You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

short corners

fowler9

Our set pieces are absolutely shite full stop.

We have a team full of so called set piece experts yet our delivery has never been worse. We look totally clueless. Our free kicks around the box very rarely test the keeper, as last night proved. It's fucking embarrassing.

We have a team full of so called set piece experts at their previous clubs who couldn't hit a barn door here, Bellamy excluded. Adam and Suarez were prolific at their past clubs, what the fuck has happened?

Not sure about Suarez being prolific at free kicks at Ajax but Adam certainly came with a reputation for set pieces, remember Fungus saying that his corners were worth £10m? Id rather have Gerrard taking them, and thats saying something.

We have a team full of so called set piece experts yet our delivery has never been worse. We look totally clueless. Our free kicks around the box very rarely test the keeper, as last night proved. It's fucking embarrassing.

We have a team full of so called set piece experts at their previous clubs who couldn't hit a barn door here, Bellamy excluded. Adam and Suarez were prolific at their past clubs, what the fuck has happened?

Usually, I wheel out the you have to have good players attacking the ball line. But we aren't even beating the first man or the wall.

I agree a high percentage of our set pieces are wasted by not clearing the first man or the wall or that they are simply just overhit. I also agree that we have a number of players in the squad whom have shown well at their previous clubs but somehow are unable to replicate that here. Perhaps the bigger problem is that we either don't work hard enough on movement in the box at set pieces, or that we don't have enough players who know how to do this. It often means the delivery in has to be pinpoint for us to have any chance of taking advantage.

One change I'd definitely make, especially if Carroll is playing, is to stop using Skrtel and/or Agger as a screen. Our opponents are wise to this and can put their best players in position to deal with the situation. In addition, our players cannot get a decent run at the ball because they're effectively blocking each other. We've already said the delivery into the box isn't consistent enough. If we spread out our aerial threat, the opposition have to counter this, but it also means we can triple our threat in the penalty area because the ball delivered in doesn't have to be pinpoint all the time.

Also, if we've seen the opposition goalkeeper looks less than assured with the high ball, DON'T let him off the hook by playing a short corner. Half the time we ourselves don't look ready for it.

I agree our set pieces are shit but with regards to short corners they are utter shite for every team, I bet its about one in every fifty that go in and we try it far too often

I'm sick of hearing how good Adam's set pieces are. They are fucking woeful and he needs to be taken off them.

On the short corners topic. I have nothing against them if they are done scarcely and cleverly to catch the other team out but it really pisses me off when we take one where the defender is already over covering. It highlights just how little game intelligence some of our players have.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the signing of Adam but the one thing I thought he would provide was some decent set pieces. Looked like that would be the case too when in his first game he'd set up Suarez to score with a freekick. But they've been completely shite since. Rarely beats the first man from a corner and I don't understand why because whenever I saw Blackpool last season his corners seemed to cause all sorts of problems for the opposition. Agree about the point on short corners too. They seem to largely be a waste of time for pretty much any team with the exception of maybe Barcelona.