You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

14 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Genuinely wish I was that way. My nan lost two kids before they were ten and her husband before she was 50. She died when I was 11 but she always seemed so happy 

My gran lost her husband when she was 30 but had already had 6 kids (5 of whom survived). When she was in her 80’s she told my cousin’s wife she loved reading racy Mills & Boon type novels but didn’t understand what an orgasm was. Thank fuck I wasn’t in that room.  

HASTY EDIT!!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Genuinely wish I was that way. My nan lost two kids before they were ten and her husband before she was 50. She died when I was 11 but she always seemed so happy 

There are times when I'm talking to people - friends and family - about someone we've lost and they'll be taking some comfort from the dead person looking down and watching us; I'm always just thinking "Nah. They're just dead."  I keep it to myself, like.

On 06/12/2021 at 14:30, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The whole concept of prayer is one of the things that got me drifting away from my Catholic upbringing. If God is all-knowing, all-powerful and all-loving (and if he isn't, he's not worth worshipping) why would he do stuff that you ask for, instead of just doing what's best anyway.

Even weirder is the Catholic tradition of intercession of the saints: why would you need to ask someone else to pass a message on to an omniscient God?

Then there's the thing about pilgrimages to"holy sites". If God is omnipresent (and, again, if he's not, fuck him) then every square inch of the Universe is as holy as every other square inch.

I concluded that so much of the religion I'd been brought up with was just man-made tradition bolted on to stuff, that when I stripped all that rubbish back, I couldn't find anything that I could have faith in.

We both rebelled against our Catholic education. The bastards couldn't grind us down.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-61239761

Thanjavur accident: Eleven electrocuted in India temple procession

At least 11 people were electrocuted and 15 others injured during a religious procession held by a temple in Tamil Nadu in southern India.

The accident occurred when the temple chariot came in contact with a high-transmission live wire in Thanjavur district, police said.

Two children were among the dead. Officials said the toll could go up as some of the injured were critical.

A case has been lodged and police have opened an investigation.

Fire and rescue services official Bhanupriya, who uses only one name, told BBC Tamil that a generator which was powering the chariot got stuck on a curve in the road. While adjusting it, the top of the chariot came in contact with the high-voltage wire.

Eyewitnesses said the toll could have been much higher if it had not been for a puddle of water on the road - around 50 devotees walking alongside the chariot had stepped aside mere seconds earlier to avoid it.

Senior police officials told NDTV news channel that the high-voltage line along the procession route is normally turned off. But this time, the supply was not cut because the chariot was not tall enough to touch the power lines.

"But it seems that decorations on it increased its height and it came into contact with the live wire," NDTV reported, quoting a senior police official.

A video of the incident showed the chariot completely destroyed.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin is travelling to Thanjavur to visit the site of the accident and to meet the families of the bereaved. His office has announced financial assistance of 500,000 rupees ($6,542; £5,185) for the families of those killed in the accident.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted that he was "deeply pained" by the accident. "My thoughts are with the bereaved families in this hour of grief," he wrote and promised assistance of 200,000 rupees ($2,608; £2,073) to the families of the dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...