You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Who have you got in mind here SD?

Obviously you've got the Moors conquering Spain, or al-Andalus.  I believe the native Christians weren't best pleased at the time, but it could be said that leaving behind the Alhambra has balanced that out from a historical point of view. 

Mongols in Eastern Europe?

Any others?

Mongols killed over 10% of the population, that was so significant it impacted on the climate.    No guilt in Mongolia, they’ve got a 50m high statue of Genghis. 

6 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Not to forget all those non-Western empires which conquered bits of Europe, long before the Crusades or Conquistadors were even a thing.

Added to this those non Palestinian bunch who are conquering places that don’t belong to them to this very day. Oh sorry, awkward facts .... 

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The whole planet, really? Fucking hell.

What was the Khan cultural legacy like in Eastern Europe?

Although I’m guessing they might not have been that fussed about leaving one.

The Yuan Dynasty in China, Timurid dynasty in Central Europe, Mughals in India all descended from the Mongols. 

The Mongols are hated in the middle East and they utterly destroyed the Muslim power base in the Arab world and the sack of Baghdad was a terrible slaughter. They think the same of Alexander

The pony express was a Mongol idea(the Yam) in the era of Mongol rule teacher where exempt from tax and it led to a mass expansion of knowledge in printing of books and scientist gaining knowledge. They were also free from the religious strife of Europe Christians, Buddhists, Muslims and others lived together in the empire without war. 

Far from the horseback savages that get written about. 

The Huns and Ottomans another two that invaded Europe. The Huns origins are of Central Asia. 

• 1 month later...

What it was like for you before birth will be the same as it will be after death. Some people may find that nothingness terrifying but I find it quite comforting. This life and you are one offs, so make it as good as possible - if Gods and religion are your thing, well, enjoy them too, but not to the extent that they fuck other people's lives up. Make it all gravy.

21 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I'm tempted to get it printed up as a t-shirt but I don't want to look a twat if I bump into some hardcore fans demanding to know my favourite songs. 

I demand to know what hair lacker the one on the left uses 

Cardinal George Pell, acquitted on a technicality by the high Court after being found guilty by a jury of multiple child abuse charges, has returned to Rome as one of the highest ranking Catholics.

He also took no action against multiple acts of child abuse by a now notorious pedophile priest except to change his parish each time his crimes were reported.

His usefulness to the Church is action against the misappropriation of HUNDREDS of millions in church funds.

Think on that the next time the collection plate comes around.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I read most of that report this morning. It’s a disgrace. To think that nonces wouldn’t be attracted to what amounts to a safe environment to fuck kids is madness.