You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

Regarding f above

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Pious_Christians_Against_Shellfish

You couldn't make this shit up.

I'm sure I read somewhere that all the religious rules about food are basically Health & Safety rules (gone mad).

Everyone knows shellfish can be dodgy especially if you're shitting in rivers and pigs had a very widespread parasite that's only killed when meat is cooked above a certain temperature- difficult to gauge on a fire. So the rules were don't eat them as you may die.

I love that they're described as "Hate Preachers" when they're just saying stuff that's in the Bible, because nearly nobody has the intellectual courage to take the tiny logical step of describing the Bible as hate speech.

To be fair the second book is a lot more mellow than the first, too much smiting and plagues, until the hippy takes over.

I'm sure I read somewhere that all the religious rules about food are basically Health & Safety rules (gone mad).

Everyone knows shellfish can be dodgy especially if you're shitting in rivers and pigs had a very widespread parasite that's only killed when meat is cooked above a certain temperature- difficult to gauge on a fire. So the rules were don't eat them as you may die.

Sounds unlikely.

It's far more convincing that a beardy man in the sky doesn't want us to eat it. I presume it's because he wants all of the bacon to himself. 

Matthew 5:17

Did the Jesus fella kill anyone, smite anyone, or put a plague of locusts or any of that shite? He was generally a good egg, who made sure everyone got a bevy and a feed, brought a few people back from deaths door and kicked the money lenders out. Son of god? Only in the same way as we all are, hung out with some ne're do wells and a hooker. Not his fault people have been killling in his name for a couple of Millenia, I think he was pretty progressive kind of fella.

Plus I'm sure if you got a few different people to tell stories of say Einstein or Shankly or Nietzsche or Lincoln, three them through babelfish a couple of times into Ancient Greek, then olde englishe, you'd end up with a bit of a distortion on the message.

I'm not a religious man, but to hang out the Jesus fella is a bit poor form.

• Upvote 1

Did the Jesus fella kill anyone, smite anyone, or put a plague of locusts or any of that shite? He was generally a good egg, who made sure everyone got a bevy and a feed, brought a few people back from deaths door and kicked the money lenders out. Son of god? Only in the same way as we all are, hung out with some ne're do wells and a hooker. Not his fault people have been killling in his name for a couple of Millenia, I think he was pretty progressive kind of fella.

Plus I'm sure if you got a few different people to tell stories of say Einstein or Shankly or Nietzsche or Lincoln, three them through babelfish a couple of times into Ancient Greek, then olde englishe, you'd end up with a bit of a distortion on the message.

I'm not a religious man, but to hang out the Jesus fella is a bit poor form.

Nah, he was one of those "my dad's dead hard" gobshites. "No one enters the kingdom of God except through me" basically translates as you'll all burn in hell forever unless I tell my dad that you're ok

Nah, he was one of those "my dad's dead hard" gobshites. "No one enters the kingdom of God except through me" basically translates as you'll all burn in hell forever unless I tell my dad that you're ok

I reckon he was mistranslated, gathered the folks around and said look I know the doorman don't act the cunt and we'll all get in.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Wasn't sure where to put this.  Another skeleton in the closet of the Catholic church

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/07/catholic-church-children-buried-at-tuam-ireland

It has been confirmed that significant numbers of children’s remains lie in a mass grave adjacent to a former home for unmarried mothers run by the Bon Secours Sisters in Tuam, County Galway. This is exactly where local historian Catherine Corless, who was instrumental in bringing the mass grave to light, said they would be. A state-established commission of inquiry into mother and baby homes recently located the site in a structure that “appears to be related to the treatment/containment of sewage and/or waste water”, but which we are not supposed to call a septic tank.

• 3 months later...

The boy was circumcised in July 2013 when he was three months old, and apparently staying with his paternal grandparents, who are Muslim.

His mother originally contacted social services, then contacted Nottinghamshire Police on 24 November 2014.

There was an investigation but the force deemed it not to be a criminal matter, and the case was referred to the General Medical Council.

I can't find the link again but there are lines of thought that if you wiped out all religion and all evidence of it, the human mind is such that we would just reinvent it in time. We are built to have faith so i find it's a bit pointless pissing and moaning about it. Humans with or without organised religion have a great propensity to be cunts.

Close the thread.

I think that's misrepresenting it a little bit. It's done for medical reasons as well as religious reasons. On top of that, the doctor shouldn't have allowed it if he didn't have permission from the guardian, IMO.

Having read a little more, I realised I had misinterpreted things I had heard before. I thought circumcision was carried out a lot more for general medical and hygiene reasons rather than just a few very specific ones. It seems I was wrong.

Lock them all up.

Cardinal George Pell (3rd from the top) charged with historic sex offences. Cunt.

When I was on jury duty a couple of years ago the case was historic abuse in a catholic boys school in Ballarat, which is where Pell was a priest. There has been a lot from that time and town come to light and he's been dodging accusations for years that he helped cover it up.

It's become rather political down here too, in that right wing politicians and commentators have supported him and reckon it's all a lefty atheist beat up. I can see any Pell trial (if it happens) becoming very complicated.

I can't find the link again but there are lines of thought that if you wiped out all religion and all evidence of it, the human mind is such that we would just reinvent it in time. 

That is not how it works though. Religion and mythos is intrinsically linked to human history, you can't just wipe it out or all evidence of it or even pretend to do it or make assumptions based on doing it. One of the best parts in "Dialectic of Enlightenment" is the thesis that "Mythos is the first step to demythologization". Very brief and simply put: When people started believing that "God throws rods of lighning when there is a thunderstorm" they were using their rationality as opposed to just running and hiding. Because they started looking for a cause, they understood the concept of a cause. And from then on it has been a struggle of ever so gradually developing rationality vs the mythos it initially created (and other opponents as well of course).

"We are built to have faith" - that is simply not true, I don't have any faith and I know plenty of people who don't have any either.

I can't find the link again but there are lines of thought that if you wiped out all religion and all evidence of it, the human mind is such that we would just reinvent it in time. We are built to have faith so i find it's a bit pointless pissing and moaning about it. Humans with or without organised religion have a great propensity to be cunts.

Close the thread.

Maybe in an historic sense but it's not necessary now. Do away with it all!!!

(I know that's impossible and I don't care which God you love as long as it doesn't impact on anyone else)