You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

razor

Was there a better performance at any of those big 60s/70s festivals?

They were a band at the absolute top of their game. They sounded fantastic even through that fart-box of a sound system, and they looked great.

Daltry looks and sounds incredible. And Townshend is terrifying (ask Abbie Hoffman).

[YOUTUBE]30ktWPrWPDc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

They went on stage at 5am and played as the sun rose. I read somewhere else that they had been spiked - the catering was sprinkled with LSD. Not sure if this is true.

They went on stage at 5am and played as the sun rose. I read somewhere else that they had been spiked - the catering was sprinkled with LSD. Not sure if this is true.

They probably spiked themselves.

Quite simply they are the greatest rock band ever.

Was there a better performance at any of those big 60s/70s festivals?

They were a band at the absolute top of their game. They sounded fantastic even through that fart-box of a sound system, and they looked great.

Daltry looks and sounds incredible. And Townshend is terrifying (ask Abbie Hoffman).

[YOUTUBE]30ktWPrWPDc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I thought 'Ten Years After' put in a good shift at Woodstock an all.

Great performance by The Who but the star of the show was Hendrix. I saw them both at the Isle of wight festival the following year but neither were up to their Woodstock performances.

Impressive. Most impressive!

I think Ten Years After were good, and agree obviously that Hendrix was on-form (though somewhat hindered by the crowd having left for work Monday morning).

But maybe it's also the fact that I get a sense that this just wasn't The Who's audience and they were 'playing away from home', but still managed to blow everyone away.

And on the film, through the feedback and chaos, as they left the stage, that mono-toned MC mumbling "Ladies and gentlemen ................... The Who."

Love it.

They probably spiked themselves.

Quite simply they are the greatest rock band ever.

The greatest rock band really?

Wouldnt even put them on same planet as Zeppelin and theres also the likes of Purple and Sabbath who imo two of the best rock bands as well.

Each to there own of course and there certainly up there amongst the mix for claiming second best ever.

Guest The Chimp
They nearly pulled out as they heard the organisers were broke - they made them pay in cash before they went on. Better than the Live in Leeds LP?

My brother had that on in the car yesterday (Live in Leeds). Superb album.

I wonder why The Who's set at Woodstock has never been released. A lot of other bands have had their Woodstock sets released. Perhaps it's because The Who did not enjoy the experience of playing Woodstock and Townshend has put the blocks on it.

[YOUTUBE]6j9iNV_e1Yw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mJjW_ddjqbI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nwy77e7RHe0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xRZk4-krU0g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ch4YeBC27Pw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vThD7ot9oII[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LMhq1L0cJf0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8e5pptl8QR4[/YOUTUBE]

• 7 years later...

Just a heads up. BBC 4 @ 22:00 tonight.

Woodstock - Three Days that Defined a Generation

For three days in August 1969, half a million people from all walks of life converged on a small dairy farm in upstate New York. They came to hear the concert of their lives, but most experienced something far more profound: a moment that came to define a cultural revolution. This documentary tells the story of the lead-up to those three historic days, through the voices of those who were there and the music of the time. It includes extraordinary moments from the concert itself, iconic images of both performers and festival goers, and tells how this groundbreaking event, pulled off right at the last minute, nearly ended in disaster and put the ideals of the counterculture to the test.

• Upvote 1