You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa away match thread

fowler9

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering what we have available, and the big hole in the middle of midfield as we don't really have a proper holding player, I think yesterdays starting formation is the best we have got. It makes the most of our best players and compensates for our limitations.

Bellamy and Downing on the flanks cutting in seems to work well.

If Gerrard comes back soon and plays in Shelveys role then I think we are onto a winner.

Considering what we have available, and the big hole in the middle of midfield as we don't really have a proper holding player, I think yesterdays starting formation is the best we have got. It makes the most of our best players and compensates for our limitations.

If Gerrard comes back soon and plays in Shelveys role then I think we are onto a winner.

Yeah think so too, depending on the opposition obviously. And although Shelvey had a good game which promise more for the future i was thinking that Gerrard would have had an absolute field day in that role.

Tactically we were spot on. None of our midfield three on Saturday are renowned for their ball winning abilities so they played to their strengths and made sure they closed down the ball very quickly. This approach prevented Villa's midfielders from turning / picking a forward pass and they were forced to knock the ball back to their defenders who invariably pumped it long. We mopped up these punts really well and made loads of timely interceptions. Our defenders were also excellent at contesting everything pumped long and challenged for every ball.

This is an approach that I would like to see us adopt in a lot of away games against teams below us in the table - it suits the players that we have available and should be more than enough to secure victory in the majority of matches. Our fullbacks and wide men now offer us genuine width and we have players in central midfield with the ability to spray a raking pass out wide. This style will really stretch teams and if we can manage to get a few more players bursting into the box to finish chances we should be in good shape.

Our defence looks really secure at the moment which is very encouraging as it is the platform upon which all really good teams are built. Our back four and keeper are arguably the best in the league. It was a major blow to lose Lucas but the form of our defence will hopefully help to mitigate his loss. Gerrard's impending return will surely help our fluency and potency in attack and, barring a long term suspension for Suarez, we have every chance of having a very strong second half to the season.

I really hope we don't succumb to our Achilles heel and concede silly points to Wigan, Blackburn or Newcastle in our next three games. If we can pick up maximum points we should be in great shape to challenge for a European place.

I always thought Agger was overrated but under Kenny he's been a beast. He's made 19 starts (not including times he's gone off early injured) under Dalglish. In those 19 games we have kept 10 clean sheets and only conceded 10 goals. I still don't 100% trust Skrtel but somehow Agger brings out the best in him.

Oh dear, another one for the Villa boo-boys to vent their ire at. Shopping now more important than being at the game even if he is injured.

Bent goes shopping during game

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent has issued an apology on Twitter after fans registered their displeasure as a picture, apparently of the striker shopping on Sunday, surfaced online.

GettyImages

Darren Bent missed Sunday's game against Liverpool.

Villa lost their game against Liverpool 2-0 and were second best for much of the game in the absence of the suspended Gabriel Agbonlahor and strike partner Bent who picked up a thigh injury in training on Tuesday.

Manager Alex McLeish kept Bent's injury under wraps from the media ahead of the game and defended his decision after the game.

He said: ''Darren had a scan during the week. It confirmed he had a grade one injury, I didn't reveal it because I wanted to keep things back from Liverpool.

''You have to understand that. I didn't want Liverpool knowing our starting line-up. If players are injured, I don't necessarily think we have to declare that they are injured.''

But Bent was forced to respond to criticism on the social networking site after he was seen picking up some last-minute Christmas shopping while the game was on.

He said: ''Nothing is more important to me than playing football, sadly injury meant I wasn't able to do that today. Gutted not to be involved.

''I hope to be back very soon. Watched the majority of the game on TV. Never knew popping out would cause an issue and for that I apologise.''

Jonathan Fear, editor of fans' website, Vital Villa, said: "If Darren was told to go home by the club doctors then that explains things and why he wasn't at the game. But even if he does care for Villa, symbolically going out shopping during the latter part of the game makes it look to the fans that he doesn't give a stuff for Villa.''

Oh dear' date=' another one for the Villa boo-boys to vent their ire at. Shopping now more important than being at the game even if he is injured.

Blah blah blah blah ....

Jonathan Fear, editor of fans' website, Vital Villa, said: "If Darren was told to go home by the club doctors then that explains things and why he wasn't at the game. But even if he does care for Villa, symbolically going out shopping during the latter part of the game makes it [b']blatantly obvious to everyone [/b] that he doesn't give a stuff for Villa.''

fixed

Playing those three midfielders allowed us to dominate and control possession, and limited the opportunities Villa had to virtually zero. We don't need holding midfield players in 8 out if 10 games when we have midfielders with energy, dynamism, creativity and appetite.

Playing those three midfielders allowed us to dominate and control possession, and limited the opportunities Villa had to virtually zero. We don't need holding midfield players in 8 out if 10 games when we have midfielders with energy, dynamism, creativity and appetite.

Well there was a 20 minute period in the first half after we went 2 up were Villa had a lot of space in between our midfield and back 4.

But in all honesty they did fuck all with it, they just shot wildly from distance because they had no ability to break down our defence.

It'd be a lie to suggest we missed Lucas in that game, we really didn't, but I don't think thats going to hold true for other games to come.

Or, it takes two midfielders to replace 1 lucas.

Well there was a 20 minute period in the first half after we went 2 up were Villa had a lot of space in between our midfield and back 4.

But in all honesty they did fuck all with it, they just shot wildly from distance because they had no ability to break down our defence.

It'd be a lie to suggest we missed Lucas in that game, we really didn't, but I don't think thats going to hold true for other to come.

Agree with this. Only just watched the game and there were times when N'zogbia in particular found himself room between the back four and the midfielders.

Against better quality we may need to be tighter. That said I don't want to appear negative as the 2nd half was another great example of the teams growing confidence.

The balance of the side yesterday looked great with Bellamy, MOM for me, linking so well with Enrique while Downing had a very good game I thought linking well with Johnson. Young Shelvey done ok and I was made up to see him get a game proving that Kenny has no worries about throwing a pup in if he thinks it right. Has the little genius gone a game without nutmegging someone. Looked a little tired late on. Not surprising the efforts he puts in. Really unlucky.

All in all a good win. Got to keep it going

Or, it takes two midfielders to replace 1 lucas.

:) That may be your understanding of the situation, but I saw three midfielders all regularly contributing to our forward play, all prepared to make surging runs in support of the front line, keeping Villa on the back foot, and all prepared to have a shot at goal. The 1 Lucas would likely have operated in a band 15 yards either side of the halfway line. We were better off without him on Sunday.

Agree with this. Only just watched the game and there were times when N'zogbia in particular found himself room between the back four and the midfielders.

Against better quality we may need to be tighter. That said I don't want to appear negative as the 2nd half was another great example of the teams growing confidence.

The balance of the side yesterday looked great with Bellamy, MOM for me, linking so well with Enrique while Downing had a very good game I thought linking well with Johnson. Young Shelvey done ok and I was made up to see him get a game proving that Kenny has no worries about throwing a pup in if he thinks it right. Has the little genius gone a game without nutmegging someone. Looked a little tired late on. Not surprising the efforts he puts in. Really unlucky.

All in all a good win. Got to keep it going

I agree with all of that. Horses for courses, there will be times when we need to tighten up in the midfield, and we may have to adopt a more conventional holding midfielder. Playing a holding midfielder in against weaker teams constrains the team unnecessarily imo.

I agree with all of that. Horses for courses, there will be times when we need to tighten up in the midfield, and we may have to adopt a more conventional holding midfielder. Playing a holding midfielder in against weaker teams constrains the team unnecessarily imo.

At least we're not talking about two defensive midfielders against them any more. Small steps.

:) That may be your understanding of the situation, but I saw three midfielders all regularly contributing to our forward play, all prepared to make surging runs in support of the front line, keeping Villa on the back foot, and all prepared to have a shot at goal. The 1 Lucas would likely have operated in a band 15 yards either side of the halfway line. We were better off without him on Sunday.

That's all well and good but you had to sacrifice a forward for it. I'd take Maxi over symmetry of roles any day thanks.

What does Kenny see in them then do you reckon?

Oh dear' date=' another one for the Villa boo-boys to vent their ire at. Shopping now more important than being at the game even if he is injured.

Bent goes shopping during game

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent has issued an apology on Twitter after fans registered their displeasure as a picture, apparently of the striker shopping on Sunday, surfaced online.

GettyImages

Darren Bent missed Sunday's game against Liverpool.

Villa lost their game against Liverpool 2-0 and were second best for much of the game in the absence of the suspended Gabriel Agbonlahor and strike partner Bent who picked up a thigh injury in training on Tuesday.

Manager Alex McLeish kept Bent's injury under wraps from the media ahead of the game and defended his decision after the game.

He said: ''Darren had a scan during the week. It confirmed he had a grade one injury, I didn't reveal it because I wanted to keep things back from Liverpool.

''You have to understand that. I didn't want Liverpool knowing our starting line-up. If players are injured, I don't necessarily think we have to declare that they are injured.''

But Bent was forced to respond to criticism on the social networking site after he was seen picking up some last-minute Christmas shopping while the game was on.

He said: ''Nothing is more important to me than playing football, sadly injury meant I wasn't able to do that today. Gutted not to be involved.

''I hope to be back very soon. Watched the majority of the game on TV. Never knew popping out would cause an issue and for that I apologise.''

Jonathan Fear, editor of fans' website, Vital Villa, said: "If Darren was told to go home by the club doctors then that explains things and why he wasn't at the game. But even if he does care for Villa, symbolically going out shopping during the latter part of the game makes it look to the fans that he doesn't give a stuff for Villa.''

To be fair, It's got to be fucking hard to give a shit about Villa.

And I have seen in both this game and Fulham how the opposition have been given loads of time to shoot at a range of 20-25 yards. It cost us against Fulham and it will cost us again.

That's all well and good but you had to sacrifice a forward for it. I'd take Maxi over symmetry of roles any day thanks.

How many games has Maxi started this season when we've played a holding midfielder? There's no guarantee he'd have played. We won 2-0. We've dropped loads of points this season playing with a holding midfielder. I'm not suggesting there's a hard and fast rule here - play a holding midfielder in games against stronger teams, or where tactically it is appropriate - but it seems perverse to bemoan the lack of a holding midfielder in an away game that we dominated and won comfortably.

What does Kenny see in them then do you reckon?

You'll have to ask him. Why does he choose not to play Maxi very often? Why did he spend 35m on Carroll? Why did people think he was obsessed with 4-4-2 and was too out-of-touch to adapt his tactics earlier in the season? You'll have to ask them.

You're implying that I think holding midfielders are a bad idea. I'm not. I do think that we are good enough to impose our tactics and way of thinking on the opposition where that opposition is palpably weaker than us.

And I have seen in both this game and Fulham how the opposition have been given loads of time to shoot at a range of 20-25 yards. It cost us against Fulham and it will cost us again.

I'm sure you're right. I've seen us struggle to break down mediocre opposition and concede goals when playing with a holding midfielder. It cost us against Sunderland, Norwich etc and it will cost us again.

You'll have to ask him. Why does he choose not to play Maxi very often? Why did he spend 35m on Carroll? Why did people think he was obsessed with 4-4-2 and was too out-of-touch to adapt his tactics earlier in the season? You'll have to ask them.

You're implying that I think holding midfielders are a bad idea. I'm not. I do think that we are good enough to impose our tactics and way of thinking on the opposition where that opposition is palpably weaker than us.

I only wondered why you thought non-professionals the world over repeat the affirmation "you don't need 'em against most teams" and professionals the world over continue picking them against most teams.

How many games has Maxi started this season when we've played a holding midfielder? There's no guarantee he'd have played. We won 2-0. We've dropped loads of points this season playing with a holding midfielder. I'm not suggesting there's a hard and fast rule here - play a holding midfielder in games against stronger teams, or where tactically it is appropriate - but it seems perverse to bemoan the lack of a holding midfielder in an away game that we dominated and won comfortably.

If we'd played 2 against their 2, dominated them; and they'd all defended as well as Lucas and attacked as well as Adam then I could understand your glee. But all we did was out number them and surprise, surprise we had a spare man. We had to sacrifice our 442 for that.

Why did we sacrifice the 442 we used away against Chelsea for example? For the abstract quality of symmetry of roles? Or, because you have to replace 1 lucas with two midfielders?

If we'd played 2 against their 2, dominated them; and they'd all defended as well as Lucas and attacked as well as Adam then I could understand your glee. But all we did was out number them and surprise, surprise we had a spare man. We had to sacrifice our 442 for that.

Why did we sacrifice the 442 we used away against Chelsea for example? For the abstract quality of symmetry of roles? Or, because you have to replace 1 lucas with two midfielders?

Neither of the above. Which of those two options do you think it was?

We played with fluidity, creativity and control. We won. You might come to the conclusion at some point that it's not worth repeatedly punching your own bruise.

I've watched Villa three times recently, against us, scum and swansea and very time they've been fucking appalling and easily the worst side in the Premier League at the moment from my recent experiences of watching full games

shows how shit the rest are when they're tenth