lets sort this shit out once and for all.

This is an area which has not been discussed. In Tom Werner we have one of the world’s leading media and communications gurus, so what is going wrong?

Are FSG unaware of what is going on? Do they know, but are not that bothered? Do they regard it as Ayre/Cottons’ job and nothing to do with them? Do they not know what to do? Is there a strategy, but it is ill-conceived and not working?

What you do seem to be saying Ant is that, we haven't got a problem, but the club needs to get a grip on this problem, and deal with it, because ultimately you don't think we have a problem!

It's like having a BNP sign outside your garden. Because your mate said something that was deemed wrong. You support your mate, but not the BNP.

You didn't put the sign there, you don't support it's views. You're not a member of the BNP. But you're just leaving it there, and saying that everyone has got it in for your mate, and you're just supporting him because he's not racist. All the while that big fuck off sign is still planted outside your house.

The club needs to get to grip on the perception, a perception can be more dangerous than an actual problem if you get my gist.

Oldham have released a statement.

Oldham Athletic | News | News Update | News Update | LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

Posted on: Tue 10 Jan 2012

Latics have issued the following statement on the incident involving Tom Adeyemi which happened during Friday's FA Cup with Budweiser, third-round tie at Liverpool.

"The Chairman and Directors of Oldham Athletic Football Club would like to thank Liverpool Football Club and officers of the Merseyside Police for their concerns and painstaking efforts in investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident involving Tom Adeyemi.

"Excellent communication has been maintained and the Club and player have been notified of every detail during the progress of the investigation. The professional standards applied throughout have been praiseworthy.

"The Club would also like to thank the numerous fans from Liverpool and Oldham, and also those from around the country, who have sent letters of support to Tom.

"This type of incident is contained within a minority and should not deflect from a superb match that was enjoyed by both sets of Club officials and fans.

"We wish Liverpool every success in the next round of the Cup."

A fantastic, fair-minded statement in my opinion. As a result I highly doubt any media outlets will pick up on it.

I think that there is something in this.

Few can believe that as a club or set of fans we have a race problem. The Club have mishandled the Suarez issue, but handled Friday night's episode well.

Whatever that individual did, or did not, do will be dealt with.

With the Terry Trial coming up soon, Luis will become yesterdays news. As a club we learn from our mistakes and move on. So long as the Cup game passes off without incident the league game becomes manageable and normality returns, as does Luis, rested, with a bit of winter sun, a few well placed interviews and this can be laid to rest.

Spot on. Terry will be the big news, not forgetting Harry's trial, and hopefully we can get back to purely on-field concerns. We'll still feel aggrieved but hopefully those in charge have learnt a thing or two about the FA and the press in this country. The truth will come out, but to make a show and dance now would be opening up a wound that should be left to heal. We're not the main header on every sports site running a negative article and that's at least a relief.

I can't wait to see what Powar and co have to say about Terry.

Cracking statement from Oldham.

. What I am saying is from the outside looking in, we're looking like a bunch of fools. It Looks like we're backing a racist, it looks like our fans are taking advantage.

Which is fair comment.

There are two parallel universes out there. In the first, kenny and the fans are defending Luis from allegations which have been poorly handled.In the second, Kenny and the fans are defending someone convicted of using language referring to colour and who allegedly spoke in similar vein.

I agree with you that we have to deal with things as they are, not as how we would like them to be. The small club mentality of drawing into our shell has not, and will not work.If we want to regain our place on the Euro and World stage we will have to work at it.

It's like having a BNP sign outside your garden. Because your mate said something that was deemed wrong. You support your mate, but not the BNP.

You didn't put the sign there, you don't support it's views. You're not a member of the BNP. But you're just leaving it there, and saying that everyone has got it in for your mate, and you're just supporting him because he's not racist. All the while that big fuck off sign is still planted outside your house.

The club needs to get to grip on the perception, a perception can be more dangerous than an actual problem if you get my gist.

I don't think that is a good example to be honest!

The club cannot do anything about perception, if you consider that 4 months ago we were a multi cultural club, progressive and forward thinking with regards to race relations within this country. Yet our backing for Suarez has rendered us as a racist club, ignorant of the fight against racism!

I do agree that their is an 'atmosphere' at the ground because of this, but this is just anger, and the club have done the right thing by reiterating their stance. If you protest too much, people will think you are covering up, simply re state your stance, and your support for various projects. The club cannot get hold of anything, because it is not us who are making assumptions.

I don't think that is a good example to be honest!

The club cannot do anything about perception, if you consider that 4 months ago we were a multi cultural club, progressive and forward thinking with regards to race relations within this country. Yet our backing for Suarez has rendered us as a racist club, ignorant of the fight against racism!

I do agree that their is an 'atmosphere' at the ground because of this, but this is just anger, and the club have done the right thing by reiterating their stance. If you protest too much, people will think you are covering up, simply re state your stance, and your support for various projects. The club cannot get hold of anything, because it is not us who are making assumptions.

Fair Point.

I suppose what hasn't really helped IMO. Is seemingly fighting it all the way. then deciding not to appeal, but still admitting we're right. Which of course we have a right to, but that is something we've done badly IMO. You don't go to a gun fight all guns blazing, then after 5 minutes turn around and run away do you?

The bottom line is this could have been handled better. Now we have to deal with an under-current not entirely of our own creating. But it's something we have to deal with non the less, if we're truly to get past what has happened.

It'll be interesting to see where the land lies in 12 months time.

Fair Point.

I suppose what hasn't really helped IMO. Is seemingly fighting it all the way. then deciding not to appeal, but still admitting we're right. Which of course we have a right to, but that is something we've done badly IMO. You don't go to a gun fight all guns blazing, then after 5 minutes turn around and run away do you?

The bottom line is this could have been handled better. Now we have to deal with an under-current not entirely of our own creating. But it's something we have to deal with non the less, if we're truly to get past what has happened.

It'll be interesting to see where the land lies in 12 months time.

In 12 Months time we will be complaining about Arry Redknap's England tenure, when the tax issue suddenly becomes important because the media want him out.

The one thing in our favour is that the media in this country has the memory of Maggie Thatcher! JT will take the attention from us, no matter what the FA does it is going to be about them and JT.

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

Latics have issued the following statement on the incident involving Tom Adeyemi which happened during Friday's FA Cup with Budweiser, third-round tie at Liverpool.

"The Chairman and Directors of Oldham Athletic Football Club would like to thank Liverpool Football Club and officers of the Merseyside Police for their concerns and painstaking efforts in investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident involving Tom Adeyemi.

"Excellent communication has been maintained and the Club and player have been notified of every detail during the progress of the investigation. The professional standards applied throughout have been praiseworthy.

"The Club would also like to thank the numerous fans from Liverpool and Oldham, and also those from around the country, who have sent letters of support to Tom.

"This type of incident is contained within a minority and should not deflect from a superb match that was enjoyed by both sets of Club officials and fans.

This is an area which has not been discussed. In Tom Werner we have one of the world’s leading media and communications gurus, so what is going wrong?

Are FSG unaware of what is going on? Do they know, but are not that bothered? Do they regard it as Ayre/Cottons’ job and nothing to do with them? Do they not know what to do? Is there a strategy, but it is ill-conceived and not working?

My understanding is that, whilst Kenny has driven the PR exercise, FSG have been consulted on everything and have even supplemented our proposed output. Everyone at the Club believes Luis to be such a nice, unassuming guy - back at training yesterday even though he was given the week off - and felt the rest of the world would see him that way.

It has turned out to be such a mess an appeal was thought likely only to prolong the pain and provoke further negative reaction. My view is something will happen in the future but the Club will not be overtly involved.

My understanding is that, whilst Kenny has driven the PR exercise, FSG have been consulted on everything and have even supplemented our proposed output.

You may be right Barnsey, I don't know, which is why I asked the question.

I hope that you are wrong though. For me, Kenny is the team manager and should not have to become involved at all in this. If FSG have been consulted on everything it does not augur well for the future.

I think the reaction of Adeyemi suggests that we really have something rotten at our club for someone to instantly jump at the conclusion that we called someone a Black Bastard.

I'm of no doubt he was misheard, but I honestly think Adeyemi came here with some misconceptions of our club and fans especially regarding the Suarez affair, and after hearing the song perhaps felt somewhat insulted.

I don't know, I'm just guessing. But we're looking like a right shower lately, and it's something this club has got to address, even if we did only just call a young lad from Norwich a Manc Bastard and he thought we called him Black.

You're being an idiot again.

Because the media have been going on about racism(that wasn't racism) at the club, doesn't mean there's something rotten.

You used the term Spanish as an abusive term. That's worse than what Suarez done.

Guest San Don
Oldham have released a statement.

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

A fantastic, fair-minded statement in my opinion. As a result I highly doubt any media outlets will pick up on it.

Is right. Few people including piara powar and xerxes will pick on this as they have an agenda to follow.

Despite the club's clear comment on the Suarez situation, the likes of xerxes continue to peddle their distortion of the facts because it suits their agenda.

In spite of the swiftness of bluto, emily nuggent's son, maddock, powar and the like to condem LFC, I see very little from their orriffices about Oldham's statement.

No doubt like some resentful apology the meedja tend to issue from time to time, Oldham's comments will be tucked away in a corner somewhere where few will get the chance to see them.

Guest ShoePiss

Maddock had an article out about 30 minutes after the final whistle filled with bollocks (which fortunately for him some became true later and it was edited on the fly), where's his Oldham statement article?

Is right. Few people including piara powar and xerxes will pick on this as they have an agenda to follow.

As usual on this subject ( though not the team) you are wrong. I had already posted the statement almost five hours earlier.;)

LATICS ADEYEMI STATEMENT

Posted on: Tue 10 Jan 2012 etc

Keep up!:P

Maddock had an article out about 30 minutes after the final whistle filled with bollocks (which fortunately for him some became true later and it was edited on the fly), where's his Oldham statement article?

Our statement, post game, was spot on, as is Oldham's response.