You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

kenny press conference today

Gym Beglin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

When the king of the one-liners gets serious, then it is time to sit up and take notice.

And when it is the King of the Kop himself talking about persecution and victimisation of his star player, then maybe even the FA will have to stop and listen for a moment.

Kenny Dalglish is hardly known for his controversial statements.

He is the original straight-bat manager - almost creating an industry out of saying nothing.

On Thursday though, he took the FA to task for what he sees essentially as a victimisation of his player Luis Suarez, a systematic attempt by opponents to undermine the South American, that is finding encouragement in the inconsistency of the governing body's disciplinary structure.

The Liverpool manager has been loathe to shout too loudly about the charges Suarez has faced this season - first for allegedly aiming racist abuse at Patrice Evra, and then, on Monday night, aiming an obscene gesture at Fulham fans.

Yet there is clearly a growing fear within Anfield that their star striker is not only being marginalised by constant claims of diving, he is also being victimised by referees and the governing body itself, for falling for the taunts.

The manager put it bluntly as he insisted that Suarez causes so much fear in the minds of his opponents, they will now do anything to put him out of their stride.

"They cannot stop him on the pitch, so they try and stop him other ways off the pitch. They're trying to put things into people's minds, to get into their brains," he said.

"They are looking at ways to undermine him. But the people here, we know the truth about what is happening, and we will stick by him. We are not asking for anything special, we just want consistency.

"Fairness - that is all we are saying. He is being accused of this, of that, of everything, and there is a bandwagon that people are jumping on."

At the heart of Dalglish's presentation was the growing fear that Suarez could be banned twice within a matter of days, with both hearings due to sit before Christmas.

If he is found guilty, he faces anything up to an eight match ban in total, which would rule him out for much of January, devastating Liverpool's season in the process.

What rankles with Dalglish is the idea that Suarez is a cheat, a diver who needs the merest touch to go down.

The reality, he argued, is almost the mirror opposite.

In an almost surreal episode, a huge video screen descended from the ceiling of the media room at the Melwood training ground, and the manager proceeded to talk members of the press through several incidents in Monday night's game.

He did it not to lambaste the FA or the match officials, but to highlight clearly his points.

In all, he showed four clips, two of which saw Suarez take an almighty clattering from defenders, without receiving as much as a free-kick, and one of Craig Bellamy remaining restrained under intense provocation from Clint Dempsey.

In Liverpool's mind, that lack of protection is fostered by the cynical attempts to paint Suarez as a cheat.

And there is also the question of whether the inconsistency in dealing with the charges is generated by those mounting claims against him.

The answer, according to Dalglish, is major reform of a system he in part described as "a joke", and one which can be undermined by the very arbiters of justice appealing themselves against UEFA disciplinary measures.

He wants to see referees given clearer guidelines, and a better understanding of what is happening in front of them, and he believes that could come through far better and more frequent communication with clubs.

He also wants the FA to listen more closely to what the clubs are saying, so they can offer a consistent interpretation of their own rules.

"Somebody more intelligent than me can draw up something which is going to be helpful. But certainly we need to help each other to understand where we are coming from and where we are up to," he said.

"There needs to be more consistency, and more clarity. We don't want to put any referee any undue pressure. There's a train of thought the louder you shout the more sympathetic they are to giving you decisions but the job is difficult enough without us putting them under more pressure.

"All we want to do is be treated the same as anyone else. Every time - for the referee to make decisions on what he sees. I've shown you a few clips there that highlight the inconsistency (from the Fulham game), but there are many more.

"If they just sat down and spoke to people in football they'd get a better understanding of it and maybe we'd get a better understanding of them.

"They say they send referees every year to your football club but that referee never officiates one of your games, so it needs to be wider than that.

"There needs to be much more of a dialogue."

Liverpool: Luis Suarez being victimised on the pitch and off it claims Kenny Daglish - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

The F.A are aware of Kenny's comments. Only a few hours after the press conference, and coincidently Rooney getting his suspension reduced, they come out with a bullshit statement regarding the appeal process.

We've probably saved ourselves the effort in regards to not appealing Spearings red. That fact that it was only last week that they overturned Gary Cahill's sending off after a referees fuck up, makes me think that there was no fucking chance of them overturning another, so soon after.

After all. How can they lobby the respect campaign when most of the leagues refs are inept.

Well, Kenny certainly put the thick FA idiots & the nodding dogs (read FA Lapdogs) of the media in their place on the mat beneath the boot of a True master of the art of manipulation with that little masterpiece of a conference no? The clear Highlights being the "testimonial for Suarez re' That charge" remark and of course cinematic style screening of Suarez being kicked to fuck all night long on Monday; Along of course with Bellamy being mistaken for a drunkard who'd insulted his girlfriend outside a nightclub by Dempsey with that pathetic little 'headpush' (read headbutt) A screening that whilst not bothering Cineworld or the nearby Multiplex businesses anytime soon? Will have left the FA choking on their cognac when they either viewed it themselves or heard about it themselves via their spies in the media (that's all of them in case you were unaware).

Oh and Regarding the dark arts of ahem 'influence'? Who do you think the red nosed whisky drinker down the road learned it from in the First place? There is no match between them as managers and manipulators really other than the time barrier by Kenny's not being in the game so long - If he had? I've no doubt he'd have won as much as Ferguson and mayhap more besides that...........

On another note - Is it just me or could we do what Taggart used to be So good at and turn this massive (and surely deliberate on part of both the FA & certain others) negative into a positive? Not just by fostering a siege mentality with the obvious "up yours/two fingered salute to the FA" as it were effect amongst team/club/management and fans but also? Maybe we could give Suarez a much needed rest since right now he's done something similar to the Torres schedule of a few years back that in the end completely wrecked him as a player for a while - You remember? When he played two whole Premier League seasons with FA/Carling Cups & Champions League campaigns thrown in and afte each season? Played in the Euro 2008 Tournament And then the Confederations Cup the following summer without a reasonable rest until 2010 IIRR just before the World Cup when he had to rest thanks to finally inevitably getting badly injured v Benfica in April.

In comparism and unless I'm wrong which I don't think I am on this one - Suarez is now at the same crossroads with the Big difference that we might just cope without him; Consider - In the last 2 or so years thus far? Luis Suarez has played 1 and a half (thus far) Full seasons for Ajax & Liverpool with Dutch Cup Competitions, Carling Cup, Champions League and even the odd Friendly fixture all thrown in - That's in addition to playing the World Cup in 2010, the Copa America This summer and all of that? With barely a rest or serious injury as yet. Maybe we can give him what he really needs now and IMHO? I just think what's happened recently might just have been the result of him making errors of judgement after losing his concentration on the field far more often recently than before; There's a very simple reason this has happened in my view because if nothing else? I think the lads just basically utterly knackered & burned out now from all that non-stop football for nearly 2 years & now? He's finally starting to make mistakes & errors of judgement he wouldn't do so otherwise if he wasn't so worn-out; He's just completely tired out and could do with a rest then come back raring and firing for the rest of the season in order for us to shove it up the FA's Nose by winning something hopefully with Him In the side.

And we Do have the squad to pull it off (just) I think. After all, no-one's mentioned that besides the fact that Carroll getting all the responsibility as he had at Newcastle for our attack might just fire him up to do what he used to do so well for them and bully defences but also and the Real ace in the pack in my view? We have a like for like replacement for Luis now in Bellamy - We could quite easily slot Craig into the attack for the month of January were Luis to be banned by the gutless wonder that is our National Joke formerly known as the FA and? We could still without Luis IMO quite easily create absolute havoc as if he'd never been away - More in fact were Bellamy to be the fulcrum of such an attacking design/setup as IIRR he's dovetailed very well so far whenever played with Maxi Rodriguez and during our purple patch from March - May last season? Kuyt Always played well when paired with Rodriguez and the pair of them caused utter chaos in defences when played together frequently ending in barrages of goals - Just ask Fulham, Man U, Newcastle and Birmingham City to name but 4. We Could have done with that sort of attacking devilment, fire & trickery on Monday night come to think of it along with during all those ridiculous draws but that's all in the past now more's the pity.

But anyway if Two of them can cause that sort of complete chaos and totally destroy well-drilled defences in short order like that? Then just imagine what adding the volatile, dangerous and sometimes brilliant Bellamy (He was utterly exquisite for Maxi's first goal at the Bridge a few weeks ago) to the mix would do? I think the FA might just have thrown our opponents out of the frying pan and into Our fire without even knowing it as yet. I don't know - Maybe what I'm saying Won't come to pass after all but Kenny's always seemed a bit To calm recently in face of the almost certain loss of his star striker and it got me thinking as to why - That is the most plausible answer I could come up with and I'll hazard a guess that it's in Kenny's plans to though he's said little as yet & as ever (quite rightly or they'll go after Bellamy next). Either way? It could be those that are loving Suarez' predicament right now that end up cursing what happens as a result - Not that any of them know it yet & by the time they do? It will be Far to late to do anything about it......................

NB Craig showed Luis the way the other night in the face of Dempseys deliberate provocation although maybe he Should have got the American sent off in view of the ensuing disaster!! Just ignore them - I trust Suarez will have learned that now but unfortunately for us? It will most probably be learnt in the Hard School of a multi-match ban to distract from John Terry's racism charge and as a result of the FA's pathetically transparent little 'mult-charge' crap intended to get Luis no matter what. Oh well, when they annoy Kenny? They're disturbing a sleeping Lion - If they wake him up or rouse him to anger? (which at this rate won't be long) - Then They've only themselves to blame if they end up missing their heads after he bites them off in response. Not that they don't merit it mind - The FA are by a distance The most amateurish, crony led, bungling, arrogant, self-important piece of crap by a distance in English Football.

In fact - That self-same FA are so bad that they in turn have managed to in the past praise our fans passion and knowledge and then? Turn those self-same fans into Sworn Enemies of the Worst kind of their own England side by their ridiculous actions of which this mess is just the latest in a long (and unending it seems) line. You really couldn't make it up & if it wasn't us? It would be almost comical but it is and that's not good right now. Basically? The FA have had what Kenny will do to them coming for a Long time now and no-one deserves it more...............

Edited by Redshadow

Didn't take them long did it? Only a day or so before This ridiculous argument was used - Mind I've been waiting for it since this whole diabolically biased & utterly pathetic subject came about thanks to the utter spineless and outrageously supine attitude in the face of certain vested interests of the laughably titled 'custodians of our national game' (Put it this way; If They are it's custodians? I really wouldn't like to meet the National Games Enemies!!!) - Just surprised it's taken them This long really in their completely mad crusade against all things from Anfield & the general direction of Liverpool FC.............

Check the link;

Facts fly in Rafael BenÃ*tez blitz on Liverpool grievances against FA | Football | The Guardian

Edited by Redshadow

Glad to see our leader (or their representative anyway) is right there in the trenches fighting With us against all the shite & poison fired at us this time!! 12 months ago the previous shower would have not only held the FA's coats while they stabbed us in the back but sharpened the knife and even shown them How to thrust with it. Glad those days are gone now & the club is One. We're a different proposition now in So many ways and already it's showing. No wonder they're worried about us in all quarters and indeed they're right to be...............

I'd come out, publicly, with all of the FA's inconsistencies and highlight past punishments, and not make any particular point with it.

I'd just make sure everyone could read it, and come to their own conclusions, the average fan would think it a lot worse than anything a journalist would ever write.

Just wish they'd announce whatever ban Suarez is going to get so we could deal with it. All this shit is dragging on so long.

The performance of the ref last Monday just makes me more angry and depressed the more I think about it. They should have genuinely been down to 9 men. How Dempsey stayed on the pitch (to score the winner) is sickening.

The failure to control your players charge is an utter disgrace and is concrete proof that some teams are let do what they want, while others have to suffer. “We’ll do what we want” the fans of one club chant; and they’re right.

Guest davelfc

Not the first time I've seen the words 'hodgson' and 'shitty' in the same sentence, but definitely the first time I've seen 'dignified' associated with him.

Now 'dignitas' is the one I really want to see.

Kenny's bang on the money about things need to be clearer for Refs and so fucking clear that they can't dictate the outcomes of games based on whatever bias they have.

Like, people can say inept and incompetent all they want but for some reason on Monday night, Kevin Friend definitely had no intention of giving us anything in that game and in fact seemed utterly biased in Fulham's favour. It wasn't ineptness it was fucking bias. To say he is inept is just excusing it.

What needs to happen is what I think Kenny's hinting at, it needs to change so they can't hide behind confusing rules.

We should make a case against the victimization of Luis, if they try to punish him now. Coincidence he's a foreigner (as well as an ace player for Liverpool)? I don't think so, but they won't buy the anti-LFC/pro Slur bias. We need to teach Fulham a lesson at Anfield.

I really dont get Kenny saying they cant stop him on the field, so they try to stop him otherwise. Its absolutely nonsense. Suarez is top player. But why are none of you admitting he does try to make the most of every contact and looks for freekicks. he has developed a bad reputation and because of his past exaggerations, he wont get freekicks he should have in the future. He put that doubt in refs mind. But no one want to give him any of the blame.

As far as the FA appealing the Rooney ban, get real....offcourse they are going to look after Englands best interest. They are Englands football federation for heaven sake. Russia appealed for arshavins ban and got it to two games. I swear you guys are more paranoid than ever and seem to believe everyone wants to stop you. Maybe its time to accept your own failings is not other peoples fault