You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it that:

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The xenomorphs we all know and love are altered humans or incorporate human genetic material?

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I reckon the worm alien infests the humans and the first chestbursters are xenomorphs, as they take on the genetic material of the host, such as with the dog alien in Alien III.

I reckon the worm alien infests the humans and the first chestbursters are xenomorphs, as they take on the genetic material of the host, such as with the dog alien in Alien III.

Don't forget this is pretty much the explanation of how the Space Jockey ended up on LV-426 in a crashed ship (found by Dallas, Kane and Lambert in the first film and Newts parents 50+ years later) with his chest bust open.

Either what killed the Space Jockey is the 1st gen (the queen from Aliens) or the 2nd gen that happens after the humans are infected. Either way I'd be suprised if the film didn't end with the queens gestation.

Don't forget this is pretty much the explanation of how the Space Jockey ended up on LV-426 in a crashed ship (found by Dallas, Kane and Lambert in the first film and Newts parents 50+ years later) with his chest bust open.

Either what killed the Space Jockey is the 1st gen (the queen from Aliens) or the 2nd gen that happens after the humans are infected. Either way I'd be suprised if the film didn't end with the queens gestation.

I read in the Total Film preview that the queen wasn't originally conceived as being part of the Xenomorph's gestation process, but was presumably added by Cameron in Aliens for the final showdown.

Scott has indicated he's going back to the original story of what Alien was, so I think this will tie things up neatly. I think the xenomorph eggs in Alien are from the crew of the Prometheus, the first of their kind, and for some reason the space jockey was trying to get rid of them. If the last few minutes do feature Xenomorphs, then I imagine it actually centres around the crash itself.

Can't be, the predators are hunting aliens already as seen in Predator 2, as present by the alien skull on the Predator ship. Set yonks before Prometheus.

(unless Ridley chooses to ignore this of course. Can't blame him if he does).

heh, I think it's safe to say Scott will be ignoring all that bollocks.

I remember watching the making of Gladiator, some bloke always stands out in my mind. Crowe kept asking if he could do this and do that, and he had this posh English helper bloke who'd have to ask Scott. Scott would just nod, he couldn't even be arsed opening his mouth.

"Okay? Okay Ridley? Yep, Ridley says okay."

Legend.

heh, I think it's safe to say Scott will be ignoring all that bollocks.

I remember watching the making of Gladiator, some bloke always stands out in my mind. Crowe kept asking if he could do this and do that, and he had this posh English helper bloke who'd have to ask Scott. Scott would just nod, he couldn't even be arsed opening his mouth.

"Okay? Okay Ridley? Yep, Ridley says okay."

Legend.

I think the technical term is a bitch.

Can't beat a bit of Gary Busey though!

The Lions, the Tigers, the Bears. Oh my!

Anyway back on topic....

I read in the Total Film preview that the queen wasn't originally conceived as being part of the Xenomorph's gestation process, but was presumably added by Cameron in Aliens for the final showdown.

True, Cameron introduced the Queen because he realised that there was something missing from the Alien creatures life cycle...egg >> facehugger >> adult form. Where did the eggs come from?

He hypothesised a "hive" culture which required a queen type creature. This also gave him his big set piece ending for the film.

I think the crux here is that Giger and Scott didn't really think about it that much as it wasn't important to their story in ALIEN. They didn't make a fuss about Cameron adding to the mythology and would be a bit churlish for Scott to just bin the whole concept I think.

Anyway, if this story is about the creation of the xenomorphs, it is completely possible that how they would evolve naturally outside controlled conditions, could not have been forseen by the Spacejockeys. In order to survive, one of the creatures would have somehow adapted to lay eggs and so begin the life cycle.

True, Cameron introduced the Queen because he realised that there was something missing from the Alien creatures life cycle...egg >> facehugger >> adult form. Where did the eggs come from?

He hypothesised a "hive" culture which required a queen type creature. This also gave him his big set piece ending for the film.

I think the crux here is that Giger and Scott didn't really think about it that much as it wasn't important to their story in ALIEN. They didn't make a fuss about Cameron adding to the mythology and would be a bit churlish for Scott to just bin the whole concept I think.

They did think about it though, there is a famous deleted scene from Alien where Ripley stumbles upon Dallas and Brett, cocooned into a wall and mutating into an egg, the inference obviously being that the Alien has the ability to somehow genetically mutate its victims as part of the reproductive cycle.

[YOUTUBE]dS5MtzrW1vU[/YOUTUBE]

Of course this being a deleted scene Cameon claims he wasn't aware of it, but I'm not so sure given the similarities between this scene and the scene in Aliens where the cocooned colonist begs to be killed.

Personally I much prefer the egg morphing concept to the hive / Queen, as the latter basically turns the Alien from 'the perfect organism' into cannon fodder for a 'bug hunt'.

As for this film explaining the origins of the Alien, it may well do, but only as a tiny part of the story - we keep being told this explores larger issues and is a 'new, grand mythology'. Also, it would appear that the Alien (I hate the term 'xenomorph') already exists prior to this film, as a mural / carving is in the trailer -

new-prometheus-trailer-2.jpg

Yeah good points ChrisM. Maybe both types of egg production are possible. Until a "queen" creature is hatched, the egg morphing could be a longer stop-gap method?

I know what you mean about Xenomorph. I think that came from the comic series in lieu of anything definitive?

Hopefully Prometheus will give us a proper name.

I like this theory…

From a Prometheus forum...."here's my approach, which nobody seems to have thought of yet:

whoever the SJ are have been killed on their planet, save for one, by something- maybe a the indigenous life on the planet. They've been carrying biological weapons on their ship, which were closed off. Prometheus lands, explores the ship, accidentally releases the biological agent, infecting themselves in the process. The engineer has already tried to prevent the humans from opening the biological agent, and is attempting to sterilize-- wipe them out after they have infected themselves, the agent melds with the already hideous animals of the planet. and kills the engineer, the rest of the crew, etc. It explains just aobut everything-- the engineer getting chest-bursted, Weyland-Yutani already knowing about Z2R and there being alien life forms in the first movie, and keeps the origins of the xenomorph masked enough that you wouldn't have to actually see a xenomorph, just their primitive cousins-- the "DNA" if you will take Scott's analogy literally.

Can't explain the bit about earth yet"

Here's my theory...

Personally I think the Prometheus crew go looking for whatever's on the end of that star map and discover the space jockey's had something to do with mankind's origin. They then take something (possibly something to do with the aliens) they're not supposed to from the space jockey's which incurs their wrath and the space jockey's set out to punish us for this act i.e. attacking earth with a biological weapon. After all the ship and film is named after the dude who stole fire from the gods, I think that dovetails nicely.

Not sure why I'm putting this in a spoiler since it's just idle speculation but oh well

I like the plot device of humans having been "created" by some outside intelligence (2001 comes to mind), I wonder if it's possible that humans and aliens are found to have been created by the same intelligence.

Here's my theory...

Personally I think the Prometheus crew go looking for whatever's on the end of that star map and discover the space jockey's had something to do with mankind's origin. They then take something (possibly something to do with the aliens) they're not supposed to from the space jockey's which incurs their wrath and the space jockey's set out to punish us for this act i.e. attacking earth with a biological weapon. After all the ship and film is named after the dude who stole fire from the gods, I think that dovetails nicely.

That's what the script suggests, or the versions floating around the net anyway.

my take on it

Seems to me that these cave paintings are left by god/the creator (an alien race that spawns civilizations wily nily.

they are a map back to the creators house inviting all the civilizations to turn up when they have the technology to reach the destination.

each civilization would then reach the destination and they would be wiped out as they have become advanced enough to reach the creator and as a result could soon challenge the creator race/ other races on planets.

this would explain the prometheus part as the punishment would only come when a civilization becomes to advanced.

so they have a race back to earth before its blown to smithereens