You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You see, I expected the worst from those trailers and was actually pleasantly surprised when I finally watched this. It has to be said that I don't know anything about the backstory (outside of what was in the old movies) and their faithfulness, or care for that matter.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the blu ray today. Slightly irritated that i had to buy the 3D "Special Edition" in order to get the majority of extras, but it's definitely worth the extra few quid, as i'm halfway through the 3 & a 1/2 half hour doc "The Furious Gods : The Making of Prometheus" and so far it's been excellent. Watched the deleted scenes and certainly the Fifield/crew fight and Engineer/Shaw fight scenes should have totally been left in the finished cut. The rest are a bit "meh". The transfer itself is amazing. Seriously, the people saying it's the worst film ever etc need to take a step back. It's a highly entertaining movie. Flawed, clearly, but how many movies aren't these days? The only two flawless movies i can think of in the last decade are "District 9" & "Drive" - everything else has holes.

Watched it the other week, can't believe they get away with making this crap. Simply bloody awful to say the least. B movie sci fi and wooden acting to boot. Goes to show how wank a franchise can get with version after version.

• 1 month later...
Yes, it's a good article. I think it touched on some of the reasons why I really enjoyed the film, despite its apparent flaws.

I will spoil the rest of my post, since some still haven't seen it:

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I liked that Ridley Scott tried to give us something different; this isn't a bug movie like the others, if you like it's a bug movie infected with the black goo of 2001. I liked the way the film played with themes of creation and destruction. I liked that characters had their own individual motivations, different to earlier films where there were usually only a couple of agendas at work: mostly 'survive' and, for the less scrupulous, 'acquire organism'.

I'd say the film hinges on its most important character, the android David, and it's a great performance by Fassbender. If you can overlook the odd stupid moment (oh look, an alien snake, let's pretend we're in a petting zoo) and plot holes galore then there's a lot to recommend it.

Oh, and the movie looks great.

What he said. Seriously I can't remember a film that divided opinion so much, some think its utter crap, some think its very good. Personally I really liked it but watched it with low expectations and I'm not an Alien geek boy although I do like them a lot.

But most importantly SD aren't you forgetting someone pretty bloody good in part of your sig ref Rodgers' rating?