You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How boss is Martin Skrtel.

LFC 6 Times

I really rated him in his first season here. He was an animal.

Not 100% sure but I think his form dipped after England battered Slovakia and then he never recovered properly after the injury.

Then there was Hodgson *sigh*

Always had the talent, in my opinion.

I really rated him in his first season here. He was an animal.

Not 100% sure but I think his form dipped after England battered Slovakia and then he never recovered properly after the injury.

Then there was Hodgson *sigh*

Always had the talent, in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking - he had a real mare in that game and I think his confidence was destroyed. Clearly some top coaching/confidence-building going on. He's become a far better player than I thought possible, always saw him as a squad player. Glen Johnson shows similar improvement - the defensive part of his game is unrecognisable. Steve Clarke is instrumental in all this I imagine.

I remember he made his debut against Havant & Waterloo or whatever they were called and he had a bit of a culture shock playing against plumbers/postmen/electricians and for the rest of the season that game was brought up as the yardstick as how he played. Where's yer Havant tapes now you biased bastards?

Guest ShoePiss
Pretty disgusting there's about 3 instances of Carra bashing to praise Skrtel.

Thick cunts.

It's not necessary and his performances are all that's needed to earn praise but I only count one and I took it to be taking the piss out of the people saying Carra is the best defender at the club.

"Carra is better, derp" is the one I noticed, didn't see any others.

I've never understood the level of abuse Skrtel has taken over the past few seasons. He's never been half as bad as people make out, and this 'accident waiting to happen' tag which is commonly leveled against him, well, he's been no more of an accident than any other of our defenders have been at times.

Like Lucas, people are now recognising that he's actually a bloody good player who's in the team on merit. He's been playing well for a good while now, but admittedly looks even better since Kenny and Clarke have got their hands on him.

His biggest improvement for me has been the attacking side of his game. He's now a big threat from set pieces and is a lot more comfortable in possession.

• 1 month later...
Was that his best performance for us?

I don´t think so...He had fair share of excellent games in 08-09 season when we finished 2nd and he was mainstay in defence.

He had a good game yesterday but he is putting these kind of performances fo more than a year now. I think he had only 2 bad games during last 12 months...one being West Ham away and the 2nd at White Hart Line He used to be consistenly inconsistent in Rafa´s last season and couple of months under Roy but now it is hard to find someone more consistent than him in whole league.

Just look at Morse´s player of season game. He is in top three in every game since end of november bar Oldham game where he was rested. And he was excellent in every game at CB since September but it lasted few weeks until people started to rate him again and give him credit he deserves, because in thruth,during last 18 or so months it was trendy to slate Skrtel for everything by a large part of the "fans".

I've never understood the level of abuse Skrtel has taken over the past few seasons. He's never been half as bad as people make out, and this 'accident waiting to happen' tag which is commonly leveled against him, well, he's been no more of an accident than any other of our defenders have been at times.

Not true. He was pretty awful for a while. Especially Rafa's last season and under Hodgson. If you go back and have a look at some of the goals we conceded in that period he was involved with far too many of them. His defending of crosses was absolutely terrible. He just seemed to have no interest in the balls flying in.

• 2 weeks later...
Not true. He was pretty awful for a while. Especially Rafa's last season and under Hodgson. If you go back and have a look at some of the goals we conceded in that period he was involved with far too many of them. His defending of crosses was absolutely terrible. He just seemed to have no interest in the balls flying in.

This. I think the criticism he received was warranted, and he absolutely deteriorated during Hodgon's spell. Blackburn away was absolutely dreadful and the culmination of his downward spiral in my opinion. I don't think anyone would have protested if we'd sold him 13 months ago.

The revival under Dalglish has been astonishing and I'm extremely happy for him - seems like a great guy with real desire and pride.