You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

Faith is a personal belief.

Religion is the formal practices / rigmarole / hoops to jump through associated with an organised, formalised belief system.

Faith is about God, religion is about 'man'.

Ironically, Jesus hated religion.

"I come to FULFILL the law," (Jesus, New Testamont)

The law of a religion, IS the religion

• 3 months later...

A bloke I used to work with is a friend on Facebook.  He is also a hardcore God-botherer.  He's just posted this.

ISIS are now in Gaza threatening women and writers with death. This could be the thing (a common enemy) which brings about peace between Israel and her immediate enemies prior to the attack from Russia and Iran (Ezekiel 38) against Israel, then described as a nation "living at peace and without walls". 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Are-Witnessing-Death-Throes-Islam/dp/1497412668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417780098&sr=8-1&keywords=death+throes+of+islam

I'm just going to stroll away from that...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Maybe he meant without Walls, the ice cream manufacturing outfit?

I'm sure we can all agree, that's not a world we want our kids to live in.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Here's one for all atheists to "enjoy".

Some bloke who used to work in our place was a bit of a God-botherer, but always seemed a harmless and pleasant enough old duffer.  Since he's retired, I've kept in touch with him on Facebook.  Turns out, he's a full-on millennial fundamentalist, who loves all the Middle Eastern bloodletting, as he sees prophesies being fulfilled and reckons his God is on his way back.  "It's in Revelation, people!!!"  He's even had a book of this shite published.

I've been quite polite with him so far, but today he posted this evil racist shit.

In Genesis 16 Abraham prophesied over Ishmael that he would be a wild donkey of a man and that his descendants (the Arabs) would be forever fighting their brothers - One more evidence that the Bible is God's word. smile emoticon
Esau (also a forerunner of the Arab nations) despised the inheritance (including the so called 'occupied territories') 
Yet the world's leaders, because of their inexplicable hatred of the Jews, are determined to give that inheritance to the Arabs.
Muslims have Mecca and Medina - Why can't they let the Jews have Jerusalem? Zechariah prophesied 2,500 years ago that the day is coming when all nations will attack Jerusalem and on that day the Jews will recognise Yeshua (Jesus) . Why wait till it's in the newspapers - you can read tomorrow's headlines right now in Zechariah 12.

I called him on it and he came back with this.

Tell me this Mal - I know there are exceptions - but 9/11 was Saudi Arabs, 7/7 was Arabs - Libya, Egypt, Eritrea, Syria, Iraq etc are Arabs killing one another. And now in Israel - even relatively well off Arabs are stabbing innocent people on buses. Nothing to do with KKK - but whether you like it or agree with it or not - that is what is happening my friend. Meanwhile Germany and Sweden are seeking to conceal the figures relating to crime by immigrants.

Somehow, it's the "I know there are exceptions" that really annoyed me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Here's one for all atheists to "enjoy".

Some bloke who used to work in our place was a bit of a God-botherer, but always seemed a harmless and pleasant enough old duffer.  Since he's retired, I've kept in touch with him on Facebook.  Turns out, he's a full-on millennial fundamentalist, who loves all the Middle Eastern bloodletting, as he sees prophesies being fulfilled and reckons his God is on his way back.  "It's in Revelation, people!!!"  He's even had a book of this shite published.

I've been quite polite with him so far, but today he posted this evil racist shit.

In Genesis 16 Abraham prophesied over Ishmael that he would be a wild donkey of a man and that his descendants (the Arabs) would be forever fighting their brothers - One more evidence that the Bible is God's word. smile emoticon

Esau (also a forerunner of the Arab nations) despised the inheritance (including the so called 'occupied territories') 

Yet the world's leaders, because of their inexplicable hatred of the Jews, are determined to give that inheritance to the Arabs.

Muslims have Mecca and Medina - Why can't they let the Jews have Jerusalem? Zechariah prophesied 2,500 years ago that the day is coming when all nations will attack Jerusalem and on that day the Jews will recognise Yeshua (Jesus) . Why wait till it's in the newspapers - you can read tomorrow's headlines right now in Zechariah 12.

I called him on it and he came back with this.

Tell me this Mal - I know there are exceptions - but 9/11 was Saudi Arabs, 7/7 was Arabs - Libya, Egypt, Eritrea, Syria, Iraq etc are Arabs killing one another. And now in Israel - even relatively well off Arabs are stabbing innocent people on buses. Nothing to do with KKK - but whether you like it or agree with it or not - that is what is happening my friend. Meanwhile Germany and Sweden are seeking to conceal the figures relating to crime by immigrants.

Somehow, it's the "I know there are exceptions" that really annoyed me.

Mag to grid. 

All religion beggars belief and should of disappeared years ago, its to incredible to contemplate. But yet it still exists somehow, like when it crops up on programmes of debate and the like I have to hit the off button as its too painful to watch and listen to people arguing about utter fucking bollocks.   Doesn't faith cover plenty of things and not just supernatural beings ?     

• Upvote 2

Even if we don't believe in religion/gods/ethereal beings we are still under the instruction of these religions because they are so pervasive in society, the ten commandments, apart from the divine ones, are the basis for the laws and customs in this, and damn near every other, country.

Now the question that should be asked is are these divine prescriptions of an omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent god, or are they the response of humans to the difficulties of existence? Have humans worked out a theory of morals, over millennia and unwittingly that is a benefit to most, some will obviously be excluded, through selfish and altruistic actions, or have we an inherent set of predefined moral standards, which emotions convey?

For me the world we have created is the culmination of trial and error of each and every person who has ever existed, mental evolution, and is based on all the teaching which appeal and the one's we have expunged.

The basis for every world religion is about peace and sacrifice, it may be a generalisation, but it's pretty true, and collectively that is in the best interests of everybody.

I think the basis of every religion is control and the establishment of unimpeachable authourity. 

• Upvote 2

Even if we don't believe in religion/gods/ethereal beings we are still under the instruction of these religions because they are so pervasive in society, the ten commandments, apart from the divine ones, are the basis for the laws and customs in this, and damn near every other, country.

Now the question that should be asked is are these divine prescriptions of an omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent god, or are they the response of humans to the difficulties of existence? Have humans worked out a theory of morals, over millennia and unwittingly that is a benefit to most, some will obviously be excluded, through selfish and altruistic actions, or have we an inherent set of predefined moral standards, which emotions convey?

For me the world we have created is the culmination of trial and error of each and every person who has ever existed, mental evolution, and is based on all the teaching which appeal and the one's we have expunged.

The basis for every world religion is about peace and sacrifice, it may be a generalisation, but it's pretty true, and collectively that is in the best interests of everybody.

This is a great post, particularly the last sentence. My views on religion, and faith as a whole, have assuaged as I've grown older. I, like most, went to Catholic school, did all the usual shite you do as a kid with communion and whatever, and then through my teenage years and early twenties got quite angry at the fact that you're brought up to believe in something that you're not only too young to understand, but also have no say in as a child. I would say that I was very much a militant atheist, because it was - and is - convenient to blame religion for the ills of the world.

That said, as you get older and experience things as an adult, you appreciate how difficult life can be and how much of a struggle it is to sometimes to just get through the day. And for a lot of people on this planet, faith, religion, however you want to label it, helps give them the hope and the strength to not only survive, but in a lot of cases it inspires them to turn their own lives around, to admit their mistakes and become better people, and even, in turn, help others. I don't believe that they do it because they are people of faith and their god told them to, I believe that they do it because they are inherently decent people, but sometimes you need a cause or an incentive to dedicate your life to and if religion is how you get it then hey, all the best. The ten commandments, for example, are guidelines to just being a nice person; they're not something exclusive to Christianity. 

My personal opinion is that I find all religions equally ridiculous, for the very simple reason that there is no irrefutable evidence to prove that any of them are real. Too much bad shit goes on in the world and too many good, innocent people suffer for me to believe that there is a higher being who created us, who has the power to stop all the pain and suffering and yet for millenniums had allowed it to continue. He's either fictional, or he's real and he's the biggest cunt to ever exist. Either way, it is nothing that is worth wasting my time and effort on. But then I see people like Richard Dawkins and Ricky Gervais being aggressive towards those who believe in some sort of God and they're just as insufferable and dangerous as those who use religion as an excuse to spout their own bigotry.

Will I be getting my child baptised and putting them through all that shit I went through in Catholic School? No. Will I support them if they choose to devote themselves to a religion when they're old enough to make their own decisions? Yes. Because, ultimately, who am I to tell others what to believe in? I believe that you're born, you live, then you die. It's an equally terrifying thought to there being another life beyond this, the quality of which is determined by what you accomplish when you're here. Everything that happens in this world is down to people: there are good people, evil people, peaceful people, violent people. We're all fundamentally flawed.

I have no theory on how we were created or how we've developed as a species, and I don't particularly care. Nor do I care about your gender, age, where you were born, whether you enjoy a fish dinner or you like a dick in your arse, whether you pray to Barney the fucking Dinosaur, or believe we are all controlled by reptilian overlords. I judge people on whether they're a prick or not, anything else is irrelevant. What helps you find happiness is all that's important, and it's something that people sadly lose sight of at times. As long as you don't try and force your beliefs on others, try to treat others with decency and are generally tolerant of those with differing views to you, that's all that really matters. Otherwise, it turns out, you're a soft cunt, a complete waste of oxygen, and the primary cause of all the bad shit that goes on in the world, so well done.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree, but the sentence in the final paragraph "As long as..." is the one all the major religions have real trouble with.

See, I don't believe all the major religions have trouble with it at all - although, to be fair, I don't quite know the intricacies as I try not to give them much thought. I believe people have real trouble with accepting things that they do not believe in, and use religion as an excuse to denounce the views of others to assure themselves that they're right. It may seem like I'm being pedantic, but there is, to me, a tangible difference between the two.

I'm not saying religion doesn't have its flaws, but I believe, at its core, it's about promoting love, respect and tolerance amongst everyone. People may extrapolate other things from it, but that's down to their perception of life and who they are as a person.

• Upvote 1

Does that imply that religions are 'outside' of man? They are man made constructs and so aren't perfect, look at the Koran and the bible, both full of hate and contradiction. Those books form the basis for both major religions and the bad bits that give permission to the cunts exist.