You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elmyn Noos

Where would you put your X?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you put your X?

• Conservative
    • Libdem
    • Labour
    • Independent/Other (state who)
    • I wouldn't vote, because I'm a tit. Neg me. Neg me hard.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
[YOUTUBE]PZtVm8wtyFI[/YOUTUBE]

I've always thought he was wet, but this interview was the suitcase bomb for me. There's just nobody home.

If you're judging him solely on that, we've got bigger problems!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the underclass are the ignorant ones in this equation, they don't - or didn't - vote Labour because they believed, quite rightly, that Labour didn't give a shit about them.

The villains of the piece to my mind are the new middle class, the lower middle class, or upper working class, whatever you want to call them. The local lads/girls done good, people whose parents probably worked in a factory or a shop, but who through Labour's expansion of further education have managed to make themselves teachers etc. These are very often the voters who think 'me me me', while also being too dense to look beyond the ITN footage of Gordon Brown picking his nose. They're also the most likely to repeat the phrase 'scroungers' and 'Labour maxed out the credit card'.

Spot on

Guest Numero Veinticinco
A Labour leader saying those strikes were wrong is a problem mate.

Inspite of any political strategy.

He's trying to stop Cameron's 'divide and conquer'. The robotic answers are a common tactic (from politicians on all sides) to counter the 'snippet' culture in the media.

I keep saying I think he's wet, that he's not a particularly good leader (although, calling him abysmal is premature), and that he's not the person I'd want. However, I don't feel that all of the criticism flying his way is fair. I feel the same about Clegg, but his crime is far greater.

At the end of the day we can blame the parties all we want but the real unpalatable fact is that the voting public is a bunch of cock suckers detached from reality.

Can't entirely blame them for being disenfranchised and thinking all politicians are liars (unless you're a LD, who aren't lying power-hungry opportunists but superheroes compromising for the good of the nation). Most of the younger ones have probably never worked and see politics as a post-uni career; more concerned with climbing the ladder than public service.

You're on about a group of people who are about as popular as bankers, tabloids and the police.

A real tribute to the quality of British politics, this thread.

I remember having this discussion with you a long time ago, but I genuinely think a "None of the above" option on ballot papers would be a great idea.

You said you preferred spoilt papers, but I still think that the message is 'hidden' in that.

There would be a big turnout, and a large percentage of people would go for "None of the above" as an option to protest against the current scrap for the centre-right battleground and lack of genuine and credible alternative.

The majority of people hold politicians in absolute contempt.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I remember having this discussion with you a long time ago, but I genuinely think a "None of the above" option on ballot papers would be a great idea.

You said you preferred spoilt papers, but I still think that the message is 'hidden' in that.

There would be a big turnout, and a large percentage of people would go for "None of the above" as an option to protest against the current scrap for the centre-right battleground and lack of genuine and credible alternative.

The majority of people hold politicians in absolute contempt.

I've always ridiculed compulsory voting and I've always been against it, but I'm more and more swayed by the argument. We need people engaged if we're going to do what's best for the citizens of this country.

He's trying to stop Cameron's 'divide and conquer'. The robotic answers are a common tactic (from politicians on all sides) to counter the 'snippet' culture in the media.

I keep saying I think he's wet, that he's not a particularly good leader (although, calling him abysmal is premature), and that he's not the person I'd want. However, I don't feel that all of the criticism flying his way is fair. I feel the same about Clegg, but his crime is far greater.

I voted him my first preference as of those available he was closet (most left) to my beliefs.

All the criticism going his way isn't fair I agree mate (although a fair whack is), lots of it will be anger and frustration at this coalition spilling over.

However, if a Labour leader can't support this strike when could he ever support one?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
However, if a Labour leader can't support this strike when could he ever support one?

Like I say, I think he's trying to avoid the trap previous Labour leaders have fallen into. I dunno, British politics fucking sucks at the moment.

There needs to be a new option. New policies on education, on the economy, on social justice, welfare, healthcare... and much more. Nobody is offering that, so I guess we just have to go with the least worst?

Totally agree with this, Andrew. To be honest, the economic issues of Cameron's decision are unclear (and as good as immaterial if an intergovernmental agreement sits happily in place of a treaty while doing exactly the same thing). However, the political relish was written all over his face as he made that statement; he fucking loved the way he'd drawn in the right of his party and sent out the ultimate Little Englander statement of intent to the electorate at large.

This situation has been as good as engineered by the right of the Tory party ever since they came into power. They appreciated from the word go that Europe was on the ropes economically speaking and the rhetoric has been slowly manoeuvring Cameron into a position where this was the desired outcome.

This had absolutely fuck all to do with national interest and everything to do with giving the Tories a political lifeline at the next election when the economy will make their already weak position with the electorate completely untenable. This is almost Cameron's Falklands in so far as it plays to all the jingoistic prejudices of the Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph/Sun reading tits in this country and has the capacity to render all the other shit politically insignificant. Furthermore, it draws a clear line between these cunts and Clegg's cunts.

Fuck me, I hate these cynical bastards.

I dont buy the bit in bold. The economy will be the deal breaker and by far the most significant battle ground in the next election, the cuts havent even started to bite hard yet and there are still plenty of people who's lives havent been affected by the downturn. The shit hasnt really hit the fan yet.

I fucking hate that, i think the country is crying out for a charismatic leader or someone they can at least relate to.

"Labour voters who voted Lib Dem"? Talk about an oxymoron. If they voted Lib Dem, they're a Lib Dem voter.

You are aware of what I was getting at. Don't pretend otherwise. You only have to look at this site alone to see how many people who voted for you didn't want you in a coalition with the Tories.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I fucking hate that, i think the country is crying out for a charismatic leader or someone they can at least relate to.

It's a downward spiral. The media catch somebody out, that person becomes more guarded, the media try harder and uses snippets to misrepresent somebody, then it slowly goes down hill to the point where a politician will repeat his answers, almost verbatim, so that he can't be caught out.

It's just a fucked system. Nothing will improve until we get a real visionary.

It's a downward spiral. The media catch somebody out, that person becomes more guarded, the media try harder and uses snippets to misrepresent somebody, then it slowly goes down hill to the point where a politician will repeat his answers, almost verbatim, so that he can't be caught out.

It's just a fucked system. Nothing will improve until we get a real visionary.

Too many politicians see it as a job and not a calling, scared to make a mistake and being cast out into the political wilderness with party leadership offering no support. Im sick of watching politicians avoiding questions, half the time just trotting out the party line on any given subject. It boils my piss. We need a visionary....but would such a person actually get far enough up the chain to make a difference? In the current system i dont think he would.

The proposal to make voting mandatory, coupled with the inclusion of the 'none of the above' option on voting papers would be the first step to a fundamental shift in the way this country is governed. It is something that none of the current protagonists would want, as the comfortable status quo would be blown away in the first election.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Too many politicians see it as a job and not a calling, scared to make a mistake and being cast out into the political wilderness with party leadership offering no support. Im sick of watching politicians avoiding questions, half the time just trotting out the party line on any given subject. It boils my piss. We need a visionary....but would such a person actually get far enough up the chain to make a difference? In the current system i dont think he would.

No, not a chance. The system is weighted to weed out people who'd make significant change. It's an organic process, not a conscious decision to stop them, it's just set up for people like that to fail.

We need a popular revolution.

The only way to be sure is to take off and nuke them from orbit. Get rid of them all and start afresh.

Well ,my Uncle Arthur used to have a saying: "Shoot 'em all and let God sort them out." Unfortunately, one day he put his theory into practice. It took 75 Federal Marshals to bring him down. Now let's never speak of this again.

Guest davelfc
The proposal to make voting mandatory, coupled with the inclusion of the 'none of the above' option on voting papers would be the first step to a fundamental shift in the way this country is governed. It is something that none of the current protagonists would want, as the comfortable status quo would be blown away in the first election.

I'm all for making voting mandatory, they do it lots of countries. In Brazil they close the pubs the day before and on voting day and ban the sale of alcohol. I know it's mandatory in Australia too, voting that is, they could never get away with not serving alcohol there.

The problem I have is it's a popularity contest, spun by the media. My daughter (who was old enough to vote at the last election) announced that 'Cameron seemed like a nice man, and didn't he lose a baby'

So although I am all for mandatory voting, most voters are idiots.

I'm all for making voting mandatory, they do it lots of countries. In Brazil they close the pubs the day before and on voting day and ban the sale of alcohol. I know it's mandatory in Australia too, voting that is, they could never get away with not serving alcohol there.

The problem I have is it's a popularity contest, spun by the media. My daughter (who was old enough to vote at the last election) announced that 'Cameron seemed like a nice man, and didn't he lose a baby'

So although I am all for mandatory voting, most voters are idiots.

It's fair to say that most people in the country are not equipped with the tools to make a rational decision. Some will be stupid, more will be ignorant, and more still will be badly informed.

Mandatory voting + 'none of the above' on the ballot slip = revolution. It may be a particularly polite, 'British', revolution, but it would happen imo.

The televised debates contributed to that at the last election, they were a right shot in the arm for Clegg. It's almost like X Factor with snapshot post-show popularity polls.

If you're judging him solely on that, we've got bigger problems!

When I'm wary of spin and long for a real statesman with brains and gravitas, why wouldn't I judge a political leader on the fact he seemingly doesn't have the verbal or mental skills to get his point across without repeating the exact same sentence no less than five times in two minutes, and also insists on being pictured in front of his family photographs at all times?