You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Adeyemi

redsoxs

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Juan, there are two arguments I think.

The incident, and how it was dealt with, which I am happy with and feel no malice at all towards him, as I say, I feel for him.

The second is the reaction to the incident by the media and how they have approached the situation. I am truly disgusted with the mirror, but more annoyed with the Guardian which is supposed to be a broadsheet and not prone to knee jerk reporting.

I can understand people's suggestions of being pro-active, such as players coaching ethnic children, or banners against racism, but won't that just look gimmicky in the current climate? I'd prefer we just said nothing, allowed the incident to be investigated, and make any comments we have then.

Right now it's open season on us, and no matter what we do we'll be the bad guys. Let's just annoy the bastards by winning as many games as possible.

If he's a professional footballer, then the FA should charge him for that.

However I won't hold my breath.

Said this at the start of the Suarez affair, the next issue is Homophobia, and that will involve black players. Wonder how Jason Roberts, Lord Ouseley, Clarke Carlise and Gordon Taylor will react when this starts being taken seriously.

Am I right in thinking it is a criminal offenc as well?

Couldn't have said it better myself, when they called us a 'Town full of racists' and we retorted with the Suarez song. I uttered to myself 'This is getting out of hand now', and a few people turned around and agreed with me.

I'm fully expecting to have to go on a racial awareness course sometime soon, it really needs addressing, i've just tweeted Martin Lipton my thoughts, this is a scandal that needs to be investigated, and what doesn't help is papers stoking up flames that don't need to be fueled anymore.

Hopefully Lipton doesn't think all Liverpool fans are like you.

Didn't you call someone a Spanish prick before btw?

Said this at the start of the Suarez affair, the next issue is Homophobia, and that will involve black players. Wonder how Jason Roberts, Lord Ouseley, Clarke Carlise and Gordon Taylor will react when this starts being taken seriously.

It falls under 'public disorder' the same as racism. An incident regarding race would be 'racially aggravated public disorder'. Homophobia, 'Homophobic public disorder'.

It is. Rio Ferdinand was it as well the other week and it shows a great of ignorance and prejudice.

Edited by robslappa
Cos I'm an idiot.

I can understand people's suggestions of being pro-active, such as players coaching ethnic children, or banners against racism, but won't that just look gimmicky in the current climate? I'd prefer we just said nothing, allowed the incident to be investigated, and make any comments we have then.

I think you are spot on there, our credentials in supporting racism shouldn't be dismissed and ignored.

I was thinking more about us, as fans letting Oldham know that there is no malice felt towards the player, and fully support him as he does genuinely believe he was racially abused.

Given the lack of reaction by police etc in the vicinity of the fans in question (and I'm obviously taking this from a number of people here who were present and witnessed what occurred), then it's very possible that the lad simply misheard something, especially as he was apparently a bit of a distance away when the alleged abuse took place and he gog upset.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone can be too harsh on his reaction, if he really did believe that he was racially abused. Going back to Evra, one of the (many) things people picked up on was his lack of reaction, especially when put next to the claim of it being 5/7/10 times.

I just hope to fuck the police can sort this out quickly and it was a misunderstanding. And then the club can sue the living fuck out of those shit rags claiming 'facts' when they were anything but. Cunts.

I'd prefer we just said nothing, allowed the incident to be investigated, and make any comments we have then.

Right now it's open season on us, and no matter what we do we'll be the bad guys.

On this incident, I agree, It's a Police matter.

More generally, we have to take a more pro-active approach.

Well, let's go back a few years for Gordon Taylor...

1994: Taylor says Stuart Pearce's alleged racist abuse of Paul Ince was "in the heat of the moment … Stuart regrets what he said, and he'll be ringing Paul to apologise. Hopefully that will be the end of it."

If we also look at his street sweeping with the Wright - Schmeichel case, he's on course to be ready to address homophobia by 2025.

Depends if he can get sorted with some beak, if so he'll fit right in.

Problem is if half the stories are true, why would anyone doubt racism is alive and well?

If the spotlight remains on us for much longer, you know sooner or later someone is going to stumble across that soft under-belly. I'm sure it exists at all clubs but has been hidden away well enough.

If we don't get this situation under control very soon now that is the kind of thing that will start to surface. And they we will be really fucked.

On this incident, I agree, It's a Police matter.

More generally, we have to take a more pro-active approach.

We are proactive, and have been proactive for the past 20 years, you shouldn't be forgetting all that work just because of the Suarez incident. If you are thinking like that then you are treading a thin line in believe our reaction mirrored our attitudes towards racism.

I know this is being bandied about by people like Roberts and Ouseley but quite frankly it is a baseless and lazy argument, rooted in plain ignorance and arrogance.

We have to continue what we have been doing, the only change I would make is that we should have more black representation within the club hierarchy.

If he's a professional footballer, then the FA should charge him for that.

However I won't hold my breath.

Someone should complain about this. He was on running his mouth off like a little cunt after the Suarez stuff and you he deserves to be made look like the total bandwagon-jumping fuckwit that he is. Whose attention should it be brought to?