You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

I think Israel/Palestine is more about naitionalism/statehood than religion.  Much more.

The thread connecting Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Ethiopian jews is Judaism. It’s absolutely about religion. They passed the nation state law last year I think. Israel is a theocracy.

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The thread connecting Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Ethiopian jews is Judaism. It’s absolutely about religion. They passed the nation state law last year I think. It’s a theocracy.

Israël is a theocracy?  

I've never once heard that word used to describe it, but there you go, fair enough.

Doesn't seem it at all to me.

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

Israël is a theocracy?  

I've never once heard that word used to describe it, but there you go, fair enough.

A strange theocracy whose first, fourth and fifth Prime Ministers were atheists.

8 minutes ago, skaro said:

Israël is a theocracy?  

They passed the nation state law last year. They are now formally a theocracy, but one could reasonably argue it’s always been since it’s inception. 

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

A strange theocracy whose first, fourth and fifth Prime Ministers were atheists.

By the same token then Iran isn’t a theocracy because Mossadegh ran a secular government. Come on SD you’re better than that.

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

By the same token then Iran isn’t a theocracy because Mossadegh ran a secular government. Come on SD you’re better than that.

Not remotely "by the same token", because Mossadegh was overthrown and a completely new regime took over.

59 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Did that really happen? Was it any worse than dropping drones or bombs on them? And how has yet another thread which has nothing to do with either turned into another anti Muslim thread? You are obviously prejudiced against Muslims in particular but I'm not sure that the word for it is actually 'racist' but its something similar.

It’s the faith and religion thread. Which thread would you prefer us to discuss faith and religion? Maybe the MILF thread, or the Jeremy Corbyn one? 

Yes it did happen. 

I’m entirely convinced if all religion disappeared tomorrow then the world would be a better place. You’d still get extremists drawn to other causes but how many millions do bad shit they aren’t comfortable with but think ‘well, the priests say it’s the right thing so who am I to argue?’  I don’t mean shooting babies but oppressing women, hating the ‘other’ religion or sect (see the Emo joke)  

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not remotely "by the same token", because Mossadegh was overthrown and a completely new regime took over.

Yeah by your lot, if anything it doesn’t make them as bad. Israelis actually chose to be governed by religious nutters.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Especially as Rico lifted it directly of John Lennon and tried to claim it as his own.

What the fuck are you on about? Shouldn’t you be wrapped up in a Union Jack somewhere wanking over a picture of Nigel Farage? 

Yeah a bit close to the bone that aRdja although I know you didn’t mean it how it could read to some. 

NV has made a right count of himself in this. Snidey behaviour yet pontificates like his shit don’t stink. Proper gobshite. 

At least the rest of us are honest about being cunts. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rotpeter said:

You're getting very close to something very distasteful.

54 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah a bit close to the bone that aRdja although I know you didn’t mean it how it could read to some. 

NV has made a right count of himself in this. Snidey behaviour yet pontificates like his shit don’t stink. Proper gobshite. 

At least the rest of us are honest about being cunts. 

I don’t understand. It’s common knowledge that the UK overthrew Mossadegh because he wanted to nationalise BP... I won’t argue with you that it’s distasteful but it’s the truth. In this case you just have to deal with it I’m afraid.

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t understand. It’s common knowledge that the UK overthrew Mossadegh because he wanted to nationalise BP... I won’t argue with you that it’s distasteful but it’s the truth. In this case you just have to deal with it I’m afraid.

It was the "you lot" bit. Don't get me wrong, I hate Zionists as much as anyone. Just not Jews as a general thing. Although many are absolute fucking twats 

15 minutes ago, aRdja said:

And if you start sounding like a bigot, people will call you out.  Deal with it.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was the "you lot" bit. Don't get me wrong, I hate Zionists as much as anyone. Just not Jews as a general thing. Although many are absolute fucking twats 

Your lot as in brits not jews Stig. I was talking about Iran not Palestine.