You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Oh, mate.

Maybe take a moment to consider what you're doing with your life.

Steady. The traffic on this place would go from tsunami to trickle without the various lifelong grudges and sworn enemies.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd just settle for people not calling me a racist based on word counts.

Being back in Australia after a few years in the UK, it’s weird... I’m not sure it’s better or worse certainly people here are less PC than people in the UK, in a way that makes me a bit uncomfortable... being a PC tit. Like I noticed a mate of mine the other day, singing along to a song... singing the n-word without any care... He’s not racist at all but it’s certainly a racially charged word. As @skaro mentioned the other day, anglos call would refer to Southern and Eastern Europeans  as “wogs” and not a single soul would bat an eyelid... is that racist? I definitely thought it was, although it probably isn’t based on technicality.. as Greek is not a race and neither is Croat for example. They definitely have different standards down here.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

As @skaro mentioned the other day, anglos call would refer to Southern and Eastern Europeans  as “wogs” and not a single soul would bat an eyelid... is that racist?

I'd say so. I've pulled up people on here for using that word before.

Obviously it's not in the same league of racism as a person who thinks religious extremism is bad, but yeah.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The surveys that explain which aspects of Sharia law they're referring to make it quite clear that the emphasis is on civil issues like divorce and banking; and even then it's a minority. 

You've still not provided any evidence to show that it would be reasonable to assume that a person supports FGM, honour killings or (the worst aspects of) Sharia law.

Personally, if I wanted to know someone's opinions on stuff, I'd ask them their opinions on stuff; asking their religion and guessing at what they are "likely" to think seems daft, at best. 

It’s almost like there’s a prejudice in there. That, the time he said Muslims were good at violence, the defence of racist shit, the constant negative shit about trans people, and him lumping everyone on the left together is indicative of some very unsavoury shit. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Now this creates a very interesting dilemma.  You now acknowledge that there’s evidence that UK Muslims views on homosexuality aren’t in line with modern thinking (I think you used the word atrocious).  You also advocate asking individuals of their views.  So, are you going to ask any Muslims you encounter their individual views on the subject as you suggest?  I bet you aren’t.   You’ll do what I do, accept it’s possible and just get on with things. 

Not "possible", "likely".

Do you actually think that the next Muslim person you meet is likely to believe in FGM and honour killing?

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If wog is racist is wag sexist?

can-of-worms-gif-8.gif

I don't think 'wag' should be deemed sexist but if we are staying consistent with the present days toleration of anything then I'd say it isn't just sexist but its racist, genderist and pugilist. 

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're wrong.  Admit it.  Learn something.  Move on.

You'll be happier.

Ha ha. Yes boss. 

So, you asking anyone about their views on homosexuality? I mean, don’t make assumptions, you need to ask.  

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Maybe not, but I think Muslims as a group are. 

But what are "Muslims as a group" but all individual Muslims taken together?

So you still contend that the next Muslim person you meet is likely to believe in FGM and honour killing.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Jim Davidson and Chubby Brown are mightily relieved.

I’m not homophobic now, I was when I was younger. I mean, 14 years of Catholic education in the 70’s makes a mark. Now, is that my fault, or the religion?  

32 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m not homophobic now, I was when I was younger. I mean, 14 years of Catholic education in the 70’s makes a mark. Now, is that my fault, or the religion?  

Because the only homophobes in the 70s - or now - are religious people. 

Like you, I grew up a Catholic in the 70s and I used to hold opinions and use language that were pretty homophobic. I also used a lot of racist and anti-Semitic language, too; I didn't get that from the church.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Because the only homophobes in the 70s - or now - are religious people. 

Like you, I grew up a Catholic in the 70s and I used to hold opinions and use language that were pretty homophobic. I also used a lot of racist and anti-Semitic language, too; I didn't get that from the church.

That’s absolutely not what I said.  

My homophobia was rooted (phnarr) in the religious instruction I received over 14 yrs.  I hope you aren’t denying my personal experience.  As soon as I met openly gay people I realised they were not devils, or likely to try and convert me (too ugly, small dick).