You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa away match thread

fowler9

During a 15-20 minute spell in the second half we played as well as we've done all season. Overall we didnt look all that fussed, but we had the lead 2-0 so it's to be expected we wanted to hit them on the break, which never really worked out for us today.

It's so frustrating to see us miss all these chances, we should have won this 5-0, easily. But 3 points is all that matters in the end.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good result, and solid performance, a 2-0 win away from home is always welcome.

It is difficult to draw too many broader conclusions against a very poor Villa side, but these sides need to be despatched, and that is what we did.

Like others, I was disappointed to see Carroll make so little impact against a defeated opposition, hope is wearing thin now for him coming good.

How boss is our defence? They just don't let the opposition create chances, although Villa were woeful today.

I think Skrtel is the best centre back in the league at the moment, great header for the goal and he was so solid at the back.

Both Johnson and Enrique were bombing down the flanks, Johnson in particular today made some stunning forward runs and is in top form.

The first 15 / 20 minutes we were superb and deservedly scored two goals. Didn't think they'd come from set plays though as our movement was brilliant. How many goals have we scored in open play this season? Not many, I suspect.

Lovely flick from Jonjo for the Bellamy goal - I'm sure Downing (or was it Adam?) didn't mean to hit the corner like that, but Jonjo and Bellamy made something out of it. Also great cross and header from Bellamy and Skrtel.

Thought Suarez was quiet today by his incredibly high standards, then agin he still should have scored a goal when he hit the bar and he also hit the pst with a lovely chip.

Downing did his usual shift and has looked exactly what he has all season. Good player, tidy in possession - but he doesn't really threaten enough and that is why I'd always have Maxi or Bellamy ahead of him in the team out wide.

Thought Bellamy was superb and I'd have him man of the match, just pipping Skrtel and Johnson who were the other stand out players in the team for me. Bellamy was just such a threat when he got the ball and he must be a nightmare to play against with his pace and movement.

Shelvey did OK, but I think there is much more to come from him. I'm not sure that is his best position playing behind Suarez, but he was effective. I think his future will be more of a box to box midfielder - but he'll have competition for that role with Henderson getting better all the time.

Adam was worrying me with his tackling today. Mainly because when he gets a yellow he still flies into challenges.

But overall a good start to this busy period. No injuries, we could give Suarez a little rest, a clean sheet and we didn't need to get out of second gear after the second goal went in. Comfortable day at the office.

Think Gerrard will make a massive difference when he returns, especially if we play him in the role Shelvey played today. He is the man to link up with Suarez and produce the little magic we are missing at times in the final third of the pitch.

Something I liked about Downing today: when we lost the ball in their half, he comes bombing back to chase down the Villa player in possession and is able to make up at least 20 yards on the winger. I can't believe he's that fast. Sometimes, he just seems completely out of it. But that moment, and other times when he was running down the wing, I was impressed.

Something I liked about Downing today: when we lost the ball in their half, he comes bombing back to chase down the Villa player in possession and is able to make up at least 20 yards on the winger. I can't believe he's that fast. Sometimes, he just seems completely out of it. But that moment, and other times when he was running down the wing, I was impressed.

Off the ball I think hes been very good, supports Johnson superbly and links up well with him and he puts in a good shift every game.

The team is a joy to watch this season, admittedly the lack of a cutting edge in front of goal has been frustrating as hell but after the last few years of shite on and off the pitch, it's great to be talking about nothing but the team.

Agree with the comments about downing, he's been like that for most of the season, started off OK but his form has dipped and dipped and dipped. He's scared, never wants the ball and never looks to take his man on, however unlike Carroll I think it's just form and he can easily turn it around.

You are the one who hammers Dirk and Lucas when we win so what are your issues? We might be able to help.

Notice you've gone quiet on your "Carragher is perfect" stuff aswell nowadays!

What are you talking about? Kuyt iis crap in almost every game. I havent had a moan about Lucas for ages because guess what? He's been playing well. Show me the last post in which i 'moaned' about Lucas. And if you can find a 'carragher is perfect' post I've ever made, then show me it, otherwise stop making stuff up you retarded goon. Players should play on merit. Players' performances should be judged on merit. And when the team as a whole plays well, and win, people should be happy about it. No one had a bad game today.

What are you talking about? Kuyt iis crap in almost every game. I havent had a moan about Lucas for ages because guess what? He's been playing well. Show me the last post in which i 'moaned' about Lucas. And if you can find a 'carragher is perfect' post I've ever made, then show me it, otherwise stop making stuff up you retarded goon. Players should play on merit. Players' performances should be judged on merit. And when the team as a whole plays well, and win, people should be happy about it. No one had a bad game today.

I'm pretty sure he's "wearethebest" who I quite liked actually. Did you have problems with him?

I've been one of Downings harshest critics and thought although he was hit and miss today i've seen him play worse for us, did ok.

He was fine.

Works very hard and keeps the ball. But he isn't really a match winner or a goal threat.

It was a typical Downing performance for us. He is a good player, just not a great one.

Relax fella! Jeez.

You are saying anyone who is moaning after a win has issues yet you've spent the last 3-4 years moaning about Kuyt after every single win. A bit hypocritical thats all, though I agree, theres not much to moan about.

It is great looking at our side recently, we look so fit and mobile. This is especially clear without Carroll in the side.

I really think when Gerrard returns, if he can hit top form he might change our side from a very good one to a special one!

Big fan of Adam, think he's a class act but he is a very selfish player today and fulham are examples of him going for glory rather than do what's best for the team. In interviews he says he sets a goal target each season, something I find very odd for a CM.

I was always taught to shoot if you had a clear sight at goal, so I have no problem with Adam taking on the shot there. Also I think it's good that he is looking to chip in with goals as a midfielder, after all our forwards are hardly prolific.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Really happy with the win, and it could quite clearly have been by a wider margin. Bellamy played well and I'm now pretty glad he's in the squad. With Carroll doing so poorly, we're actually lucky to have him. Downing wasn't very good, but he's working and working, so I'm not going to worry too much. Suarez was unlucky, like he has been on a number of occasions.

Onwards. Upwards.

I think the most pleasing thing about us this season has been how consistent we've been, even when then final result has gone against us. We play good attacking football in every game, create shed loads of chances and concede very few. This is the base of an exceptional team and I believe with a few tweaks here and there we will be very close to some major honours next season. I think a cup and 4th place would be perfect this season though and its a very realistic target.

Good times!