You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Adeyemi

redsoxs

Is there an FA email address to report abuse? Hazell can't moralise about one thing, especially a case as ambiguous as Suarez's, and then serve up some pretty appalling bigotry. If anyone tries to defend him with the "it's not the same as mentioning someone's race!" then they can fuck off too.

When the Suarez/Evra incident first took off, I was (naively perhaps) pretty surprised by the universal holier-than-thou self-righteous indignation and lack of any attempt to analyse the suituation among sports journos. These reporters, pundits and whoever else, I thought, aren't generally known to be the most PC of people; surely a more measured approach shuld be expected. My cynical side argued they were hypocritical, ammoral cunts looking for a story, but another side of me thought that, maybe they are progressing with society and really are outraged by offensive language - even if it is to the point where they're blind to the facts.

And, bit by bit, my initial assement comes true. Firstly I find out that Rio Ferdinand calls people 'faggots', then we get Oliver Holt suggesting that calling someone a 'fucking black cunt' isn't racially abusive, and yesterday I read an article by the walrus Samuel who attempted to downplay xenophobia. And now this idiot who also uses the word 'faggot' to describe gays.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Suarez episode and this last night have taught me one thing, it is that the average person doesn't understand the complex issue of racism.

I think the problem is more that the average (white) person thinks that he does understand the complex issue of racism!

If the Suarez episode and this last night have taught me one thing, it is that the average person doesn't understand the complex issue of racism.

Why would they? My general impression of how racism has been dealt with in the UK over the years has been to shout down anyone who exhibits it.

Racism is ignorance and you have to educate people out of it. It doesn't seem to me that has happened. People have either been conditioned or grown up in an environment where racism doesn't make sense.

Almost everyone I knew that was a "racist" 20 years ago, still is. They just keep their mouths shut more often.

Why would they? My general impression of how racism has been dealt with in the UK over the years has been to shout down anyone who exhibits it.

Racism is ignorance and you have to educate people out of it. It doesn't seem to me that has happened. People have either been conditioned or grown up in an environment where racism doesn't make sense.

Almost everyone I knew that was a "racist" 20 years ago, still is. They just keep their mouths shut more often.

Can't argue with that. My point was that people are often too quick to call 'racism' and neglect to consider points that you have raised.

Liverpool vs Oldham 2nd Half

Skip to 34.35 on the above video and you'll see the incident.

He reacts at 34.47, pause it. He is approximately 20 yards from the crowd.

How on earth he heard something from that distance, when none of the people surrounding the 'fan' heard anything, is beyond me.

do you think he reacted like that for nothing? he either heard or misheard something.

obviously I wasn't there but watching it on the TV the lad looked like evander holyfield after mike tyson bit his ear off.

it's possible he misheard someone calling him a manc cunt (is he from manchester or is it just because he plays for oldham who are in the manc area?) and with the hysteria of what is going on at the minute he thought he heard something else and reacted very badly.

or some fucking tramp did call him a black cunt and needs to be at the very least banned for life.

tories in government, strikes, recession, kenny as manager, racism in football, people wearing body warmers and basketball boots - it really is the 80's all over again. Must dig out my chinos and paisley shirt.

it's possible he misheard someone calling him a manc cunt (is he from manchester or is it just because he plays for oldham who are in the manc area?) and with the hysteria of what is going on at the minute he thought he heard something else and reacted very badly.

There is a very good chance that he did mishear! As understandable as that is in the current climate, it still isn't fair on us!

Chelsea fans sang 'Anton Ferdinand you know what you are'! Hardly something that can be misconstrued and regardless of whether Terry is guilty or not is clearly racist, and clearly racially offensive. That should have been dealt with, as Chelsea did with a statement.

This is entirely different and if photographers, stewards and the BBC reporters are saying 'Manc Bastard' then we are the ones who are being discriminated against here.

I'm more embarrassed about a grown fucking man, a professional athlete nonetheless, CRYING because of something some anonymous guy shouted at him, regardless of whether he misheard or not.

Tom Adeyemi needs to take a good look at himself and grow a pair of testicles. Seriously, what a fucking milky-licking fruitbowl.

Well said.

do you think he reacted like that for nothing? he either heard or misheard something.

obviously I wasn't there but watching it on the TV the lad looked like evander holyfield after mike tyson bit his ear off.

or some fucking tramp did call him a black cunt and needs to be at the very least banned for life.

tories in government, strikes, recession, kenny as manager, racism in football, people wearing body warmers and basketball boots - it really is the 80's all over again. Must dig out my chinos and paisley shirt.

It appears theres two versions of what was said floating around.

Theres the version the papers seem to be going with,which is a guy called him a black basted,the other version which alot of people who were by the guy who shouted at him,claiming he shouted manc bastard.

But I guess both of them versions could be bullshit.

BBC News reporting that no complaints of racial abuse have been made to Merseyside Police.

Did look like he got hit by a coin or something.

Maybe then exacerbated by him complaining only to be called a ****(*) bastard.

But having stood in front of K Stand for many seasons I know those fuckers can sting like a mutha - hence the tears? He was rubbing his head quite a bit.

If the lad has had the Manc thing explained to him, I hope he has the grace to say "oh yeah, maybe" in which case anyone giving him grief on here owes him a big apology

or

BBC News reporting that no complaints of racial abuse have been made to Merseyside Police......

.....yet.

How many gingers or big noses or plonkies have had their forefathers industrially rounded up but in chains had all their rights denied to them for centuries by decent white folk. They may get a bit touchy themselves if they had. Stop talking you are making a prick out of yourself.

Go off and read why white people calling black people nigger and the like is so offensive, you may learn a thing or two.

Thats a bit of a paella there isnt it? The chapter of this unforgiveable practice you refer to is probably the thinnest one in that book, most of that topic was, and is, of the intraracial variety.

Reactions to racist behavior are really not connected in any way except by feelings of guilt/remorse right?

I guess it is easier to follow the game when the teams are wearing different jerseys though.

This is particularly idiotic and embarrassing. No form of abuse with reference to a person's ethnicity is ever acceptable or excusable.

I never said it was acceptable or excusable but it happens - always has and always will. Every footballer knows what he is potentially in for before he steps on to the pitch. If all footballers reacted the way Adeyemi did last night then every game in the country would come to a stop after a couple of mins cos all the players would be crying their eyes out. The show must go on - play the game and deal with your issues afterwards.

Just had a reply from ollie holt on twitter. Merseyside police said on their twitter page that no one was arrested for racial abuse, i tweeted him this. I also said, ''Can not see how you can say racist abuse was used last night.''

It seems he spoke to Tom Adeyemi after the game, ollies holts reply was 'Have you spoken to the player invovled?' I have asked him can he tell me what racist word was used towards the lad. Doubt i will get a reply though.

Just had a reply from ollie holt on twitter. Merseyside police said on their twitter page that no one was arrested for racial abuse, i tweeted him this. I also said, ''Can not see how you can say racist abuse was used last night.''

It seems he spoke to Tom Adeyemi after the game, ollies holts reply was 'Have you spoken to the player invovled?' I have asked him can he tell me what racist word was used towards the lad. Doubt i will get a reply though.

"Have you?" would have been the best reply cos he almost certainly hasn't.

That was my point.

Thats because they rarely have it educated out of them.

Precisely. The moral indignation directed their way ends up fortifying them in their beliefs. When you see the same patterns of thought being directed at homosexuals, muslims, americans, etc, you known the issue has just been repressed and not addressed.

Perhaps you should ask him if he thinks calling someone a 'black bastard' is racist. Watch the fucker squirm.